Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley deny Charlton bid for Gray

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Their manager in the Lanacashire Evening Telegraph:

"There is always going to be interest in your players because there are some good ones, but we don't want to be losing them,"

"Andy Gray is a valuable member of the side and we're not encouraging any bids or offers for him.

"What's going to happen at this stage of the season is that there will be speculation about players at other clubs or your own players.

"But I'm looking to build a team, not dismantle one.

"There will be times that players leave for whatever reason, but we are looking to keep our best players at our football club.

"Sometimes people come in with an unbelievable offer that you have to consider, but until such time as somebody makes a bid for one of your players, there isn't a story.

"There is no bid from Charlton."

Comments

• Options
    Or in other words "Charlton, you can have him if you want him but you won't get him on the cheap"
  • Options
    Ha ha BDL - I'd say you're about spot on there!
  • Options
    Personally I'd rather see a few loans from Premiership teams, see where we are at the end of season. I think we'll pay well over the odds for average players who may or may not be better than what we've already got. Haven't really given some of pre-season signings much of a chance yet have we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nug[/cite]Personally I'd rather see a few loans from Premiership teams, see where we are at the end of season. I think we'll pay well over the odds for average players who may or may not be better than what we've already got. Haven't really given some of pre-season signings much of a chance yet have we?

Spot on, we don't want to get promotion and then have a load of players with no chance of doing it at that level.
  • Options
    not for me won't do it in the PL as he showed at Sheff Utd.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]not for me won't do it in the PL as he showed at Sheff Utd.

You may be right but surely the priority is getting to the Prem first. We're not going to get many players of Prem quality willing to risk a drop to the CCC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]not for me won't do it in the PL as he showed at Sheff Utd.

You may be right but surely the priority is getting to the Prem first. We're not going to get many players of Prem quality willing to risk a drop to the CCC.

So loans are the way forward then. I hear there's a small striker at Spurs they're willing to offload!
  • Options
    So loans are the way forward then. I hear there's a small striker at Spurs they're willing to offload![/quote]

Yes, but the proven Premiership class players won't drop to the CCC so the only loans you can get are the youngsters like Brum got with Larsson and Bendtner (which were top deals).
  • Options
    I'm also not convinced he would be what we really need.

Mind you, i've thought that of virtually all the names i've heard mentioned so far....