Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zheng Zhi has 8 goals

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
ZZ scored again today.

If I've got my figures right, ZZ has scored 6 in the league and 1 League Cup & 1 FA Cup goal this season.

That's not a bad tally for a Charlton midfielder just over halfway through the season.

Why do some people on hear think he's crap......? ;o)

Comments

• Options
    For some reason people place part of the blame on him for our relegation :S. He tackles really hard and is our highest scoring midfielder. I think he is getting better and better.
  • Options
    I think Zheng Zhi would get into any midfield in our league and wasn't out of place in the Premier League. He isn't the problem in midfield at all.
  • Options
    HALLELUIAH!!!!

People are beginning to realise what a good player he is!
  • Options
    Most of us knew he was quality from the first game he played for us. Trust me we'd struggle without him.
  • Options
    Ambrose has the ability to do all ZZ does but he is too inconsistent.
  • Options
    On the Internet Beeb live commentary they forgot to turn the mike off at half time, LOL! - Morts was giving his opinion privately to the commentator about Ambrose - saying that with his pedigree & ability, Ambrose should be imposing himself and taking the game by the scruff of the neck.

Morts said how disappointed he was that Ambrose really only seemed to ever be on the periphery of the game without any real impact.
  • Options
    Ambrose is cack full stop. playing well above his ability
  • Options
    Disagree, Ken - Ambrose has great skill & ability - it's getting the bugger involved that's the problem...!!!
  • Options
    you cannot be a footballer with great skill and ability if they dont get involved Oggy! it is a contradiction so without the all important third i think he is cack!
  • Options
    ZZ is class. I have been saying this as well for some time. Where he will always find himself criticised is because as he always seeks out the ball, and the right pass; there are times when he makes mistakes. It was the same with Kishishev and some fans just didn't see this. ZZ's goal scoring prowess means the knockers are less vocal than they were with Kish because he invariably shuts them up.

He is a combatitive players but against the real physical teams he sometime comes unstuck. I really like him and he always scores important and intelligent goals.

As regards Ambrose, its a confidence thing in my opinion. Whereas ZZ can f*ck things up, get some stick from the fans but keep plugging away with full confidence that next time he'll score; Ambrose loses confidence easily after a miss or two. Today was a case in point. He looked lively at the start, had a few good attempts on goal saved, then he fluffs a pass, and the crowd start on him and his confidence drains away, he gets more peripheral to the game and is subbed before the end.

I think it is a paradox that we will only get the best from him if he is a fixture in the team but he will never be a fixture because his lack of confidence is always going to lead to him being subbed/dropped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The guy behind us has a lot to say about ZZ from about 20 minutes after kick-off - so we'll remind him of this stat at the next game. To me he is the new Kish except a lot more to offer.

Personally he is a great guy (lives next door) and popped round on Christmas day with a signed shirt (signed by the whole squad!) It'll go on ebay or auction for charity if we're promoted as I'm sure someone will want to pay a few quid.

Ambrose - makes it into our first 16 at this level but another Lisbie in the making eg promising youngster...
  • Options
    Class in the Premiership. The Championship was never going to be a problem for him. Much stronger physically than Ambrose and as others have said never goes missing. He could be the one that we are going to struggle to hold on to.
    I too don't know how anyone could doubt his ability. Off course he is going to have the occasional off day, he's not a robot!
    Would love us to get Song back from the Arse. He could be the final piece in the jigsaw providing Varney and Mcleod start finding the net on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Seriously, you must have been chuffed when he moved in! How's he coping with the language side of things. Heard that he couldn't speak a word of English when he first arrived. Could make a big difference to his performances and also confidence.
  • Options
    My wife and son were very chuffed and thought I under played it ... language side is much improved - I nearly said "bad day at the office?" after the Col U fiasco as we arrived at home at the same time but thought better of it - hope he can't understand the gip coming from the crowd...

He always has a smile and we're thinking of challenging him to penalties or one on one in the back garden! lol might pull him in as a ringer for the work 5 a side?!
  • Options
    I can't wait for the day that someone at the club figures out that Ambrose is quite simply not good enough . I'm fed up to the back teeth seeing him in the team .

ZZ is class , always looks interested and plays with a smile on his face , just the sort of player I love to see in a charlton shirt
  • Options
    I have always though ZZ is class, yet for the last couple of months he has not been at his best, too often he has given the ball away cheaply in dangerous positions (something Kish was slated for!) and not always got forward to support the isolated Iwelumo quick enough. Yet it was always likely he would come good again and if he maintains yesterday's standard until May he will probably end with at least 15 goals this season and the player of the year award.
  • Options
    ZZ has also been creating many of the assists for goals too.
  • Options
    ZZ has made a tremendous transition, coming to the UK, learning a new language, playing a level and style of football that he has never encountered before, I think that we have yet to see the best of him, despite what he has done so far.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I thought Ambrose started well yesterday, & he set up ZZ for his goal with a superb cushioned header. But he is not a winger & never will be. He gets lost out on the wing & doesn't seem to know how to get involved in the game. When he plays more centrally he is much more effective but he could do with being physically stronger as central midfield in the Championship is a real war zone. The problem is that it is becoming more & more difficult to find him a place in the team as time goes by.
  • Options
    Ambrose had a great game againt Ipswich, the problem is he doesn't produce this all the time.

ZZ is becoming a class act as he settles into the championship. One of the players we'd need to keep when we're back in the prem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's rarely effective on the wing - Ambrose has to play more central and he needs to play off people who are able feed his way of playing the game.
    He could definitely show a more physical presence, though.

As Len said, he's a confidence player: yesterday he started brightly, created the goal and then when he muffs a chance or a pass, the crowd are onto him and he visibly shrivels up.

With Reidy & Toddy out of the team, now really is his big chance to establish himself - but he probably needs to play alongside that type of player to bring the best out of his own game.
  • Options
    Maybe what he needs alongside him is a midfield hard man, something we do lack - where is daren Pitcher when you need him ;-)
  • Options
    if he had that many goals and we had a forward on 15 I'd be happier.. not convinced personally, but then some people are never happy right..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]On the Internet Beeb live commentary they forgot to turn the mike off at half time, LOL! - Morts was giving his opinion privately to the commentator about Ambrose - saying that with his pedigree & ability, Ambrose should be imposing himself and taking the game by the scruff of the neck.

Morts said how disappointed he was that Ambrose really only seemed to ever be on the periphery of the game without any real impact.
    Oggy, this is a very common occurance with the internet commentary. Obviously we don't hear it so much this season, but I used to love llistening to the away matches last year cos you always knew something would be said that wasn't for the general public's ears!
  • Options
    yesterday was zz's best game for us...he had a free rein and made the most of it, calling the shots and running the play...to be fair though, he could only do that because varney and mcleod were stretching the west brom back four...his first touch often lets him down and that's what most people see and get upset about...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]yesterday was zz's best game for us...he had a free rein and made the most of it, calling the shots and running the play...to be fair though, he could only do that because varney and mcleod were stretching the west brom back four...his first touch often lets him down and that's what most people see and get upset about...

Disagree totally about his first touch. On Saturday and in most other games his first touch was very good. What he does is pushes the ball a yard or so in front or to the side of him that give him the angle for a pass or to spin and shoot. He has the close control to take and control a ball when he has players on him and his passing is good as shown when he has runners in front of him. His goals total is good and he makes a number of good runs forward or into space.

ZZ is an attacking midfielder, so is Holland and there's the rub.
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited January 2008
    I find it amazing that people still question this guy. He's by far our best player along with reid has excellent touch, good range of passing scores goals. He seems to always find space and have time on the ball. The only reason people think he gives the ball away is because he is always looking for it and is on the ball so much. When he has a quiet game which admittedly he has had a couple lately, it becomes very apparent and people get on his back. I think he makes us a good team and when we miss him out and lump it forward we look very ordinary......ZZ love fest over ;-)
  • Options
    I may have been watching the game through the fog of a few too many pints of Guinness but I thought that ZZ drifted in and out a bit on Saturday... more importantly, has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Youga and Crab Man from My Name is Earl?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]the resemblance between Youga and Crab Man from My Name is Earl?!
    LMFAO!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]I may have been watching the game through the fog of a few too many pints of Guinness but I thought that ZZ drifted in and out a bit on Saturday... more importantly, has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Youga and Crab Man from My Name is Earl?!

I knew I had seen him before LOL