Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Defoe got "done" by Ramos

WSSWSS
edited January 2008 in Other Football and Sports
Defoe told The Sun: "The manager has said I can leave if I want, but I want to stay here and prove him wrong.

"He called me into his office and told me. I thought it was a joke. I thought he was going to say I would be starting against Arsenal in the Carling Cup."

The striker added: "He just said 'you can leave if you want to'."

Comments

• Options
    He wants to stay because he wants to be near Faces night club !!! Thats the truth.
  • Options
    Straight to the point no messing around
  • Options
    It must make a change for Defoe to be told where the door is rather than running for it for filthy lucre.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]It must make a change for Defoe to be told where the door is rather than running for it for filthy lucre.
    well he is really - he'll wait till his contract runs down and bag a ridiculous signing on fee as a result of the club taking him not having to pay a transfer fee
  • Options
    he's performed better when he's been on than d bent but spurs don't wanna lose face by off loading darren for £10m
  • Options
    I know he stitched us up, but would anyone else have him back if the opportunity arose?
  • Options
    As with Mills, grudgingly, then if he performed it would turn to happily
  • Options
    I think the whole Defoe thing is born out of jealousy to be honest but hey, i'd have him back like a shot. There are plenty of players who leave the club when they are 15/16 it just so happens Defoe done it and went on to be a very very good player.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]I know he stitched us up, but would anyone else have him back if the opportunity arose?

yes, but so would three quarters of the Premiership.

He doesn't have the alround game as others, and is not quite international level, but in my opinion he is the best natural goalscorer at club level in this country.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    But only when he can be bothered, I think for us he'd be another JFH/Jeffers, he has the ability to be a great player, but he doesn't have the application. His ego would consider Charlton too small and he's better off at a Prem League club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally despite hating him, i think he's a brilliant goalscorer and if he played for any club week in week out, you'd get 20-25 league goals from him. If he chose to go, i think you'd find half the Premiership after him.
  • Options
    As much as we all hate Defoe, it seems strange that Redknapp & West Ham who were the real villians of the whole saga didn't get half as much stick but were probably more to blame.

Defoe is quality, but he is clearly behind Berbatov & Keane so at least the Manager has been honest with him.
  • Options
    Perhaps Ramos just plain doesn't like him.

He wouldn't be the first.......
  • Options
    When are people going to work out that no manager bar redknapp whther at club or international level has made him first choice and there are hardly a queue of clubs waiting to sign him so if he is such a great natural talent do you not think there may be something else 'wrong'?
  • Options
    Maybe it has something to do with Defoe not being the 'all round player'?

Defoe is a goalscorer, pure & simple, and nothing else.

In the Tottenham tradition think Jimmy Greaves & Clive Allen, for example - players who contributed nothing to the team effort (but scored huge numbers of goals LOL!)

Because he doesn't graft, tackle or trackback he's deemed a luxury player - and probably the reason why he's used as a sub to come on and change the game only if needed.

At Charlton, it's apparent that Pards rates Chris Dickson in exactly the same way.
  • Options
    I'd have Defoe back like a shot, if he were available. He is an international class striker and he would do a brilliant job for us. All this Judas stuff always seemed to me to be overplayed. The people we should be unhappy about are West Ham who made an illegal approach. I don't blame him for switching. What is sad I believe for him, is what sort of a hero he would have become, had he stayed with us for a number of years. It would have co-incided with our return to the top flight. I think he would have achieved more in his career, had he stayed.

As for Ramos, well he's called his bluff, and it appears that Defoe wants to stay. That is top man-management in my opinion. Saying to him "put up or shut up", was what he needed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]As much as we all hate Defoe, it seems strange that Redknapp & West Ham who were the real villians of the whole saga

i went to watch my friends son play for charlton u14's against arsenal on sunday (we lost 4-3) and he told me west ham haven't played this arsenal side for 5 years cos arsenal tried to tap up a 9 year old and west ham got the hump!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I don't blame him for switching. What is sad I believe for him, is what sort of a hero he would have become, had he stayed with us for a number of years. It would have co-incided with our return to the top flight. I think he would have achieved more in his career, had he stayed.

I doubt it. He would just have been another Scott Parker, did well for us before he was sold on. That is assuming that he would have been played in the first team, given Curbishley's attitude to young players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]There are plenty of players who leave the club when they are 15/16 it just so happens Defoe done it and went on to be a very very good player.

Not sure there are that many that leave following an illegal approach from a club that should know better. Mind you its pretty hypocritical, that we have no problem discarding players at 15 / 16 if we don't think they are good enough, but have a problem when its the other way round.
  • Options
    [cite]
    I doubt it. He would just have been another Scott Parker, did well for us before he was sold on. That is assuming that he would have been played in the first team, given Curbishley's attitude to young players.

Just imagine ...... if Defoe had stayed at Charlton, he could have made more sub appearances than Kevin Lisbie.

And scored less goals......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Defoe sounds pathetic in the paper... like a dumped boyfriend trying to win back his love!

Defoe plays for Defoe no one else
  • Options
    Does this mean they're keeping Bent ?
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    As i stated above, i have a very high opinion of him as a finisher, but i fear he is going to go down the same wrong track (easy lads !) as Marcus Bent.

Understand him and his alleged celebrity missus have a fly on the wall documentary coming out soon.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]

Understand him and his alleged celebrity missus have a fly on the wall documentary coming out soon.....

who is defoe's current bird??
  • Options
    Daniella Lloyd... Marcus Bents ex misses. My misses gets ok magazine. Pards and his misses have been in the back pages a couple of months ago,
  • Options
    she get's about a bit