Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kelly Youga debut

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
On the OS, Pards was pleased:

"I turned to all my staff on the bench and said we'd have to send all our players to Scunthorpe because the coaching is obviously better there,” joked Alan when asked about Youga at the post-match press conference.

"He's come back and done terrifically well, it's almost like getting a new player.

"Kelly went away an inexperienced young professional, and has come back well coached, stronger, confident, and I thought he showed that.

"When he came back and I saw him in training this week, I said to my staff that I felt he was going to do well.

Comments

• Options
    he may joke!
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    Seriously though, didn't he play well??!! He was my MOTM for a very impressive debut performance. He tackled strongly, cleared the ball well, got forward impressively & has a good turn of pace. And he can take long throw ins. With him & Basey we now have two excellent young left full backs. I doubt we will see Powell or Thatcher play ever again.
  • Options
    "Many a true word said in jest". Has anyone noted since deano has left he can actually kick a ball ?
  • Options
    Anybody else think that Scott Parker came back from his month in Norwich a far better player? Must be something in the water outside the M25.
  • Options
    I thiought both Basey and Youga looked great today, pity they are vying for the same position, good crssing by Basey and his free kick was only just over.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BrentfordAddick[/cite]Anybody else think that Scott Parker came back from his month in Norwich a far better player? Must be something in the water outside the M25.

He certainly did although not really down to Norwich. I live in Norwich and I know a few who are quite well connected with the club. The view from the Norwich end was that Charlton must have had an embarassment of riches to have let him go out on loan. They reckoned that he was the best young player they had seen in many a year.

As for Youga, well I'd heard first hand reports that he was a bit good and it was nice to see that those reports were right. He is what we have been missing, a good effective defensive full back who can bomb on. I also like Basey and I was impressed that Pards played them both together. I can see him doing that again.

If Youga has improved at Scunthorpe, I doubt is because of the coaching. Its probably the case that he's been given a chance to show what he can do. Maybe its the clubs fault for not sending him out before, or the players fault for not wanting it enough. What is ironic is that he maybe the best we've got (other than Gibbs) but we failed to spot it. How many points more would we have had with Youga in our time over the last few weeks?

I wonder whether Youga or Basey can play right back? I am afraid I wasn't impressed with Moo2 as a defender. He has real ability going forward but defensively, time and again he was found wanting. His failure to deal with Brunt led to the first goal.
  • Options
    I remember seeing Scotty play at 16 and thinking we had a future England international. The loan to Norwich was to give him some experience away from our first team and sharpen him up after a few injuries, nothing more.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    with Youga's greatest strength seemingly in tackling and basey's in using that great left foot to whip the ball in, i'd love to see them form a partnership at LB and LM in a 4-4-2

arguably with 2 out and out wingers like sam and thomas in a midfield four we are lightweight and exposed. with a natural (and more defensively aware) left footer in the midfield 4 i think think this can really stabilise us

don't get me started on ambrose playing as a winger

with sam or thomas on the right i honestly think this is a fantastic solution, at least until reid comes back
  • Options
    Youga said on his Icon site that he can play either full back positions.
    I read somewhere else, that he can play right across the back line.

He's been out on loan before at Bristol City (with Sankofa) and at Bradford City for the 2nd half of last season.
    That must be where Scunny spotted him & decided to see if he could step up with them to the Championship.

Pards said he was loaned out to Scunny to 'show his wares'. That sounds to me, that in his final year of contract, Youga wasn't rated at the Valley and loaning him out saved paying his wages before he was sold.

Pards said yesterday that Youga 'came back a different player' and showed up really well in training last week.
    And was well impressed with his performance yesterday.

In the Curbishley Premiership era, the youngsters rarely got a chance. Often that's the only thing stopping these young players - they just need to play football, building experience & confidence.

But because the stakes are high, some managers are afraid to take the risk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    very happy with kelly perfomance,maybe basey and youga can be fitted into the team
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]very happy with kelly perfomance,maybe basey and youga can be fitted into the team

I recall Powell and konchesky formed a good partnership on the left, whilst Konch was generally the midfielder, they did swap to good effect during a game. I was impressed with Bassey's abiltiy to cross and also his free kick, I wonder if he could be our answer to shooting from outside the box, something which seems to be missing with Hollands decline in power. Ambrose, ZZ and Reidy try to place the ball, Bassey would be an old fashioned blaster.

Ambrose at least had the decency to hide his face when he shot for a throw yesterday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]very happy with kelly perfomance,maybe basey and youga can be fitted into the team

I recall Powell and konchesky formed a good partnership on the left, whilst Konch was generally the midfielder, they did swap to good effect during a game. I was impressed with Bassey's abiltiy to cross and also his free kick, I wonder if he could be our answer to shooting from outside the box, something which seems to be missing with Hollands decline in power. Ambrose, ZZ and Reidy try to place the ball, Bassey would be an old fashioned blaster.

Ambrose at least had the decency to hide his face when he shot for a throw yesterday.

I certainly think its an option to play them both.

I am glad I'm not the manager because I thought yesterday gave Pards more selection headaches and who to play down the left is one of them.
  • Options
    I think Basey could do a job as the holding midfielder behind ZZ. Has height and strength to help the back four but seems able to pass and shoot. Also may not expose him to real pace.

And he's only 18?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I think Basey could do a job as the holding midfielder behind ZZ. Has height and strength to help the back four but seems able to pass and shoot. Also may not expose him to real pace.

And he's only 18?[/quote]

And he's better than Konchesky!
  • Options
    Very impressed with Youga, MOM.

Shame in a way that our two best debutants this season are both left backs. If Youga continues to do well, may be a headache in the summer when his contract runs out.
  • Options
    Basey used to play centre midfield when he was younger and he really excites me. big strong and has a fantastic left foot. looks to have an eye for a good pass too.
    I hope we have unearthed a great player
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

Have been majorly impressed, particularly as when i saw him at youth level he looked a little cumbersome. has really progressed well.

Nothing pleases me more than seeing a youngster come right the way through the system with us. I really hope we don't ruin him when he naturally suffers a dip in form.
  • Options
    I remember when Parker came back form Norwich and played his first home game, I turned to my dad and asked who the tough tackling midfielder was and what had Norwich done to him, he was a revelation when he came back

one greedy bar steward...................
  • Options
    The thought of having Moo2 at right back and Youga at left back leaves me feeling moist with excitement!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danny who?
  • Options
    Just to bring things back to earth.

Moots and Youga have had one game together, Basey is a left back before he is the next spotty.

Lets not get carried away guys eh?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Just to bring things back to earth.

Moots and Youga have had one game together, Basey is a left back before he is the next spotty.

Lets not get carried away guys eh?

No let's get carried away. : - )

We get carried away when we slate the team so let's get over confident after one not quite 100% competitive cup game
  • Options
    Sorry I was trying to resurrect a Curbism 'Let's keep the lows not too low and not get too high on the highs'

Or something like that twaddle
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Basey used to play centre midfield when he was younger and he really excites me. big strong and has a fantastic left foot. looks to have an eye for a good pass too.

I also read that he began life as a midfielder, looked pretty comfortable there on sat...reminded me of Gareth Barry