Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

why is it we wait all season for pards to hit upon a line-up

that's looks the part, has loads of attempts at goal, wins well and yet there are still those that think we should replace those players they have taken a personal dislike to...its a team game folks and if you hit upon what looks like a winning formula you thank your lucky stars and you dont change it unless you have to...mcleod and varney upfront looks like the makings of the most exciting frontline we've had since killer and flash...dont knock it...as long as they are creating scoring chances i dont care if its not both of them thats putting them in and somebody else is instead...

Comments

• Options
    Better than Hunt and Mendonca then? Or Mendonca and Bright. Or Darren Bent and whoever else was playing with him?

I really rate Varney and have since I first saw him. Mcleod is not the clown some have called him but I still think he has more to do such as stay on his feet instead of "looking for pens" and take some of those chances. He runs at people and uses his strength and skill well. Now just needs to finish moves off with goals.
  • Options
    I hate repeating myself but in the last two games, we have played with full backs who can actually bomb on and support midfield and attack. That has given a completely different dynamic to the team and it allows him to re-shape the team. If you add to that pace in attack, this leads to a potent mix. With Sir Chris and also Danny Mills, our full backs did not venture much forward. Basey helped to change this a little and our results really improved with him in the team.

Because we didn't have full backs who bomb on, we needed more bodies in midfield hence 4-5-1. The plan was to retain the ball better and get Reid on the ball in dangerous areas where his quality of delivery would make things count. Often it mean't the punt up field to Big Chris to try and lay the ball off or hold it up and hope that he can get forward for a cross in the box. It worked OK especially away from home where we could take some control in midfield and counter atttack. At home it tended to lead to teams setting up to stop Reid and frustrate Big Chris. Earlier on in the season Pards could change it by bringing on Tody (& Varney) but he isn't available now. In recent games with Reidy injured, it has been even more frustrating because we did not have anybody with his trickery to make a difference.

Now with Moo2 back and Youga (or Basey) as high energy full backs, and with the pace and ability of Varney, coupled with McLeods speed, we look a different prospect. I don't blame Pards because I genuinely believe that the current shape of the team is what he favours, he has just not been able to play it effectively upto now for the above reasons. Indeed, when he tried it against QPR for example, we looked poor.

The great thing now is that we have some real tactical alternatives. We can start 4-4-2 and change it. We are not dependant on Reid and Big Chris to be our main threat.
  • Options
    I thought Blackpool had a big say in yesterdays result.They came to play football and not put 11 men behind the ball,thus allowing us to play.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Better than Hunt and Mendonca then? Or Mendonca and Bright. Or Darren Bent and whoever else was playing with him?

I really rate Varney and have since I first saw him. Mcleod is not the clown some have called him but I still think he has more to do such as stay on his feet instead of "looking for pens" and take some of those chances. He runs at people and uses his strength and skill well. Now just needs to finish moves off with goals.[/quote]

Still didn't score though Henry and you could see he has been muckin about in training with that gadget that gives you an electric shock when you shake his hand.Just look what he did to Youga's barnet.
  • Options
    and if he took those size 30 shoes off and that spinning bow tie. he wouldn't keep tripping over.
  • Options
    henry, i think these two look more like a double act rather than a front man and his wing man which previous pairings have tended to operate as...varney and mcleod are less batman and robin and more napoleon solo and ilya kuryakin...
  • Options
    fcukin hell what u been drinkin
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Giving your age away there, ltgtr..... the man from U.N.C.L.E.

;o)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]henry, i think these two look more like a double act rather than a front man and his wing man which previous pairings have tended to operate as...varney and mcleod are less batman and robin and more napoleon solo and ilya kuryakin...[/quote]

Surely Kuryakin was the lesser man in that team, Solo was the daddy even if he is now just a conman in London