Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On what has been

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
a pretty depressing day on the pitch I'd just like to compliment the Club on how they celebrated the 50th anniversary of the 7-6 game.

The programme was excellent and as an old codger it was good to see in particular John Hewie and Fred Lucas both of whom I saw play as a lad.

I'm not QUITE old enough to have seen Derek Ufton and "Buck" Ryan or the 7-6 game come to that.

Lancashire Lad, Vienna Addick or 'Appy if he lurks here might be able to give us a first hand account though.

Comments

• Options
    Who was the guy that took the ball into the covered end night, the best moment of the afternoon.
  • Options
    i think that was buck ryan who walked the ball into the net....
    i hope he wasn't using the ball that johnny summers' son had leant to the club cos it was the signed match ball from 50 years ago and i don't think it would've helped the condition of the ball !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Who was the guy that took the ball into the covered end night, the best moment of the afternoon.

Yes it was "Buck" Ryan.

I thought the same about the ball oohaaah!
  • Options
    The way the club and supporters jointly respect and celebrate our ex-players is something that everyone should be proud of.

I personally can't wait for 40 years time when the club wheel out for the Valley Kryptonite draw John Salako, Darren Pitcher and Amdy Faye :-)
  • Options
    Sorry I can't give a first hand account as my first match was four months later, but i do remember all those players and Johnny Summers will always be the one that sticks in my mind perhaps because he dies so young - a great centre forward, sorry striker!
  • Options
    been chatting this morning with someone who's first game was 1936, and still remembers games from that era really vividly. Will get an interview done in the new year as its fascinating listening.
  • Options
    What about the old girl who was 95, she looked a spring chicken as she ran onto the pitch.
  • Options
    yeah, but she was only running to escape the attentions of WSS, wasn't she?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]What about the old girl who was 95, she looked a spring chicken as she ran onto the pitch.

Yeah, but she's a lot younger than Chris Powell........... ;o)