Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pretty grim to be honest

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
One of the most dour games i've seen in a long time. I know we have host of injury problems, but it was pretty awful to watch today.

What i don't understand is we had one striker that could not run because he is injured, another who is either completely out of confidence or simply not good enough, didn't muster a single shot between the two of them, and sitting on the bench is a fella who thinks Christmas has come early, bustling with confidence and who has scored 11 goals in three months in a league below, yet he stays sitting there.

You can't tell me that that Hull were a real step up to what he has been scoring goals against ?

Comments

• Options
    McLeod was so far away from Iwelumo for the whole of the 2nd half it was unbelievable. Thought Hull did a number on us today, scrapped kicked and fought for everything wasted time before we scored. Not a good spectacle, unless we get some players in like their nasty captain that's going to happen to us on occasions. Still would rather see ZZ, reid and players like that for us though.
  • Options
    Think you're being a bit harsh, alright it wasnt a very nice game to watch, but i thought we were ok, some good football at moments - why we persevere in playing back to weaver and letting him hoof it long is beyond me however, its never worked.

Dickson would presumably have made it on had Mills kept his mouth shut....shame cos i reckon his enthusiasm was exactly what we needed.

McCarthy and Magic were fine i thought, great tackle by Paddy the minute he came on.Powell was dreadful.
  • Options
    It was an awful game.

Instead of trying to play football, we played the game that Hull wanted us to, turning it into a physical battle which Hull were always going to come out on top of.

I think the referee allowed Hull to timewaste and niggle all game long, but that can't be blamed for the performance, as in the end, we were quite lucky to get a draw.

I think we need to work out how to play without Reid, or it will cost us. We missed Reid's ability to put a foot on the ball and pick a pass, as well as his driving us on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: trickyrickycafc[/cite]Instead of trying to play football, we played the game that Hull wanted us to, turning it into a physical battle which Hull were always going to come out on top of.

totally spot on - we played long ball boredom and the fact is we are never going to out bully people playing that
  • Options
    It was an awful game, and we had trouble coping with Hull's long/high ball rubbish and timewasting. (The match finished after 5pm.) Poor old Chris Powell had a mare too.

I'm kind-of with you here, AFKA, I was praying to see a fairytale debut by Chris Dickson. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but McLeod wasn't up to it today.
  • Options
    Chrissy is starting to show his age if we're honest, two mares in a week, he just can't deal with height or pace and when in the past his fantastic vision of the game was enough to make up the difference i think he might just about be coming to a close at this level
  • Options
    He'll be out when Basey's fit again.
  • Options
    Sad as it is to say I think you're right about Chrissy, looked to be struggling for pace and strength against some pretty mediocre opposition to be fair. But he's only there as back up and he gives everything he's got. Basey should be given an extended run when fit.
  • Options
    It was a sub-par performance but it is the first time in ages we've actually taken something when we didn't deserve to. It's clear powelly's best days are past him was hoping pardew would have seen to put semedo in at left as hull sought to exploit him the whole game.
  • Options
    Awful game but as a positive I thought McCarthy and Bougherra looked decent. That's a bonus considering it was an area we had concerns about previously. The midfield was ineffective to be honest, but that could have been down to the lack of training from the players injured in the week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i thought McCarthy looked solid, not sure about Bougherra though, there was one time in the second half when he completely followed the wrong side of the runner and a better throughball would have had the hull forward absolutely acres of space to run at weaver 1on1
  • Options
    It was a pretty miserable experience today, to be honest. The fact we couldn't cope with a team like Hull, who were happy to play a spoiling game from the kick off, says a lot about our abilities. Even playing 5 in midfield we couldn't get on top of a physical Hull midfield & Big Chris was even more isolated than normal. I though Holland was the pick of our midfield but I also thought Ambrose & ZZ were disappointing. Sam looked threatening until he was kicked into submission while Thomas really didn't look like he could be arsed (again). If only Jerome was half as good as he thinks he his, we would have one hell of a player. As it is, I really don't like his attitude & I can see why Pards fell out with him earlier in the season. Paddy looked good but Boogy looked very shaky at times. Powell is, sadly, now past it & Mills was just a disgrace. How many times can he throw himself to the ground & expect to get away with it??

The referee was, like most I have seen in this division, pretty weak. But you can't blame him for our abject failure to compete with another physical Championship team like Hull. Teams have sussed out we don't like the physical battle & Hull just followed in the footsteps of Plymouth, Burnley, Stoke, QPR etc. etc. by outfighting us all over the pitch.

We need some serious surgery in January if we are realistically going to compete for a play-off spot. I feel depressed & frustrated after today. We need to realise pretty quickly that we are not going to stroll this division & start battling for the right to get promoted.
  • Options
    To be fair to Pardew he had an enforced substitution when Sodje went off so early.

I don't think on what we've seen anyone can accuse Pards of being negative. Dickson would have been the third substitution for the last 20 or so if Pards was in a position to have the choice.

Agree Paddy looked ok and he applauded the fans too at the end.