Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well that was better

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
More movement and purpose against a good side, albeit they and we rested players.

The side looked better with two runners up front. McLeod got into good positions and gave them problems but should really have done better with the chances. ZZ was class again and took his goal well.

We created more chances and played some pleasing football though WBA let you do that. We edged it but not sure if they were in top gear. Against lesser sides that would be enough to win games.

Was impressed with Youga. Kept it simple, played the way he was facing and had some bite and energy. Moo2 looked good going forward but got done for their goal. A good cross between the keeper and the CH which neither dealt with. Still like him in the side.

Not much to say about Dickson other than he should have finished the chance he had.

Liked Basey in midfield. I wonder if he can move in the holding midfield role as Keith Jones did.

Ref did well also. Not too fussy or card happy and didn't want to be the star of the game. Needs to learn how to fix a corner flag.

Could still do with some more bodies down the spine of the team but happier than I have been for a while.

A new era is dawning.

Comments

• Options
    I think youga will become a regular after that performance he was my MOTM. Everyone around me was slagging off mcleod, but i think he did well...
  • Options
    What was the Valley atmosphere like, Henry...?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What was the Valley atmosphere like, Henry...?

Not too bad considering the size of the crowd but not really a cauldron of noise either. North Upper was very spasely populated.

Bit of singing from both sets of fans but didn't hear much negativity from the Charlton fans. A repeated chant of "we want Chris Dickson" and a good VFR at the end.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: chirpy red jnr[/cite]I think youga will become a regular after that performance he was my MOTM. Everyone around me was slagging off mcleod, but i think he did well...

He did everything well other than take his goals which is a problem for a forward but he gave them problems with his running and found space well.
  • Options
    McLeod just needs to play games. He's done it before and it'll come back to him as soon as he's not afraid to miss.
  • Options
    Varney and McLeod certainly stretched WBA with their runs.

I can't believe that teams find it harder to defend against the aerial threat and strength of Iwelumo than against the pace and movement of McLeod and Varney. If McLeod was on a run of form, he could have had a hat-trick. But he still needs to transfer that potential of scoring goals into actually scoring goals. I think he needs a couple to squirm under the keeper, or to take a deflection. At least he got his shots on target today, which hasn't always been the case!

I'd start with the same two against Blackpool. They help to move the ball faster through the midfield, and encourage them to PLAY IT ON THE FLOOR!

Thought Youga had a good first game. Also good to see Basey back. Put in a couple of great crosses, and a nice change to see two left footed players on the left hand side.

Moo2 looked good going forward and linked up with Sam well on occasions. Sam had one of those games where things didn't seem to come off, especially with the final ball, but kept trying and didn't hide away.

Overall positive performance, but whether WBA were totally committed I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Youga MOM hope he can keep it up. McCloud did ok but needs confidence.Varney`s body language wasnt good. Sam had two guys on him first half, he moved alittle inside second half and did some damage. I thought for a good 60 mins we were better team.Deano made far far more saves than Weaver. Ambrose dear o dear what does this guy give us ?
  • Options
    McLeod's pace is really scary for defenders. He just needs a bit more confidence when in the penalty area. He also jumps really well & wins more than his share of headers. He needs to play more games & get used to football at this level. In 12 months time I think we will have a very impressive young striker in our team
  • Options
    I'm afraid Ambrose is a bit of a liability. I never did rate him, despite the odd lucky goal. His kicking is woeful, the ball spins off his boot in all directions, well except the direction of the goal of course.
  • Options
    I thought Ambrose had a good game until he spooned that effort and the booing was well out of order. He was our best player first half and did well second half too.

Jelly was motm, but I was slightly disappointed with Moo2kill but with a run in the team he should deliver a lot more.
    Liked toe two up front, esp McLeod apart from that feeble attempt to get a penalty when he should've gone for goal (1st half).

A lot of pace in the side today and we had a good team (better team) on the back foot for most of the game - that's what I want to see at home please :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Bit of singing from both sets of fans but didn't hear much negativity from the Charlton fans. A repeated chant of "we want Chris Dickson" and a good VFR at the end.
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I thought Ambrose had a good game until he spooned that effort and the booing was well out of order. He was our best player first half and did well second half too.

Jelly was motm, but I was slightly disappointed with Moo2kill but with a run in the team he should deliver a lot more.
    Liked toe two up front, esp McLeod apart from that feeble attempt to get a penalty when he should've gone for goal (1st half).

A lot of pace in the side today and we had a good team (better team) on the back foot for most of the game - that's what I want to see at home please :-)

Had a totally different bunch from normal sitting around me and were they critical or what, picking particulalry on Ambrose and Bougherra, but quick to jump on any error we made. Like Sundays do not really understand the roads, Cup game supporters do't understand the game.

Yooouga was my MoTM, tough in the tackle, some good skill on the ball, Ambrose was at his best and whilst he made some mistakes, he is what you get with creative players, some good, some bad. ZZ showed well, but I thought was a bit in and out. Holland held things together. Upfront Varney and Izale did well, but need to add the finishing touch, but I have more confidence that Varney, Iwelumo and Izale each has a role to play this season, that said we should not stop any seacrh for a quality forward.
  • Options
    The more we see of Varney and McLeod the better in my book.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Thoroughly enjoyable performance today, could and should have won it. I thought West Brom played their part, Pards has said that West Brom and Charlton are the best two footballing sides in this league and that was proved today, no bad tackles niggly fouls time wasting etc,. Its a good omen for the future, but caution for the future we will be faced on Saturday by another of the leagues negative, defensive kicking teams and our footballing skills will need to be supplimented by steel in keeping the ball. I continue to be a Big Chris fan, not sure McCleod would be so mobile having lumps kicked out of him throughout the game
  • Options
    West Brom play the kickers of the and they still play the football on the deck, they dont change to 4-5-1 and lump it forward and they are top and score heaps against these teams, so if we are also a top footballing team then lets play that way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Ambrose dear o dear what does this guy give us ?

spot on, sparks of threatening to do something and just wave after wave of just being a shadow, a mirage, standing out wide not getting involved, often behind play, a winger in his own half while we have the ball in theirs? somebody please explain!

apart from that i was extremely encouraged. just shows what you can do when you spend 75% of the game trying to play the ball along the floor and the rest aerial instead of the other way around.

if lloyd sam looked up once in a while, he'd be some player

good on kelly youga
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Not much to say about Dickson other than he should have finished the chance he had.

That was funny he even tried to slap it over the line and could not manage that. Two big pluses for me today; Youga and McCleod. Youga's loan has certainly given him the confidence and although he should have maybe scored Izale looked more like the player we all thought he was. Also ZZ was back to his best, rather than the player that he has been the last couple of months.
  • Options
    I thought it was a good game and we played well for large parts of it. I agree with most of what has been said. Youga class, McLeod and Varney looked good together.

We played 4-4-2 but what was more important than anything for me was the pace and desire to get forward down the flanks of the two full backs. You need this a home when teams come to defend. If teams set up to be tight defensively and pack midfield. Playing 4-4-2 often causes a problem because you can appear to be outgunned in midfield. This leads to countering with 4-5-1 and lumping up, hoping to pick up scraps. If you've got full backs who support like we had yesterday, you have then got more bodies in forward positions and this makes you a much more potent outfit. Add to that pace in the forward line and teams tend to drop off, giving you more space. I also still think 4-5-1 works but much better with attacking full backs.

If I was Pards, I would now be working on pairings of Thomas and Youga, and Sam and Moo2. They are going to offer a potent threat at home if he can get them playing with more understanding.