Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Goons

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
It is a pity pardew did not leave mcCloud and varney on when he brought the other two Goons on iwelumo and Dickson, it would have been so funny

Comments

• Options
    yeah bloody right , dickson is such a goon . He's been given his chance and done nothing , get rid now Pardew
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]It is a pity pardew did not leave mcCloud and varney on when he brought the other two Goons on iwelumo and Dickson, it would have been so funny

I despair with people on this board at times. So Iwelumo who all season has run his nuts off, scored nine goals largely ploughing up front on his own, while Dickson played for 20 minutes yesterday and didn't score and somehow they are both "goons"?!

There are times when clubs should be able to transfer fans as well as players. Some here seem to expect every Charlton player to be a fully fledged international and if so perhaps would be better off following one of the elite Prem teams with squads full of world class players and money to burn. I'm sure one of those teams at the top of the Prem could use another glory hunter...
  • Options
    no glory hunter here Mr Gateau and post was partly tongue in cheek but come on you have to admit that is the worse group of forwards at the club for 20 odd years! but fair play to them it was not them who brought themselves to the club and this level and i will still support fully for every minute they play... just have a laugh afterwards
  • Options
    Dickson hasnt even had a chance and you're having a go at him, seriously, get a grip.
  • Options
    Dickson is the new lisbie
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]no glory hunter here Mr Gateau and post was partly tongue in cheek but come on you have to admit that is the worse group of forwards at the club for 20 odd years! but fair play to them it was not them who brought themselves to the club and this level and i will still support fully for every minute they play... just have a laugh afterwards

KT you must have a very large pair of rose-tinted spectacles if you believe this is the worse group of forwards we have had for twenty years? Some of our forwards going back that far would love to have scored as many as Big Chris has this term so far. Todorov is class but injured and McLeod and Dickson untried. Varney has done alright but needs a real confidence boosting performance.

I realise most of your comments on this thread are tongue in cheek but some of the stuff I hear every game is just plain ridiculous. The bloke next to me virtually booed Iwelumo when he was warming up - that is pathetic in my opinion: as were those who were chanting for Dickson when both our strikers were working really hard against against a quality defence. Big Chris has had some ineffective games but having seen him score the winner against Bristol and our second against Hull, I cannot join in with the crap that seems to be hurled at him at the moment.
  • Options
    Unfortunately Bing some people simply revel in abusing our own players – look at the shit Kish used to take.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I was chanting for Dickson to come on, but it wasn't supposed to be a reflection on Varney and Mcleod who I thought had excellent games. Mcleod especially. He created chances for himself and his movement led to pretty much every opening we had. We it not for Super Deano he would have scored.

People getting on his backs are lost-its in my opinion. They've decided he's crap and won't consider anything different. How many times has he played 90 minutes this season? Worst group of strikers... pfft... I remember when JJ and Bartlett were our front two. Happy days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]no glory hunter here Mr Gateau and post was partly tongue in cheek but come on you have to admit that is the worse group of forwards at the club for 20 odd years!
    Yeps.

I distinctly remember watching Bradley Allen, David Whyte, Jason Lee and Carl Leaburn up front in the mid nineties and thinking "**** me, what a bunch of world beaters". McClown aside, they're not that bad - Dickson needs a run in the side, as does Varney. Big Chris gives us a decent option (just a shame that whenever he's on the pi8tch we feel we have to lump it up to him all the time)
  • Options
    McLeod was quality yesterday. How people can slag off players who havnt even had a chance yet is beyond me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The word 'scapegoat' comes to mind.

When he has been given a chance he's done well. Two penalties against Norwich. Changed the game against WBA. And had a great game yesterday. He gives us a great option, someone with pace and movement to get in behind, even chasing long balls which he did very well.

"McClown". It really makes me wonder if there really is any big difference between Tottenham and Charlton fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: KenTred[/cite]no glory hunter here Mr Gateau and post was partly tongue in cheek but come on you have to admit that is the worse group of forwards at the club for 20 odd years!
    Yeps.

I distinctly remember watching Bradley Allen, David Whyte, Jason Lee and Carl Leaburn up front in the mid nineties and thinking "**** me, what a bunch of world beaters". McClown aside, they're not that bad - Dickson needs a run in the side, as does Varney. Big Chris gives us a decent option (just a shame that whenever he's on the pi8tch we feel we have to lump it up to him all the time)
    So Dickson and Varney need a run in the side but McLeod doesn't, he's just shit? Why differentiate like that? None of them have had a proper chance yet.
  • Options
    I was at a loss to see what either Varney or McLeod had done to deserve having a substitutes name sung at them when they both looked really lively.

Imagine being in their shoes when that was going on. Would you think 'I'll work my bollocks off for these fans' or would you be inclined to think 'f*ck 'em'?

Did anyone crucify Dickson for missing that header which could of won us the game??? Nope, McLeod however gets chastised when he misses a chance he worked and fashioned himself.
  • Options
    People that call him McClown should be lined up against a wall & shot!! The boy will come good; just needs time to adjust to the game at this level.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Czech_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Yeps.

I distinctly remember watching Bradley Allen, David Whyte, Jason Lee and Carl Leaburn up front in the mid nineties and thinking "**** me, what a bunch of world beaters". McClown aside, they're not that bad - Dickson needs a run in the side, as does Varney. Big Chris gives us a decent option (just a shame that whenever he's on the pitch we feel we have to lump it up to him all the time)
    So Dickson and Varney need a run in the side but McLeod doesn't, he's just shit? Why differentiate like that? None of them have had a proper chance yet.
    If McClown ever comes good I will eat my hat. All he has (ALL he has) is pace. He has the first touch of Fred West, couldn't finish a nice steak dinner and is never going to cut it at this level. Division 4 is his niche - he should have stayed there. He is proper turd - and there aren't many Charlton players I've said that about over the years, even though there have been a few that deserved it.

Dickson needs a run because he is a finisher - a natural finisher - and that's what those type of strikers need - three or four games in the side on the trot to get used to the way the side plays. McClown is not a natural finisher, so it wouldn't matter if he had a run in the side or not. Varney needs a run in the side because its obvious he can contribute more to the team than just goals. Anyone who's watched his movement off the ball can tell that. Watching McClown is like watching re-runs of Forrest Gump.
  • Options
    I don't think McLeod is upto it and blind faith never washes in my book either, however I think it's the manager who should get the stick for paying £1Million+ for him.

Also making a sarky comment about the sending our players to Scunthorpe for coaching looked a bit smug as well?
  • Options
    I didn't see it as a sarky comment, more an acknowledgment of the extent to which Youga improved while he was there. How did Pardew look smug?

re: McLeod – I don't think anyone's advocating blind faith, only that he has a fair chance.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's how it looked to me on the OS.

I agree with fair chances etc but everytime I've seen him play he doesn't look upto it. He has the athletic ability without a doubt, but just not the finishing ability.

He goes down far too easily as well.

The *Manager* is the one who hasn't given him 'a fair chance' and also it's the *Manager* who paid, as I said before, £1Million+ for him.

What does that tell you?
  • Options
    That £1million is peanuts these days and won't get you a lot.
  • Options
    I really can't believe Mcleod's still getting stick after the way he played yesterday. I don't think "blind faith" is occuring, it's blind hate. I can't even be bothered to argue anymore. Doesn't seem anybody is watching him play with an open mind, they've just decided he's the striking scapegoat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If someone who gets 20+ goals in a season is not a 'natrual finisher' I don't know what is
  • Options
    20 goals in which Division? And from what you have seen to date says he is a natural finisher?

If he does get a genuine run of games and bangs in 10 goals I'd be the first one to shake his hand and I also agree with Chunes early comment about him being made a scapegoat. But there is a difference between support and blind faith. AND If our MANAGER (nb:MANAGER, not gobby keyboard warriors!) hasn't given him a run that answers all our questions eh!

AND after today let's just hope we don't get Stoke in the play-offs as they will run and shove us off the park!
  • Options
    Can't people decide whether this thread is for slagging the players off or the *manager*?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]let's just hope we don't get Stoke in the play-offs as they will run and shove us off the park!

at last some sense!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]People that call him McClown should be lined up against a wall & shot!! The boy will come good; just needs time to adjust to the game at this level.

Well i hope McClown's firing the gun!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    but honestly though, what has he done wrong? can someone just put it into a concise sentence or two that isn't abusive or absurd without justification?

how many open goals or guilt-edged chances has he actually missed? how many points has his inability cost us?

i'm not his biggest fan but if he's in a red shirt and he's done nothing wrong apart from suffer undeserved abuse, a lack of confidence and perhaps a bit of strain from the pressure of his own transfer fee (which he obviously decided himself he's a one million pound player) then i'm standing by him.

he ran his fucking socks off yesterday, he might have needed a left foot and a cooler head with his finish but get a grip. the boy is trying his heart out and is obviously worried himself considering the goals he has smashed in in recent seasons.
  • Options
    I Think people are seeing a lot of kevin Lisbie in Mcleod.I havn't seen anything from him to change my mind.It's up to him to change things around.And if he's showing the kind of potential that some say he has I'm sure he will.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Can't people decide whether this thread is for slagging the players off or the *manager*?

Or gobby keyboard warriors
  • Options
    I thought Milligan had a blinder but Secombe is a bit slow for this league. Sellars is a liability and Bentine drives me potty.....