Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Transfer Targets

It would appear from comments made by Alan Pardew that Charlton are looking to strengthen the squad in three positions. My hope and guess is that we are looking t and strenthen the spine. For me the priority is a playmaker midfield to keep Reid on his toes and cover his poor injury record. A proven goalscorer to give Big Chris a breather and allow Varney and McLeod time to come good without all the pressure and a quality centre back to play alongside Sodje (is he gonna stay) What do others say ?

Comments

• Options
    I say yes I agree.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I say yes I agree.
    Ditto
  • Options
    We are crying out for a midfielder who can collect the ball off the back four and then run with it. At the moment with Holland in midfield he collects the ball from the back four and all he seems to do is pass the ball straight back to the defence, which leaves them no option than to punt a long ball forward lossing us posession.
  • Options
    I'm amazed that Holland keeps getting in the side, you assessment is spot on. I would sooner see Semedo back in the side. While Semedo also plays it sideways, he gives the back 4 protection whereas Holland doesn't.
  • Options
    I think Holland has been our best midfielder by a long way since he has been back. Always looking for and wanting the ball and never hiding.
  • Options
    Holland has also played a true Skipper's role
  • Options
    I thought his performance on Saturday was his best this season
  • Options
    holland has played well this season,though saturday was not one of hes best,still a great player for us.
  • Options
    I do wonder what the point of that little move he does is. Runs towards the defender who's got the ball asking for it, and then passes it first time straight back to them. Trying to get his opta pass % up?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]I think Holland has been our best midfielder by a long way since he has been back. Always looking for and wanting the ball and never hiding.

You must be watching something different to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you think he hasn't been looking for the ball then? Or he has been anonymous in games?
  • Options
    I think the picture with Holland is the same as Sir Chris.

Both have been fantastic players for the club and are great professionals. But I think even they would be surprised to be first choices in a premiership promotion chasing team when the demand is so much for full on athleticism for 95 minutes.

Holland has worked tirelessly in recent games but his best days are behind as he is rarely able to create an impression going forward.

They should be an inspiration to the younger members of the squad.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think that Holland has to play at the moment, due to the lack of experience in the rest of the team. In Saturday's line-up excluding Holland the average age of the team was just a fraction over 24, with the oldest of them being a 28 year old keeper. ZZ was the only other outfield player older than 25, so Holland has to be picked over Semedo for now in my opinion.
  • Options
    If we play two (small) quickies upfront, I'd have Semedo rather than Holland in defence for some added height. Perhaps, try Basey on the left, interchanging with Youga when he overlaps. A big quick centre-half in the Transfer Window (from Overseas?) and how about Christian Bolanos (playing in Denmark) as cover for Reidy or wide, the guy had bags of energy and wants the ball.
  • Options
    I wondered what had come of Bolanos.

Tricky with Holland, isn't it? He must be a manager's dream; never any trouble, always willing & available. Impossible then ever to dislike the guy for all his professionalism and genuine commitment. Reckon he's done what he's still capable of well recently, but that just can't be enough - when Kins reached that stage due to his knees, he was moved on. Once in a blue moon that little fetch and give back to defenders might just help draw players out and open up a gap, but only if said defender is capable of spotting it (& executing it). Keen, experienced, and enthusiastic, but often very ineffective, and unlikely to hurt any team at the other end. An odd game now & again and good to have about the place - & please no more bloody group hugs that stood us in such good stead v Colchester (suppose the start v WBA counters that!).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Do you think he hasn't been looking for the ball then? Or he has been anonymous in games?

Holland has been the same throughout his Charlton carreer, looks good when we are on top, goes missing when we are under the cosh. For every one decent game he has, there are 7-8 where he might as well have not been playing for all the impact he has had on a game.

People can go on about how much running he does, I'd rather have someone that ran less but actually had an impact on the game. For me, Andy Reid is a far better example of not hiding in a game.

It's just my opinion but considering how hyped he was at Ipswich, I think that Holland is one of the most disappointing players I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]I wondered what had come of Bolanos.
    He plays for Odense Boldklub in Denmark, 12 appearances and 2 goals
  • Options
    I'd rather a player picks it up from the defenders and either plays it back to them or sideways out wide, than just turn and punt the ball 50 yards in the air for the ball to come straight back at us.

Holland challenges for every ball that is free. As much as I like Semedo, he does more of a "mopping up" job. If you see a ball high in midfield, or coming out of either box, its Matt Holland who will be busting a gut to challenge for that ball. As far as I've seen, there's nobody else that does that job as effectively as Holland.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]I wondered what had come of Bolanos.
    He plays for Odense Boldklub in Denmark, 12 appearances and 2 goals

Is he playing for his country though, and are they the right category matches - as that was the problem with his getting a work permit in the UK.
  • Options
    "Holland has been the same throughout his Charlton carreer, looks good when we are on top, goes missing when we are under the cosh. For every one decent game he has, there are 7-8 where he might as well have not been playing for all the impact he has had on a game. "

Are you on a wind up? Surely if we had Player of the season now he would win it hands down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I doubt it Brunello. I hate to knock such a whole-hearted player, but he's only played a handful and although he always "does a job", sadly it's sometimes not much more than that. Can't fault his attitude though.
  • Options
    I cant agree. Dont have the stats but I am sure he wouldnt be too far away from having the most tackles, blocks and interceptions in the games he has played. He doesnt hide, in fact the opposite.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Do you think he hasn't been looking for the ball then? Or he has been anonymous in games?

Holland has been the same throughout his Charlton carreer, looks good when we are on top, goes missing when we are under the cosh.

Perhaps it's the Charlton team that look good when Matty's playing well?
    And when he is not so outstanding that's why the team may then struggle.

A lot of what Holland does is not noticed - the tracking, covering, mopping up, playing the short tidy pass then moving 15 yards to pick up the return. He's the one that knits the team together - and makes the team play like a team.

And he's leading with the commitment of a true Captain's role.