Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

pessimist or realist?

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
either way surely no one can deny we are looking pretty much fooked at the moment with so many pivotal players injured, banned on their way out, etc. even Dickson should he prove useful will be off to the African nations cup. Barring a miracle I think we'll be lucky to scrape into the playoffs. I guess this is where Pards earns his dosh..

:)

Comments

• With so many games to go, still a reasonable squad and the prospect of players coming in in January, I have no doubt that our promotion ambitions will be alive or realised by the time the play off semis are being played.
  • As ever, pessimist
  • edited December 2007
    It's true that things don't look good. With the important loan signings going back and an ever increasing queue outside the treatment room it's going to be hard going for a while.

I think those suggesting our season's over and we'll be lucky to scrape the play-offs and we might as well write this season off as it's 'consolidation' are massively over reacting though.
  • I think we'll be there or thereabouts, play-offs for sure. Someones gonna get a prolonged chance and take it "big-time".....Dickson, McLeod, Racon, Moo2, Varney, not sure who but there's quality in there for sure, plus a couple of decent loan signings...can't wait for the second half of the season.
  • Lot's to look forward to still. We will be up there at the end of the season but may not be automatic promotion as I first thought.

Agree with Nug, someone's gonna shine through, whether it be an existing non-regular or a loan signing.

I've enjoyed this season and am sure will enjoy the rest as well ... my only regret is that it may be without Danny Mills.
  • I think I would only half agree with some of the comments above. In my view, someone who hasn't shone yet, needs to shine. I don't think we should be over-optimistic about a flood of talent arriving in January, although one or two astute signings could make a lot of difference at this lower standard. I still think the physically tough sides will give us problems and that the play offs might be the most we can hope for.
  • It looks a very open league. It looks like we might be losing Mills and possibly Sodje, and have lost Toddy, but Dickson is coming in to the reckoning and there is no guarantee that he'll be playing in the African Nations Cup. Regarding Mills we have Sankofa and Moo2 to replace him, but with Gibbs out and McCarthy not looking a brilliant buy we need a CB. Fortunately it is the CC and not the Prem and although the matches are coming thick and fast there are other teams with injury problems out there and there are some teams who shouldn't present too much difficulty provided we are organised. I think only West Brom have similar depth to us in the squad and that should get us through the next few games.

Pards first priority must be to shore up the defence - even with Mills and Sodje we've leaked too many goals and too many soft goals at that. If we can tighten up the back four I see no reason why we shouldn't be in the top three/four at Easter and be pushing for an automatic promotion place at the end of the season - remember what we achieve is relative to other teams around us and mo team has played us off the park, even if we have lost a few games. If the squad can gel and a good team spirit can be kindled then there is nothing to fear.
  • I'm a realist with closet pessimistic tendancies...:-). I think were about where I expected/hoped for. I expect us to be in the shake up at the end. Hoping for an automatic but secretly expecting that it might be a play off berth.