Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere at The Valley

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
We all remember the terrific echo of VFR being sung round the ground while Judas was banging in the final nail of our Premiership coffin.

And we're all familiar with the long souless silences, punctuated by abuse by some individuals recently.
Maybe Henry would like to comment or even get a view from the club?

There's a thought provoking article about stadium atmosphere on the Beeb website. It's long but well worth a read:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7168641.stm

Arsenal supporters have formed RedAction:
"We have a fantastic supporters' group called RedAction, who are leading the drive to improve the atmosphere and it's getting better with every match.

"RedAction have a section of the ground reserved for them, they work closely with the club and that area is noticeably noisier and that gradually spreads to the rest of the stadium.

At Man City, they are doing it with a 'Singing section':
Over the last couple of seasons, things have dramatically improved, especially since City introduced the specific singing section where you can buy a season ticket there," he said.

And at Villa, they now have home supporters behind BOTH goals:
Behind the North Stand we used to have the away fans, 3-4,000 behind the goal and it was difficult, because you used to hear them more than the Villa fans.

"Now they have made the whole of the North Stand Villa-fans only and they have moved the away fans to a corner of the old Doug Ellis Stand.

"Having fans behind both goals now has improved the atmosphere at Villa Park a hell of a lot."

Could we form a Charlton RedAction and get a singing group behind both goals, with singing season tickets?
There must be something we can do?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite] old Doug Ellis Stand
    Harsh but true on Doug
  • Options
    home fans behind both goals and placing away fans in a nth quadrant would work for me sth stand has much better accoustics and has always sounded better. I think that is the way forward.

Apart from reintroducing a standing section which will never happen I acan not think of a better idea the campaingn should start here now
  • Options
    Unfortunately the access for away fans to the Jimmy Seed from the station will probably always mean that it is used for away supporters. Can't think of any other way they can be accommodated without much increased mingling!
  • Options
    I think having a singing section would be a great idea. They do a similar thing at Celtic. Its just a couple of blocks but it allows those fans who want to sing to come together and makes for a much more intimidating and loud matchday experience. I can never understand why when we go away our fans are brilliant, some of the best in football I think, but the valley is always dead quiet. Maybe if we moved into one section, it would be more effective.
  • Options
    i've always said we should bung the away fans across the East and reclaim the South stand

if anyone went to Wolves this season, they will know full well the stifling effect of being dispersed all the way along the touchline in a deep stand with a high roof
  • Options
    Thats the first problem, segregation. The end of the East Stand would be best toward the Jimmy Seed. However, and I know it doesn't really apply this season, the loss on attendance is not insignificant as well as the stewarding costs.

The Jimmy Seed has wonderful acoustics but the Covered End is not as bad acoustically as some make out. You see to get the best out of acoustics you need to have noise in the first place.

I think a scheme like this would be admirable but I can't see it gathering enough momentum and it kills me to say that.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Unfortunately the access for away fans to the Jimmy Seed from the station will probably always mean that it is used for away supporters. Can't think of any other way they can be accommodated without much increased mingling!

Here come the snags!

Mind you, away fans already mingle with home fans as they walk down the station end of Floyd Road.

Perhaps, when finances permit, the answer will come by eventually building the 'South West Quadrant' specifically for away fans ...... and we can lay claim to the rebuilt - with designer built in acoustics :o) - Jimmy Seed Stand ....?

But we still need to do something drastic about creating the right atmosphere before then.
  • Options
    but palace did this, and we all blasted them for bbeing nigels!! They started that weird flag clappy thing like an ultra section, good on them i say but wwe all blasted them, on here as well, so if we do, we need to be ready for nigels giving it!

ANyway we have a singing section, but its only good when we play a big game, or win well! Alll well and good having a scheme, but when we are losing we wont sing scheme or not i am sad to say! What we need is some new better songs, all we got red army red army and der der der der der which are rubbish! AT leasty with cafc cghant it can sound good, but we need some proper songs, this is where the probs lye imo!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Thats the first problem, segregation

only takes one of those big net things accross the far block and a line of stewards, plenty of other clubs cope fine
  • Options
    I know season tickets in the West cost more but the lower west would be ideal for away fans. Just as easy getting there from the station and it might wake all the sleepers that populate now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]but palace did this, and we all blasted them for bbeing nigels!! They started that weird flag clappy thing like an ultra section, good on them i say but wwe all blasted them, on here as well, so if we do, we need to be ready for nigels giving it!

ANyway we have a singing section, but its only good when we play a big game, or win well! Alll well and good having a scheme, but when we are losing we wont sing scheme or not i am sad to say! What we need is some new better songs, all we got red army red army and der der der der der which are rubbish! AT leasty with cafc cghant it can sound good, but we need some proper songs, this is where the probs lye imo!

Don't care about the Stripey nigels, MCS - not if we can get a rousing, intimidating Valley atmosphere to return.

When we play away, we invariably have a far noiser, 'behind the team' atmosphere, and lots of singing with many more songs than you hear at home matches.

The problem is at The Valley. We have to do better than long periods of silence and only singing when we score.
    It never used to be like this - remember 'Fortress Valley' days?

Anyway, I started this thread to show how other supporters/clubs are tackling the same problem.
    There must be some inspiration or a springboard for something innotive of our own.

We need to stop making The Valley a hostile place against our own team.
    Let's bring the energy & excitement back. And make a rousing intimidating atmosphere that's our 12th man - and get's right behind the team.

Like football used to be.
  • Options
    I know we're not that great noise wise but I cant think of too many away grounds over the years that I've been to where I can honestly say the home fans were impressively loud.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Thats the first problem, segregation

only takes one of those big net things accross the far block and a line of stewards, plenty of other clubs cope fine

imo it's not so much the seating segregation as a problem, more the facilities. they would need access to male, female and disabled toilets plus the food outlets. this would have to be a 'stewarded' segregation on the concourse. i don't know the layout behind the east but if it's anything like the rest of the ground the queues are long enough as it is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sir John Humphrey[/cite]I know we're not that great noise wise but I cant think of too many away grounds over the years that I've been to where I can honestly say the home fans were impressively loud.

palace this year were loud. but that noise was the sound of thousands of nigels crying.
  • Options
    just out of interest, what is the east stand capacity?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]just out of interest, what is the east stand capacity?

just over 6000 i think.
    which is my point, you would still have to allow 1 man and his dog from hull access to the facilities.
  • Options
    portaloos and kiosks i say...
  • Options
    I would be well in favor of something like this, its so depressing at the moment.

But didnt they try something like this when the North Upper opened? I seem to remember the J block being advertised as the 'singing section'?
  • Options
    I thought the covered end was meant to be designated a 'singing section' - hence the cheaper price? If that is the case, many of you covered enders should now pay the same as the eastenders ultras!
  • Options
    No chance it would work! We already have a supposed singin section in the North upper! The problem with them is they get filled with people who want to experience an atmosphere but don nothing to help create it! Singing section at Wembley is full of families always asking you to sit down etc!

Hate to admit it but we just won't get a regular good atmosphere at Charlton, ever! The fanbase is just not made up of the right people.

On the stand up sit down website (to campaign for safe standing) there is a regular Norwich contributor on the forum who described our away support on boxing day as "the worst at Carrow Road in 10 years". i was there the last time on St Georges Day and it was S**t then. to think it was worse this time! I don't know how some people reckon we create a good atmposphere away from home! We are probably one of the worst in the football leage!!! Palace away being a very nice exception!

Anyone who's been to the Emirates will know that red action has not worked! It's as always a library!

The Man Utd supporters spokesman got it right when he said, in response to Fergusons comments, that until we get rid of the "police state" currently inside all football grounds and let people enjoy themselves again we will never get the atmosphere's back! Adding cheaper tickets, match day ticket sales and standing areas would also help!

Most of the passionate fans at alot of clubs have been forced out by the above already and the game has lost them forever!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Atmosphere isn't too bubbly on here either!

I was E-block but couldn't move my group (of then) 10 up to the middle blocks of the upper as there wasn't room for all of us together.

Thought about moving, but got shot down in case we wound up with some of the less desirable characters next to us!

There are a few gaps opening up around me (I do wash) so if any Charlton Lifers want to open up a new singing section in the G Block....
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Okay, Organiser, thats a whole raft of reasons why you think nothing would work.
    But let's try and explore what can work?

We're not the only club that has atmosphere problems - hence my first post.
    But these clubs/supporters seem to be tackling it head on.

What can the Charlton club and us supporters 'hands on' do for ourselves?
    Initiatives wanted!
  • Options
    I have 3 close Arsenal supporting mates who are all season ticket holders at The Emirates in the red action bit (in the lower tier, opposite the away fans in a corner) and ive been to 3 Arsenal games myself this season when one of them cant go and Charlton arnt playing. Compared to last season (when red action was in place but was the first season so a few teething problems so im told) and what they had at Highbury, there is quite a marked improvement in the atmosphere. Theres a good 3000 or so all standing round the lower tier corner and they dont shut up for 90 mins, they all have their red and white scarves that they were given and when they score all the scarves go waving round their heads and it is quite a sight (think Newcastle fans). Except for me of course standing there with my hands in my pockets like a plank!

It is a bit of a different situation to Charlton though obviously as their fan base is huge and their players give them something to stand up and sing about. But from what the atmosphere was over the last decade or so up there they have made a marked improvement to it so they are proof that it could work.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's a good post, Frank - I also like the reference to the Red Scarves bit.

I know many wear replica shirts, but years ago, everyone had a red & white scarf down the Covered End - we use to tie them at one end to one of our wrists.
    Every time we scored there was a massive waving of scarves above our heads before we went jigging around singing
    "Knees up Muvver Brown". They'd be massive colour and noise.

The scarves would also be held above our heads when we sung "You'll Never Walk Alone", which we sung quite a bit in those days.

Red & white scarves are just one good idea, though - keep them coming......
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]ITheres a good 3000 or so all standing round the lower tier corner and they dont shut up for 90 mins, they all have their red and white scarves that they were given and when they score all the scarves go waving round their heads and it is quite a sight (think Newcastle fans). Except for me of course standing there with my hands in my pockets like a plank!

Loved that bit, Frank.....LOL!
  • Options
    if they were to move the away fans the only logical place would be the jimmy seed end of the west due to the police control box next to it. if we had the jimmy seed as the new covered end it would work a treat.
  • Options
    Oi, Henry!

Trying to make a difference ......we need your input, mate.

There will obviously be some logistical challenges and some things by their nature may have to be long term.
    But it's time to change the Valley atmosphere for the better.
  • Options
    Excellent post.

Could we promote the band more. Even to the extent of encouraging a bigger band with more brass with reduced/nil ticket costs.

I know it might seem a bit choreographed but could we not have some intros like they did in the World Cup rugby. Or maybe the words to Valley Floyd Road could come up on the Video screen at regular intervals.

The fat bastard drummer at leicester had his own stage.

Our PA is not that good either.

I am now in the North West Quadrant as my wife is disabled and was previously in the North East Family area. Whilst both have a few vocal individuals as a rule they are quite quiet. I do not wish to offend anybody but perhaps these areas could be amalgamated in future if ticket sales fall away. The North West quadrant seems to be used as a fill in area. It would be better if it was fully allocated to season ticket sales. If we have to have spare areas they should be nearer the away fans so as to concentrate the vocal support.

I would welcome a small terracing area.

I dont think we should be too hard on ourselves.I have been very disappointed with the atmosphere of home fans at Old Trafford, Anfield and Emirates.

Perhaps we can take a leaf out of Leeds book. Unity can come from adversity and we had that in bundles in the past. Post 1992 was a very emotive era to be back at the valley and then to see the club progress perhaps was a unique and uplifting era. No wonder we sang our hearts out. But pre 1984 the atmosphere at the Valley wasnt that great partly because of the lack of roofing on most of the ground.
  • Options
    The NE quadrant is the Family Stand - so you're gonna get a mix of ages and types.

The NW quadrant was reserved for matchday sales (ie few or no STs) when we were in the Prem because we had to hold back a certain proportion of tickets to sell on a match by match basis.

Interestingly, Pards has said today (Friday) that he wants to hear some more noise from the band. I think the idea of a few free STs for the band is a good one - it can't hurt and isn't exactly going to break the bank!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]

Could we promote the band more. Even to the extent of encouraging a bigger band with more brass with reduced/nil ticket costs.

Pards on the OS:
    With West Brom bringing a large away contingent - the Baggies had sold almost 2,000 tickets by Thursday night - the atmosphere inside The Valley will be important, as Pardew appreciates.

"The atmosphere in the stadium recently has been tense, and I can understand that,” he said.

"I like to hear that band to my left-hand side banging away from the start because it gives me a lift and I'm sure it gives the crowd a lift. It's that kind of support we need, from myself to the team and from the fans as well. It's a difficult place to play when it's tense."
  • Options
    Red Action !! no mater how they play i always get reminded why i hate the Goonershit. Red Action were a group who on the surface gave it loads that they were an anti nazi movement but were in FACT a front for a UltraLeft Extremly violent front for the IRA on the mainland.