Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maybe some of us should listen to Fergie...

WSSWSS
edited January 2008 in General Charlton
No, not the lead singer of the black eyed peas but one of the greatest managers ever:

"The crowd come to be entertained but sometimes we need them to help us get the right kind of performance."

Comments

• Options
    Maybe Fergie has a fair point with the fans at Old Trafford but i think the Valley faithful have put up with a lot of dross in the recent past. Although i'm not in the same fury as others, i am fed up with Pards going on about how, along with West Brom, we're the best footballing team in the league, when the times we've actually showed this have been few and far between. A couple of decent signings and the return of Reid will be massive and i still think we'll go up automatically.
  • Options
    Yep - I havn't a problem with that at all. I think the crowd need to get behind a team, lift then when they are down and show that we are right behind them.

BUT

doesn't help that when you take your seat at 2.55pm and hear the news that your team are playing 4-5-1 against the divisions bottom side.....instead of 4-4-2 and going for it from the off.

Also, playing 4-5-1 means the man "up-top" has to do a lot of work, bringing into play the other players around him. Unfortuneatly Big Chris can only flick on 20% of the balls that come his way and can't do anything himself. Of the midfielders only ZZ is capable of scoring with Semedo, Holland, Thomas and Sam contributing just 2 goals between them all season. This is just not acceptable and anybody at the game yesterday could see that. I agree 4-5-1 can work, but we don't have Ronaldo & Giggs on the wing - and certainly no Tevez or Rooney in the middle.

sort it out pardew or go.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's true but how often do their fans witness their team chasing games at home.
    Not winning most of our home games doesn't help matters...
  • Options
    I think Fergie is playing with the media as usual - They scrape a 1-0 win at home and so he blames it on the crowd rather than his players. Typical Fergie.

I still think safe standing would sort it all out at the valley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]I still think safe standing would sort it all out at the valley.

I think you're right, mate. The rigid seating arrangements invariably contribute to deadening the atmosphere.

If all the singers could be together (often happens at away matches and gives a much better atmosphere) then that in itself would create more noise and passion.

Given a choice, I'd stand - just like I always used to. No more having to get out of your seat every couple of minutes to make way for people leaving early 'to beat the traffic'.
  • Options
    Well the fans have hit back saying they are not allowed to stand and then a United spokesman said that there was not a persistent standing ejection policy! Does that mean he is saying that you're allowed to stand?!

Manchester United have hit back at a supporter’s claim that Old Trafford is like a “police state” which leaves supporters paralysed by fear.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson compared the atmosphere at Tuesday’s Barclays Premier League win over Birmingham to a funeral, urging fans to back the team more vocally.

Those comments have upset the IMUSA’s Colin Hendrie, who accused Ferguson of “a lack of understanding” of the plight supporters face.

United themselves, however, rejected any notion that stewards have been asked to adopt a heavy-handed approach.s

In the four games prior to Christmas – against Everton, Derby, Fulham and Sporting Lisbon – it is claimed that just three fans were ejected from Old Trafford in total.

A United spokesman said: “Any suggestion of an ejection policy for persistent standing is simply not borne out by the facts.”
  • Options
    I agree about the standing. Miss it big time.

I am in the back row with a concrete wall behind and even then the stewards tell us to sit down due to Health and Safety.