Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match of the Day

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Nice to see so many supporters in the ground at Millwall tonight lol!

Comments

• Options
    I didn't see one!
  • Options
    4,600 there.
  • Options
    Did have to chuckle at the old blue seat showroom!

On the other hand I really am concerned about the FA Cup losing it's magic - seems to have taken a really big downturn in terms of interest again this year and I think that's a real shame as it's a great competition. Give the winners a Champions League place I say.
  • Options
    Nice shout, pass it....!

Can you imagine Charlton winning the FA Cup as a Championship side and then Real Madrid, Bayern Munich & Inter Milan in our group?

Wonder if we'd qualify for the knock out stages. LoL
  • Options
    That's the only way to save the FA Cup Champions League place. Can't see it happening, also doesn't help having so many coaches from other parts of the world, didn't grow up with it. B;imey it was the be all and end all when I was a kid, build up used to start at 9am on TV....brilliant.
  • Options
    The first thing they should do is scrap replays and have the game decided on the night.

I don't agree with giving the winners a champions league place, the champions league is devalued enough as it is. What they should do is give more prestige to the UEFA cup or bring back the cup winners cup.
  • Options
    You say the Champions League is devalued but at least the FA Cup winners or 'champions' of a competition and not 3rd runner ups!

I'm a relative newbie compared to a lot of you that post on here but even in my football going career of 20 odd years the competition has become seriously devalued, can you imagine such disinterest 20 years ago, teams putting out reserve sides etc? As a division two side it was your chance of a shot at glory, to pit your wits against the big boys and was one of the highlights of the season. I agree that the league is your bread and butter but it'd be a real shame to let the FA Cup dwindle until it's seen as about equally as important as the Carling Cup.
  • Options
    Sorry barndoor, decided on the night would de-value it even more. Bring back 3rd replays I say...
  • Options
    I can recall when the streets were totally quiet on FA Cup Final afternoon when it was about the only game shown live.

A lots changed since then not least the amount of televised football
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]You say the Champions League is devalued but at least the FA Cup winners or 'champions' of a competition and not 3rd runner ups!

I'm a relative newbie compared to a lot of you that post on here but even in my football going career of 20 odd years the competition has become seriously devalued, can you imagine such disinterest 20 years ago, teams putting out reserve sides etc? As a division two side it was your chance of a shot at glory, to pit your wits against the big boys and was one of the highlights of the season. I agree that the league is your bread and butter but it'd be a real shame to let the FA Cup dwindle until it's seen as about equally as important as the Carling Cup.

To win the FA cup you need to win 5 games to win the league you need to be the best team over 38 games, hardly right that both have the same reward.

A couple of years ago that would have put Millwall in the Champions league!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2008
    You don't have to win the league to qualify for the Champions League though so you don't have to be the best over 38 games, in fact fourth best would do....

Would you take away the UEFA spot for the the FA Cup winners as well? You have to be the 5th best over 38 games in the Premiership to qualify for that at the moment.

I'm playing devils advocate a bit, I don't know if this is the answer, I just don't want to see the FA Cup become insignificant, which is the way it's heading....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]You don't have to win the league to qualify for the Champions League though so you don't have to be the best over 38 games, in fact fourth best would do....

Would you take away the UEFA spot for the the FA Cup winners as well? You have to be the 5th best over 38 games in the Premiership to qualify for that at the moment.

I'm playing devils advocate a bit, I don't know if this is the answer, I just don't want to see the FA Cup become insignificant, which is the way it's heading....

I don't think that 3rd or 4th should get into the Champions league. It should be for the Champions, possibly 2nd as well.

Have 3rd, 4th, 5th and the Cup winners in the UEFA cup or bring back the Cup winners cup.

And I wouldn't have the teams that get knocked out of the champions league going straight into the UEFA cup either. I think that is bollox!

I agree with you. I don't want the FA cup to become a meaningless competition however i don't think putting them in the Champions league is the answer.
  • Options
    Sadly the only way it won't become insignificant is major and I mean major sponsorship to give the clubs a real financial incentive to treat it with respect.

I cannot see that occurring any time soon.