Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Marcus Bent goal celebration

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
What is that "pi" thing he does with his fingers?
Noticed Adebayor do it as well.

Comments

• Options
    so did Curtis Davies, Bramble and that bald, diving cock that used to play for them lot

something to do with promoting an initiative of developing young sportsmen that a whole host of prem players are involved in
  • Options
    thanks
  • Options
    I know what two fingered or one fingered sign id give him.
  • Options
    I'm in a minority I know, but I'd have him back like a shot.
  • Options
    some charity thing
  • Options
    I was led to believe it stood for "I'm a complete cnut"
  • Options
    If you look at the pic he /they are making a D which stands for DICKHEADS
  • Options
    I thought they were all making the letter 'A' !
  • Options
    i thought it meant he was having the snip
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    His dad shoulda had the snipp 40 years back !!
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    From the BBC:

Footballers are known for their inventive goal celebrations and the latest is the strange three-fingered "A" salute. But what does it mean?

From the robot and rocking the baby to Robbie Fowler's infamous line-snorting incident, footballers are always coming up with novel ways to express their joy at scoring a goal.

The "A" salute is the latest celebration sweeping the footballing world. After scoring a player spells out "A" using three fingers.

It stands for A-Star, a footballing initiative to open up pathways into employment for youngsters through sport and other creative activities

England international and Manchester City defender Micah Richards, Everton's Andy Johnson and Wigan Athletic's Titus Bramble and Marcus Bent are among the Premiership players doing it. And for once it's got a positive edge.

The three-fingered celebration is part of an initiative started by a group of players, called A-Star. It aims to open up pathways into employment for youngsters through sport and other creative activities. The "A" salute is visual shorthand for the initiative's motto: "every child is a star".

One of the players who started the celebration is QPR defender Fitz Hall, who is co-founder of the initiative.

He says he wants young people to express themselves in a positive manner and follow role models who don't glamorise "crime, guns or drugs".

"The sign is his way of doing the talking on the pitch," says a spokesman for Hall. "The initiative is his chance to give something back to the game."

Through football tournaments and activities organised by A-Star, children will be given a chance to showcase their talents and hopefully come away from the event with a sense of achievement.

"The sentiment of A-Star is to influence young people to be the best they can be," says Kenneth Bonsu, also a co-founder of the initiative.

"Whatever sphere or walk of life the young person may come from, the mantra of A-Star is that we believe that every child is a star."

The initiative is due to be officially launched this summer.

The initiative, and the positive message it's trying to promote, has been welcome in the footballing world after a series of scandals involving players, including rape allegations and assault charges.

In recent years goal celebrations have increasingly become a way for players to make a statement - personal or political - albeit often at the annoyance of the footballing authorities.

One of the most notable incidents involved Robbie Fowler. He raised his shirt after scoring a goal for Liverpool in a 1997 Cup Winners Cup quarter-final to reveal a T-shirt proclaiming support for sacked Liverpool dockers. He was fined £900 for doing it.
  • Options
    Is he still knobbing that silly northern tart from "I'm a Celeb"?...
  • Options
    Yes yes and Yes

so would i though her not him that is