Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

i wrote last week that varney and mcleod reminded me of

killer and flash the way they open up defences...i was right...and ambrose is the new powell...

Comments

• Options
    Looked good today against a team who came to play football, we will have to wait for the cloggers to turn up before we know.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]killer and flash the way they open up defences...i was right...and ambrose is the new powell...[/quote]

Is this a wind up!!
  • Options
    mcleod was hardly great again was he,varney and zz shone
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]mcleod was hardly great again was he

you not go to the match today then ?
  • Options
    i was there,thought he was hes usual ineffective self,varney was brillant and zz was as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i was there,thought he was hes usual ineffective self

somehow, i suspect you are going to hate the rest of the season because mcleod was definitely not ineffective and i would have thought the varney/mcleod partnership is here to stay...
  • Options
    McLeod reminded me of Martin Pringle today - he's got some height and plenty of pace, but is a bit erratic - will do something well one minute, mess up something simple the next - and got nervous in front of goal.

Hopefully it's a confidence thing, and if he puts one or two away, then he'll pick up some confidence and start putting them away more regualrly.
  • Options
    Still think this post is a wind up
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: North Lower Neil[/cite]McLeod reminded me of Martin Pringle today - he's got some height and plenty of pace, but is a bit erratic - will do something well one minute, mess up something simple the next - and got nervous in front of goal.
    Well maybe its worth giving McCleod some time, varney has taken a while to come good, at least he is moving in the right direction and with a few more minutes (or is it hours?) under his belt he could start firing.
  • Options
    if he dont score he will soon be out of the team,lets hope he scores like strikers do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mccleod gets into Darren Bent positions all he needs is to have confidence to finish. I still would keep him wherever the board pards can afford to keep him is another thing if they are going to bring in other players.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]..and ambrose is the new powell..

Please tell me that bit is a wind up!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]..and ambrose is the new powell..

Please tell me that bit is a wind up!!!!!!!!!!

colin powell, not chris powell...
  • Options
    Exactly.

You are comparing Ambrose to Colin Powell. I dont get it.

Ambrose sent in some great corners... 2 goals came from them and although I thought Ambrose was our weakest player today I was even more disappointed with JT when he came on. But thats splitting hairs because it was such a good team performance.

And I think Ambrose didnt help Youga as much as he could of. Left him covering 2 players on several occasions.

I cant see Ambrose cutting the Valley grass in 30 years time.
  • Options
    I can't understand peoples attitude to JT. I he think he's our most skilful player we've had in years. His first touch is sublime. Ok his finishing was iffy today. I'd play him over Sam.
    His only problem is his attitude I guess.
  • Options
    His finishing is always iffy.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I thought Ambrose had a cracking game today. He & Youga made an excellent partnership down the left side. We scored TWO goals from corners today, both drilled in superbly by Ambrose. He also got vital touches to set up Varney & ZZ for his first. How anybody can criticise him after that performance I will never understand. Well played Darren. Involved in all 4 goals!!
  • Options
    I still think he went missing during periods of the game and whilst he and Youga linked up well going forward I think he left Youga exposed at the back.

He clearly has talent and even if Reid or Thomas were fit I would still start with the same 11.

I still dont see the comparison with Colin Powell which is where this thread started.
  • Options
    Thing is with Ambrose he does seem to drift out of games but when you watch highlights he is key to most of the good things that we ever do.
  • Options
    I agree with that salad.

I also think hes gone missing since that Ipswich game. In the next game against the baggies away when you thought his confidence would be high and with no real pressure from home fans he was awful.

Lets hope it was just a patch of bad form. I am not anti ambrose and certainly dont boo but he can be a real frustration.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dickson did way more in the 15 minutes he was on than Mclown did in the rest of the game . I really like the way as soon as we go forward Dickson looks for some space and likes to show where he wants the ball . He's obviously full of confidence and itching to show what he can do which is why I'd like to see him start at west brom
  • Options
    After his wonderful Ipswich performance, you'll remember at West Brom Ambrose done his groin, limped around for 20 mins and was subbed.

Then Pards said Ambrose was injured for the next match at home to Hull....but surprise, Ambrose started after having pain killing injections but was clearly unfit throughout the match.

Ambrose missed the next match away to Norwich, returning against Leicester: Pards said he had to play him because with Toddy & Reidy out, we were lacking technical & creative players.

With Charlton's heavy suspension & injury list over the Xmas & New Year schedule, there was little recovery time for players to shake off niggling injuries - and they invariably play with pain killing injections.

You can't expect players to perform to the best of their ability when they are playing with injuries and clearly unfit.

Ambrose is probably only now shaking off that groin strain and hopefully we will see a fitter and more effective player in the next few matches. Yesterday he may have not been the 100% action man, but with playing a vital part in creating all 4 goals, you can't underestimate how effective he is in doing what he does do.

And no doubt, that's why Pards plays him.
  • Options
    If he was that unfit he shouldnt have played. I am sure others have played with similar circumstances and shone. Holland at Norwich was I believe ill before the game and played a blinder.

The man clearly has talent and I think Pardew may rate him ahead of Sam and Thomas. He has scored some valuable goals and put in some great perfomances. But for me hes been with us a fair time now and you never quite know what you are going to get from him. You may get 1 good game in 8. And I still say he seems to have periods in the game when he seems to amble about.

Now would be an extremely good time as you say for him to put in a consistent run of performances such that he keeps Reid and or Thomas on the bench.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Thing is with Ambrose he does seem to drift out of games but when you watch highlights he is key to most of the good things that we ever do.[/quote]

That is bang on. I am not a huge fan of Ambrose because he does seem to go AWOL and not influence games in the way he should but when you watch the highlights he is involved in a hell of a lot of good stuff in the final third, very strange!!!
  • Options
    Nah! Can't ever see Varney with a beard like that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]Dickson did way more in the 15 minutes he was on than Mclown did in the rest of the game . I really like the way as soon as we go forward Dickson looks for some space and likes to show where he wants the ball . He's obviously full of confidence and itching to show what he can do which is why I'd like to see him start at west brom

Dickson didn't do anything when he came on that suggests that he should start in front of Mcleod. I thought McLeod had a good game and to refer to him as a clown makes me wonder what game you were watching.
  • Options
    come on mcclown's fresh air shot in the first minute was as comical as his consistent diving/falling over in the penalty area, he clearly has pace but at the moment i'm not seeing much ability.....
    i don't think sam's been half the player he was b4 his suspension...
    ambrose is a bit of an enigma he didn't appear to do too much but was involved in all the goals!!
    varney continues to look look better the more he plays, i'm expecting good stuff from him...
    defensively both teams were poor on saturday i thought it could've ended 8-4 with some better finishing
  • Options
    Blackpool were unbeaten in there last 4 league games. Having drawn with Sheff Utd and beaten Colchester,Burnley and Coventry 2-0,3-0 and 4-0 respectively.

WBA in Cup and Watford on Saturday will be sterner tests of course but Blackpool were on a decent run.
  • Options
    Both Izale and Luke were immense, I over heard two Blackpool fans on the train after the match saying "Izale caused us problems all afternoon with his running" I totally agree, Varney was mustard, the pair work well. Dickson looks usefull as well. We have gone from having 1 striker to 4 in a matter of weeks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Blackpool were unbeaten in there last 4 league games. Having drawn with Sheff Utd and beaten Colchester,Burnley and Coventry 2-0,3-0 and 4-0 respectively.

WBA in Cup and Watford on Saturday will be sterner tests of course but Blackpool were on a decent run.

Many on here are dissing Blackpool as a poor side who are nothing but relegation fodder. But before Saturday, they'd only lost 1 in 7 matches and very much a form side.

Perhaps we are underestimating our own brilliant start to the match - right from the beginning McLeod & Varney ran with pace right at them and they found that difficult to deal with. At least, Blackpool came with the intention of playing their own passing game - it's just we played ours better.

More a case of we made Blackpool look poor?