Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deano Today

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
I for one, stood and applauded him before the game and at the end. He is still one hell of a 'Keeper. For me he is the best I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt. I wish he still played for us. I understand why Curbs didn't put him straight back in the team, after he returned from injury, and he did make a few mistakes when he did get opportunities but you don't suddenly become bad overnight. Much as I like Weaver, Deano is still the better keeper. It saddens me to think that he's playing for one of our main rivals.

Comments

• Options
    Spot on. A great pro and a proper gent. I think he's a real example of how a player conduct themselves on and off the pitch, an honest, dignified player (qualities which seem to be getting rarer these days!). He might not be the absolute best goalkeeper in the world, but he worked hard at his game from being released as a young player, through dropping down to the the bottom tier of football and gradually up to the top - he has made the most of his talent, and the fact he's still going well at 37 says it all.

He always had his doubters at the valley (I visualise another goal kick being sliced toward the left touchline!), but he was a great servant to the club, a proper legend.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    My fav keepers at the Valley

Charlie Wright - 1st Keeper I saw there
    John Dunn - A bit like a pirate and played like one too
    Deano - Outstanding keeper and lots of rapport with us

Not forgetting Derek Belloti who had a name similar to Peter Bonetti, my all time hero and thats where the similarity ended.Derek Belloti
  • Options
    We've had some great keepers over the years. Jeff Wood and Nicky Johns were fantastic for most of their time with us.
    Graham Tutt had tremendous talent, but sadly we never got to see the best of him
    Anyone remember Tony Burns and his incredibly long throw?
    Deano would have to be second only to Sam, due to the number of appearances that he made in the top flight.
    I remember Derek Belloti, met him at the training ground in the days when you were allowed to go and watch the players train.
  • Options
    whilst I love Deano, we definately got rid of him at the right time....didn't think he had that great a game saturday to be honest, I think alot of stuff in the papers was to fill column inches and the fact he played for us almost certainly meant that unless he was on the losing side he was gonna win MOM
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]We've had some great keepers over the years. Jeff Wood and Nicky Johns were fantastic for most of their time with us.
    Graham Tutt had tremendous talent, but sadly we never got to see the best of him
    Anyone remember Tony Burns and his incredibly long throw?
    Deano would have to be second only to Sam, due to the number of appearances that he made in the top flight.
    I remember Derek Belloti, met him at the training ground in the days when you were allowed to go and watch the players train.

Tony Burns presented me with a local league medal I won when I was 18. Yes I remember the throw.

Sam will always be our most famous keeper and a legend. Sadly there are not so many around now who remember him in his pomp. I wasn't born until 1959 and never saw him play.

Bolder was a class keeper, so was Nicky Johns. Jeff Wood was underated. For me though, Deano was the best I have ever seen playing for us. There were several seasons when he was the best in the Premier League in my opinion. I reckon if he had been prepared to commit to England rather than Ireland, he would have been picked.