Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If we dont sign anyone ?

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
is it because they isnt the type of player available/
or in our price range
or we aint get any money
can we get in the first two without any signings at all?

I dont thing we are that far away from being in the top 2 , but would love us to sign a top notch mid field general. I feel we may sign a loan player very very near end ofthe window and that will be it. I think the board may be feeling we will need dosh to be up there next year and are holding the purse very tightly at the mo.

Comments

• Options
    We haven't got a £16.5m safety net this year so the board are bound to be cautious.
  • Options
    Probably a combination of the first 2.

I don't see that there is any point in buying for the sake of it and unless they are good enough to go straight into the first 11, then I'd rather we didn't sign anyone. We don't need more squad players.
  • Options
    I would have been hugely alarmed a few weeks ago if we had not signed anyone. The introduction of two pacy forwards & two pacy fullbacks seems to have energised the side & we look more like the side we did the early part of the season, a team to be reckoned with.

I would not mind if we signed that David Norris the midfielder from Plymouth someone who would add something to our squad, players Like Gray, Purse etc no thanks lets keep the money.
  • Options
    as Ketman suggests, our priorities appear to have changed a bit over the last few weeks.

I see it as a bit of a game of chess at present. Some clubs have players they want to out, some simply need the money. By and large, those are the players that have moved so far. The rest is all to play for, with at present, clubs asking over the top whenever they get an enquiry for a player. This window is going to go down to the last few days more than ever.

I personally would rather us not sign anyone, than pay over the odds for someone we're not fully convinced about. Our financial position is too fragile for punts, and it would be foolish to act otherwise.

Hopefully the board have learnt that over the last 18 months.
  • Options
    Some genius was in the londonpaper, you know the paper you get in london? He reckons Tonge would be a good sigining but may be too dear at £2m
  • Options
    I wouldn't sign anyone who wouldn't go straight in the starting line up. Funny how in November we desperately wanted a left back and a forward but now we have excellent players here in Youga & Dickson. We also wanted a cenre-back, could Cory Gibbs be our new signing here? I'd go for a left winger and replacements for anyone who goes. If Pards does get Andy Gray or similar, should we cash in on Iwelumo whose style might suit other sides better than our re-energised recent displays?
  • Options
    maybe with Dickson now very much in the reckoning he's not sure who he actually wants to buy
    we've got 4 fit strikers even if one is unlikely to do the business at this level

with Youga looking good and 4 fit centre backs if Sodje stays, he prob. feels he doesn't need another defender either

so it's maybe just a dominant centre-midfielder he would be looking at?
  • Options
    We had a dominant CM last season, why not knock on that door?
  • Options
    Before I get shouted at I was at The Hawthorns on Tuesday but does anyone on here really believe Dickson is or will be the answer?
  • Options
    Don't know, but he's certainly hit a chord with a great deal of supporters and he represents something to believe in. I'll take that, given the state of football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Before I get shouted at I was at The Hawthorns on Tuesday but does anyone on here really believe Dickson is or will be the answer?
    He won't be the answer to our defensive frailities at set pieces no.

Nor will he be the answer to the need of a possible all round dominant central midfielder.

He might be the answer to the lack of predatory instinct in front of goal though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Before I get shouted at I was at The Hawthorns on Tuesday but does anyone on here really believe Dickson is or will be the answer?

I have huge concerns that most of our fans think he is the messiah, when at the end of the day he's a player with no real experience of this level of football. I hope he gets a couple of early goals or it won't be long before he's labelled McClown Mark II
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]Before I get shouted at I was at The Hawthorns on Tuesday but does anyone on here really believe Dickson is or will be the answer?[/quote]

i was there and i feel in this league, he is the answer
  • Options
    Impossible to tell Brunello, until he's had a run of a few games at the very least.

He has no experience, yet scored something like 11 from 13 in just the league below in a struggling team. A terrific return, and a couple of the strikes i saw were international class, particularly the volley at Crewe i think. That's pure instinct.

I'm a great believer that you can coach everything in the modern game except for a goalscoring instinct. You can coach runs, technique, angles etc, yet in the heat of a game being in the right place at the right time, and putting that ball in the net is a very rare commodity.

He has to come on leaps and bounds still, but i think he has a chance of having what it takes. I think the somewhat romance of it all has raised more attention than it deserves, but there is a very small possibility that we might well of uncovered the next Ian Wright, and until its proved otherwise, i'm happy to keep dreaming.
  • Options
    So to rap it up we have a resounding yes, he is the answer, unless of course we play him at centre half
  • Options
    whatever we may think of him it's obvious that Gray is Pards major target. Why, who knows. However, for us to put a piece on the website confirming newspaper gossip, albeit after Burnley announced our bid rejection, shows we are serious about him. Apparently we're to 'double' his pay so expect him to slap in a transfer request too. After that I'll be happy with a creative midfielder and that will see us okay. If we can get a dominant centre half too then all the better.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Apparently we're to 'double' his pay so expect him to slap in a transfer request too.

so we rattle him like chelsea did parker.... but it's ok for us to do it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Apparently we're to 'double' his pay so expect him to slap in a transfer request too.

so we rattle him like chelsea did parker.... but it's ok for us to do it

Why not, where has the moral high ground ever got us??
  • Options
    exactly BDL dog eat dog out there and unfortunately being nice may win friends but it doesn't always win match's!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Apparently we're to 'double' his pay so expect him to slap in a transfer request too.[/quote]

so we rattle him like chelsea did parker.... but it's ok for us to do it[/quote]

It's the way of the world, if the roles were reversed Burnley would do it to us in a heartbeat and there is every chance that it will happen to us again with Reid or ZZ to a Prem side at some point.

Not nice but its dog eat dog out there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The messiah bit with Dickson worries me too. At least it means competition for places and that must be good. Of Varney,Iwelumo,McLeod and Dickson I would think Varney is the most likely starter at the moment.

I would prefer to reserve judgement until we see him play 90 minutes against decent opposition. And a few times at that.

But he seems to have taken many by surprise including I suspect Mr Pardew.
  • Options
    We need a Todorov replacement and we'll be trying hard but with teams like QPR and probably Ipswich, splashing the cash, it may just be that our targets prices have gone up somewhat and we may be priced out. I know were after Gray, the problem is so are Ipswich and possibly QPR. On the other hand Gray maybe a smokescreen for others we are after.
  • Options
    i have a feeling its marlon harwood. On loan with a clause to buy if we go up.
  • Options
    harewood or zamora would do me just fine, rather either on that kind of deal than spunking 2mil on Andy Gray
  • Options
    Not Sulkwood thank you very much. Zamora would be acceptable.
  • Options
    Maybe we should be looking at some of the untried talent in the West Ham reserves. There must be some very frustrated players who have no chance of a loan let alone a first team start under AC. Lets use one of Curbs' worst traits to our advantage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]whatever we may think of him it's obvious that Gray is Pards major target. Why, who knows. However, for us to put a piece on the website confirming newspaper gossip, albeit after Burnley announced our bid rejection, shows we are serious about him. Apparently we're to 'double' his pay so expect him to slap in a transfer request too. After that I'll be happy with a creative midfielder and that will see us okay. If we can get a dominant centre half too then all the better.

Wasn't it rumoured that Iwelumo's pay went from £3k to £11k by signing for us?