Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIre Sale at Luton - Five players sold

At this rate will they be able to field a team? Part of me wants to know if we can buy Matthew Spring from them but I hope we can help them out as well, maybe with the loan of some players such as Arter and Wright. Not sure if that would be allowed if they are in administration.

From BBC

Five players leave troubled Luton

Edwards and Coyne are the two highest-profile Luton departures
Financially-stricken Luton Town, who are in administration, have sold two of their star players and let three others leave the club, reports BBC 3CR.
Midfielder David Edwards, 21, moves to Wolves for £675,000 and defender Chris Coyne, 29, to Colchester for £350,000.

Midfielder Ahmet Brkovic, 33, has made his loan move to Millwall permanent.

Lewis Emanuel and Ed Asafu-Adjaye have gone on loan to Lincoln and Salisbury respectively, while bids have been lodged for three other players.

Plymouth have made offers for strikers Calvin Andrew and Drew Talbot, both 21, while Hull have made a bid for goalkeeper Dean Brill, 22.

The Hatters were placed in administration in November, a move which also saw the club deducted 10 points.

Luton's administrators had refused Edwards and Coyne permission to stay on for Saturday's game against League One leaders Swansea and next Tuesday's FA Cup third round replay against Liverpool at Anfield.

The administrators recently extended the deadline for interested parties to submit offers to buy the club until 7 January - a deadline which has since passed - and administrator Brendan Guilfoyle revealed that "more than one bid" was submitted.

A consortium fronted by BBC TV presenter and lifelong Luton fan Nick Owen revealed their interest earlier in the week.

However, Guilfoyle had previously warned that players would need to be sold if funds were not made available instantly.

Edwards, a Wales international, had only joined the Hatters from Shrewsbury in July, becoming manager Kevin Blackwell's first signing, but had since been targeted by Nottingham Forest.

His move from Shrewsbury had not been without controversy - as a dispute between the clubs over the move was eventually settled, although there was a disparity in the figures quoted by the two clubs.

Brkovic has made his loan move to Millwall permanent
The £350,000 deal for Australian centre-back Coyne, who was Luton's longest-serving player, is a record transfer for Colchester.

Brkovic had been at Kenilworth Road since 2001, making nearly 200 league appearances and helping them win two promotions, in 2001/02 and 2004/05.

However, he had only appeared in one league match for Luton this season, and has scored three goals in nine appearances since joining Millwall on loan in October.

Former Bradford defender Emanuel, 24, has featured just twice for Luton this season, and had a loan spell at Brentford in the autumn.

Asafu-Adjaye, 21, is a first-year professional who has not yet appeared for the Hatters' first team, although he has been an unused substitute.

He has also spent time on loan at non-league side Walton & Hersham.

Comments

• Options
    I never go along with this helping them out stuff.

Of course its upsetting for the fans, but how else can we eradicate clubs being run irresponsibly, and if the allegations are correct in this case, illegally, unless there was some noticeable punishment ??

Hundreds of thousands of sunday teams if run efficiently breaks even, as do thousands on non-league clubs, league clubs and premiership clubs. The simple rule is you spend within your means and you are doing a dis-service to the supporters, club and community when you do otherwise.

Something Charlton are experiencing due to their mis-management of the past two-three seasons, and hope to god doesn't lead us down a similar route.
  • Options
    Five more players we've missed out on while Pardew and Murray sit around in his office playing Coutdown (for money - Al's really quite the wordsmith so the transfer kitty is dwindling by the day).
  • Options
    Totally agree AFKA Bartram, they got themselves into this mess, they need to get themselves out of it, clubs need to take responsibility for thier actions.
  • Options
    I still rate Brkovic and sure that he could have done better than going to Millwall.

As peviously mentiond - while Pards & Murray stall, other teams around us are picking up bargains. Not to worry though, I'm sure there will be a few scraps left lying around come Jan 31st - just like the last few years. Will we ever be one of the first at the trough and get players in early ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I still rate Brkovic and sure that he could have done better than going to Millwall.

As peviously mentiond - while Pards & Murray play Countdown, other teams around us are picking up bargains. Not to worry though, I'm sure there will be a few scraps left lying around come Jan 31st - just like the last few years. Will we ever be one of the first at the trough and get players in early ?

I know, it's ridiculous. Richard Murray unplugs his phone, Pardew turns his mobile off - they really take it very seriously. They'll be turning them back on again just about now (unless they have one of their wacky afternoons where they follow Countdown with Ready, Steady, Cook, betting big on who will win, Green Peppers or Red Tomatoes) and be gutted to hear they've missed out on signing half the Luton team. I blame McCleod - he got them into it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I still rate Brkovic and sure that he could have done better than going to Millwall.

You rate Ahmet Brkovic? Really?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    Will we ever be one of the first at the trough and get players in early ?
    To be fair, we got baby Bent in fairly early. I remember Murray having a jokey moan about having to pay his wages over the whole summer.
  • Options
    yes, Henry.

The little i know of him shows that he scores goals from midfield as well as creating them - was one of the best players on the park when we lost to them in september and miles better than Sinclair.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]yes, Henry.

The little i know of him shows that he scores goals from midfield as well as creating them - was one of the best players on the park when we lost to them in september and miles better than Sinclair.

OK, must be good to go to Millwall. Surprised no Championship sides snapped him up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    To be fair, we got baby Bent in fairly early. I remember Murray having a jokey moan about having to pay his wages over the whole summer.
    Exactly – which just goes to show why it's a good idea to get in early!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]yes, Henry.

yeah a one off game against a Relegated Premeir league team - he sure raised his game.

Millwall doing really well with him as well
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Czech_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    Exactly – which just goes to show why it's a good idea to get in early!
    What I was getting at (without actually managing to say it!) is that we've bought early, in the middle and late in both transfer windows - so no need to worry just yet. We all know that Charlton don't work in the same way as Spurs and say they're going to buy five thousand different players in any one window - just be patient, the first you'll hear about a deal will be when the O/S crashes.
  • Options
    should I have sympathy?

I do care a bit then I think of two words that make me think what goes around comes around , Elliott and Walsh
  • Options
    Currie and Edwards were there too real stars that look like they could make the step up. Missed out on Edwards but Currie still available
  • Options
    currie's a bit like slow motion , very skilful but i don't think good enough for this level, didn't he have a spell at ipswich in the last few years