Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Pards bought McLeod

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Back in the summer, I seem to remember we were all impressed by McLeod's You.tube video.
No doubt Pards saw it too and thought he'd found the next Darren Bent.

Although one of his goals looks more like the next Paulo Wanchope.

So here it is once again, not by popular demand, the video that made Pards buy Izzy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yrl-QAokyA

Comments

• Options
    put up bougherra's you tube that's even more impressive... i thought the camera never lied;-)
  • Options
    Could explain why Pards won't play him, none of those goals came from the a hopeful punt up field!!

I really do find it strange that, considering that Pardew said we would play our way out of the division, that he has continuing to play the long ball up to Big Chris in favour of using the pace of McLeod and Varney.

Give the guy a chance, we spent £1m on him ffs. Give him a run of games and if he can't step up then fair enough. To brand him as not good enough on what we have seen of him so far is imo just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Watching that again, I'm convinced the problem isn't the strikers as much as the midfield. Look at a lot of the chances he's put away and many of them rely on quick ball and pace.

It's about the service you get from midfield and ours is so hesitant and blunt right now it's no wonder McLeod isn't getting the kind of chances he needs. 4-5-1 don't help either.

Makes me wonder what they do in training.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Watching that again, I'm convinced the problem isn't the strikers as much as the midfield. Look at a lot of the chances he's put away and many of them rely on quick ball and pace.

Spot on.

We are so slow in our passing and build up play and I think that is why we struggle to break sides down at home.
  • Options
    If I remember correctly he signed him 'cause he had just failed with a late bid for Eastwood andcfelt he needed to do something.

methinks he is going to make the same mistake again - leave it to the last minute, miss out on the bargains and then have to pick up any scraps that are left lying around.

I hope that I am proved wrong - but seeing as we knew 3 weeks ago that Reid was out for 2 months I would hope that something is being arranged in this area as I type. QPR have already signed 3 players, Leicester a couple and even poor lowly Derby have sorted something out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If I remember correctly he signed him 'cause he had just failed with a late bid for Eastwood andcfelt he needed to do something.

methinks he is going to make the same mistake again - leave it to the last minute, miss out on the bargains and then have to pick up any scraps that are left lying around.

I hope that I am proved wrong - but seeing as we knew 3 weeks ago that Reid was out for 2 months I would hope that something is being arranged in this area as I type. QPR have already signed 3 players, Leicester a couple and even poor lowly Derby have sorted something out.

If you save par from a bunker do you see it as a shot saved or get annoyed that you missed the green in the 1st place?

How do you know we arent lining something up? We have never done any transfer business in the public domain and are highly unlikely to start any time soon with Murray and Co at the helm.
  • Options
    Even Darren Bent would have struggled to score in home games at the moment.

The McLeod video proves he thrives on the same type of service that Benty used to get.
    It might help if we play to the strengths of players?

No service usually means no chances. Even the best strikers find that a challenge.
    Big Chris is pretty battered at the moment - so surely Pards will rest him for the Cup match.

Then we'll be forced into different tactics. Won't we......?
  • Options
    You'd like to think so...

As I was saying in the Lisbie post, defences aren't scared of the long ball, it makes life easy for them. What does worry them is pace. We have strikers with pace, why are we not playing them and giving them the sort of service that seems pretty easy for a league 2 side?
  • Options
    My view, for what its worth, is that at home playing with 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 requires defenders to support midfield and attack much more than they do. Punting the ball up to a single striker doesn't help.

We have full backs who either because of age or inexperience or orders do not get forward enough. We have defenders who could get carry the ball out of defence to turn things around quickly. Too often we play the ball around in deep areas then launch it forward.

I am excited at the prospect of Moo2 and Youga (or Basey) coming into the team. In order for this to work, we need to be tight when defending and midfielders who can sit if necessary. Sort that out and I'm opimistic we'll still have a happy ending.

My team would be

Moo2 Sodje Fortune Youga or Basey
    Sam Semedo or Holland ZZ Reid Thomas

Varney

Subs: Gandolf, Magic, Racon, Big Chris and Dickson (or McLeod)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    We have full backs who either because of age or inexperience or orders do not get forward enough. We have defenders who could get carry the ball out of defence to turn things around quickly.[/quote]

Old Magic / Tragic did this on Tuesday, lost the ball and lay dead on the pitch whilst the ball was heading into the area for penalty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    I'd go with the same away from home but at the Valley play Mcleod in a 4-4-2. For me it's an either/or situation with Reid and ZZ.

Moo2 Sodje Fortune Youga
    Sam Semedo ZZ/Reid Thomas
    Varney McLeod
  • Options
    At the begining of the season I thought Big Chris was bought to hold up play for Varney or to be thrown on with minutes left to get us a late goal. I didn't think we'd resort to playing him up on his own, especially after Pards kept saying we'd be playing some nice football this season., perhaps he meant nice if you enjoy watching Bolton or the old Crazy Gang!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    We have full backs who either because of age or inexperience or orders do not get forward enough. We have defenders who could get carry the ball out of defence to turn things around quickly.

Old Magic / Tragic did this on Tuesday, lost the ball and lay dead on the pitch whilst the ball was heading into the area for penalty.

True but he ain't no full back.
  • Options
    Big Chris plays generally on his own up front not because we don't have striker options - but because 4-5-1 was the only way Pards could configure the midfield without getting overrun and conceding goals every time opponenents attacked.

I see it mostly as a midfield problem rather than just up front.
  • Options
    But 451 doesnt automatically mean we HAVE to play the long ball mate. Look at Chelsea....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]At the begining of the season I thought Big Chris was bought to hold up play for Varney or to be thrown on with minutes left to get us a late goal. I didn't think we'd resort to playing him up on his own, especially after Pards kept saying we'd be playing some nice football this season., perhaps he meant nice if you enjoy watching Bolton or the old Crazy Gang!

I wouldn't mind if the long ball was a means to an end but we aren't even good at it!!
  • Options
    If we must play with a long ball, we'd be better chipping it over the defence wide for our wingers to run on to.
    More space, less defenders, cut inside - and through on goal.

See, easy! ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Big Chris plays generally on his own up front not because we don't have striker options - but because 4-5-1 was the only way Pards could configure the midfield without getting overrun and conceding goals every time opponenents attacked.

I see it mostly as a midfield problem rather than just up front.

In fairness I think the 4-5-1 also had a lot to do with Pardew not wanting to drop 1 of Reid and ZZ, but also knowing that he couldn't drop Semedo or we would be lightweight in the middle. For me, Reid on the left made the team unbalanced.

I thought that Semedo was excellent in the holding role and could do just as good a job in a midfield 4 with either ZZ or Reid next to him.
  • Options
    I was really impressed by McLeod on telly against West Brom, great movement - I would like to see him given a run of five or six games before making we make a judgement.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]If I remember correctly he signed him 'cause he had just failed with a late bid for Eastwood andcfelt he needed to do something.

Normally I'm fairly good at biting my tongue when I read this sort of tosh but I'm afraid this just takes the biscuit. How do you know that we signed McLeod because we missed out on Eastwood rather than because we wanted to sign McLeod? How do you even know we were in for Eastwood? Why do you think that Pardew will "make the same mistake again" and we will miss out on bargains?! It's not the Harrod's sale for f*ck's sake, where the best china gets sold to the person who's been queuing all night at the door. Why do we have to pick up "scraps"? Do you think that Pardew, for all his faults, is so stupid that he will just buy "scraps" for the sake of buying "scraps"? Or do you not have a good reason for saying all this other than being blindly negative so you can say "told you so" if it does go wrong?

QPR, Leicester and Derby have all signed people, we haven't, therefore we're in the shit, is that the way the argument goes? Might it be something to do with the fact that the players they want/need have already become available? It's not a competition to see who can sign the most the earliest!

I've read so much on here the last few days about our current "crisis" and it's clear to me that some people revel in us losing a few games. All I can say if the majority of our support thinks the way you do then we will get what we deserve. Still, at least you could then say "I told you so" couldn't you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pards was always very much a 4-4-2 advocate so I feel he'll play that way again in the Cup on Saturday.

I would say McLeod's almost certain to start against West Brom alongside Varney.
    He scored against them a few weeks ago so maybe he'll think of them as his 'lucky' team.

You can see he's a confidence player so it's all in McLeod's head whether he plays well.
    If he gets an early goal, that'll settle his nerves and hopefully the boo boys will leave him alone.
  • Options
    I think 442 with McLeod and Varney up top, Youga and Moo2 bombing up and down the wings will be different and exciting. I predict we will win and Iwelumo gets rested for a few weeks. I also hope Dicko gets a run for at least half an hour.
    I would like Wagstaff/Christensen to get on just so we can see a glimpse of the future. Racon deserves a game as does Josh Wright.
    I am not at all fussed about the FA Cup so we might as well blood some youth!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    QPR have just had a massive injection of cash, so are able to go in to the market and wave their wads around. Holloway has picked up a couple of his old boys, who would not have left Plymouth but for him and Derby have Premiership status for now, so can attract ahead of us.

I would imagine that Championship Clubs like us who want quality players and are not just looking for a pair of feet will be required to wait till the Premiership Clubs have had first dibs and we have to pick from the unwanted, the players too good for the Championship and not good enough for the Premiership. We are also in no hurry this week as we are not playing a proper match for over a week. I would hope for at least some discussions next week, but there is a good chance that we won't get anyone till the last week of January and loanees after that.

I fully expect the squad members to play on Saturday, Racon, Ambrose, Varney, McCleod and it is up to them to make an impression to force their way into the team for Blackpool.
  • Options
    I dont think we will get to see Dicko as this african nations warm up party is due this weekend before they need to pick the full squad
  • Options
    Difficult one for Dicko......get named on the bench and might not get a game/or chance to be match winning hero.

Or go to Ghana, do well and play in the African Nations Cup/World Cup Finals 2010.
  • Options
    on bbc the ghana coach has already selected and theres no Dicko in there.
  • Options
    We had a load of cash at the beginning of the season and we bought McCarthy, Mcleod and Varney (good player but never worth £2.5mil). there's nearly £5 million. . .

Pardew isn't far off doing a Dowie in terms of over-inflated fees.

As for Bougherra the previous year. . . . the scary thing about that is that he bought him while we were in the Premiership, presumably thinking he was a Premiership player. . . . Blue Sq Premiership?
  • Options
    Well, he spent £3.75 (plus add-ons when they happen, but they haven't yet) but I take your point.
    A fair amount of dosh has been spent.

Although, to be fair, these players are all pretty young still - so no doubt Pards believed he was buying potential.
    But they still need to do the job convincingly, which they've not really had the chances to do yet.

So the jury's still out.

But even if you think they are inflated fees - that's the market price; pay it or go without.
    Sure, there is an occasional bargain around but you have to filter a fair few players to find your diamond.

It's a numbers game: sometimes you strike lucky - and sometimes you don't.

The Bougherra signing falls into a very different category - and was a gamble to bolster our chances of Premier survival.
    At the time he was very much in form and very much sought after - Everton offered £4 mill but wanted him to play in midfield, which the player refused.

You can't deny his basic ability - if only he had the composure and concentration to go with it.
  • Options
    When we bought varney for £2.5 million I thought not bad for a young potential striker, but he is 25 (24 when we bought him), so he should be within his peak years and his future development limited, unless he does an Iwelumo who apparently is better now than in his earlier years.