Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Credit where it's due.....

edited December 2007 in General Charlton
in amongst all the negativity from yesterday was a performance that deserved praise. Depicted on here by many as some sort of pantomime dame, except possibly those of us at Selhurst a few months ago, Paddy MacCarthy put in a performance that showed that he does have something to offer. He is solid and wholehearted and gives his all. Alongside Sodje or Forch he could form a better partnership than any that includes Bougherra. If Pards wants to offload anyone in Jan he should look no further than 'Magic', never has a nickname been so undeserved. As a defender he is hopeless and to think he cost us 2.5m. I hope PaddyMac can go in to prove many of us wrong. And, in my opinion, he'd be a better bet as captain than Reidy.

Comments

• I was impressed with Paddy yesterday, too. He was a little bit at sea in the 1st half which is understandable while he was finding his feet, considering his lack of recent match practice.

But throughout the 2nd half he was dependable with good solid challenges and near the end he pulled off a minor miracle to prevent a late Hull chance.

We all know he's got the acceleration and turning circle of a double decker bus - but if he's positioning and reading the game well, with a pacy centre back alongside (think Costa & Fortune), then he should be able to do the job at this level.
  • totally agree....he looked awful at the start of the season, but credit where it's due, he showed plenty of character saturday and had an excellent game when he came on,

Magic on the other hand is an accident waiting to happen....
  • Yeah, fair play to Paddy he did well.

I actually quite like Magic.............I'll get me coat!
  • yeah McCarthy was the nuts at Palace but one game don't make you a good player. Same goes for Hull game. But take you back to the Stoke game away where he was just plain shocking , the cup game against stockport and I am sure there are more.

Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed because he obviosuly has something about him just need to see it more often.

Have to agree on Bougherra I shudder whenever the ball goes near him as he thinks he's better than he is.
  • magic had trouble clearing a ball 10 yards on Saturday lucky he was only 6 yards out when he scored.He looks extremely low on confidence surely he isn't that bad,but at present i am unimpressed with him.
  • Agree about Magic, Steve & others.

There's no denying his ability but there's something jittery going on inside his head.

Football is a game of confidence, focus & mental strength.
    And if he hasn't developed that, then all the ability in the world won't help him much.