Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it a coincidence that

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
not only have we seen a couple of decent attacking performances in the last week with plenty of chances created and plenty of shots on goal but we have played two up front. Whatever you may think of Varney or McLeod, or both for that matter, the fact of the matter is that you have to score close to 90 goals to get out of this division and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that you probably won't do that with one up front. It's also no coincidence that the two you choose to play up there have got pace to burn and that is what frightens defenders. Whether McLeod can do it or whether Dickson can do it, at home 4-4-2 is the way to go. Carry on like the last two performances and we have a great chance.

Comments

• Options
    Two pacy forwards + two pacy wingers supported by two pacy fullbacks. That's the simple formula that has worked so well during the last two games. Be interesting to see if Pards reverts to one up front playing away from home.
  • Options
    I make you right except Ambrose isn't slow but he isn't pacy either.
  • Options
    Hopefully Varney will get a run up front now, that goal showed us what he's all about and I'd fancy him to get near 20 this season.
  • Options
    a tad optimistic a think there H&G.......he has onlt got 4 so far this season - hopefully he'll get into double figures but I very much doubt he'll get any more than 12-15.

I must say that that was about the best we,ve seen this season and more like the performance I was expecting in this league. Dont expect to score 4 every game but the passing, movement and the end product (a shot at goal) were spot on.

ZZ MOTM with Varney a close 2nd. If only Sam & Thomas could be more like him by cutting inside their markers and letting fly from 15/20 yards.
  • Options
    Thought Varney was excellent, doubtless spurred on by his early goal that, as HandG says, probably demonstrated everything he's good at. Tireless thoughtful running into channels that made him v difficult to track, especially for slower defenders. He's handy too at keeping faltering attacks alive with little headers back into the mix - we've already scored from a couple of those. Though we all know how he needs a goal, McLeod too never hid and made himself available for some lovely balls through on the deck. Great to feel likely to score again.
  • Options
    Varney scored his 5th goal yesterday - and his confidence is growing. I feel he could maybe hit another 10 goals in the remaining 19 League matches.

Dickson had his first taste of Championship football today and by all accounts with his confidence, pace & good movement, didn't look out of place. Like McLeod, he just needs a run of games.

ZZ scoring 9 goals from midfield is a huge bonus.
    And with Big Chris already scoring 9, he's bound to get opportunity for more.

And Magic is becoming a threat from set pieces - in 5 league games he's scored twice as a result of set pieces and set up a goal for ZZ.

If we always look like scoring then we'll feel we always have a chance.
    That's 40 goals scored now. Let's go for that next 40.
  • Options
    I see Pards said that this is more like what he envisaged his Charlton team to be. Same here - confident and potent. Prepared to take on "lesser" sides in a shoot-out, rather that let them dictate the pattern and our tactics. We'll still have some slip-ups, but it's so much better to watch with the belief that a goal is likely from several sources. Chris shouldn't be overlooked as an option, but hopefully only with one other quick forward except in extreme conditions.

It was great finally to see a smaller outfit with reason to feel inferior, and for some of them to go away a little in awe of Charlton. Too many so far have possibly arrived like that, then felt far too comfortable after 10 minutes of us offering so little, and consequently grown in confidence to the point where they humiliate us. No disrespect to Blackpool who I thought played some excellent football and never got niggardly, but we have to use any aura we have left from our standing over the past ten years.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]I we have to use any aura we have left from our standing over the past ten years.

That's right. We need to make coming to The Valley a frightening experience for the away team.

It sounds like we put on a performance much like the West Ham team Pards assembled which is why I wanted, and will continue to want him, (even during a bad round) to be our manager.