Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

James Walker - Heart Condition ??

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
from Vital Football :

James Walker's proposed move to Southend fell through due to an irregular rhythm of the heart.

The move seemed cut and dried, but then suddenly at the end of last week the plug was pulled and his £200,000 move to the Shrimpers cancelled and he returned to the Valley, with BBC Essex saying that medical tests revealed the problem, with it also believed that James Walker knew about the situation as he told them that tests had previously revealed a similar problem.

What his future in football (let alone at the Valley) holds only time will tell but he is believed to have been told to cease all football and training for the time being at least.

Comments

• Options
    What a shame that would be for him if he does have to give it up, but in the light of what happened to Phil O'Connor (and Mark Viven Foe a few years back) maybe it'll turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Apparently though, many, many people are walking around with an irregular heartbeat and it's not as devastating as it first sounds.
  • Options
    Doesn't Kanu suffer from some form of heart condition? It proves that you can still have a successful career, obviously depending of course on the level of the problem.
  • Options
    Poor bstd hopefully we will stick with him now we have always been quite good supporting players
  • Options
    Poor lad must be shattered at losing the chance to prove himself. As CFW observed it may just be for the better. As he's already aware of it, perhaps it's not necessarily something that will halt his career altogether. Don't doubt Mr. Murray will do the right thing for him either way. Good luck James.
  • Options
    If you remember back to the 70's, sa Hartford had a transfer move aborted after it was found he had a hole in his heart, it was corrected and he went on to play for a good few years at the top level, well as near as you can get to the top with Man City
  • Options
    Thought it was strange that it was mentioned that he had failed a medical as we never normally make that sort of comment, either with our own or potential transfers in.

Unless it was released from the other side????

Hope he is ok and certainly echo the thoughts of CFW.
  • Options
    It was on the BBC & our OS on Saturday - news seemed to have been originally released by Southend.
    The Southend chairman was passing on what their medical consultant advised - 3 months of no football ot training.

James Walker seemed to have mentioned to them that it was a long standing thing.
    If so, Charlton must certainly have been long aware - also his loan clubs, I should think.
  • Options
    I thought irregular heartbeats could be controlled with tablets. I reckon the move will be resurrected albeit on a reduced fee or staged payments or maybe to another Club. Also could be a possible insurance thing with Southend's insurers whereas another insurer may be more ameneable.
  • Options
    Not sure about the tablets, but I'm sure I've heard of pacemakers being fitted in this type of scenario. Isn't this why Tony Blair had one fitted?
  • Options
    Tony blair had an anurism didn't he? so his heart was jumpstarted to shock it back into beating in time rather than having an echo..... i think
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Tony blair had an anurism didn't he? so his heart was jumpstarted to shock it back into beating in time rather than having an echo..... i think

someone missed an opportunity there !!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I thought irregular heartbeats could be controlled with tablets. I reckon the move will be resurrected albeit on a reduced fee or staged payments or maybe to another Club. Also could be a possible insurance thing with Southend's insurers whereas another insurer may be more ameneable.

I think beta blockers are supposed to control the heartbeat.
  • Options
    Didn't Kanu have a dodgy heart valve? I seem to remember he had an operation to either replace or correct it, but before the operation he had to quit the game for a bit (a year or so?) because of the risk to his life.

As CFW says, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise, a fact highlighted by what happened to Phil O'Donnell.

Here's hoping James Walker will be OK and back playing football again soon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I thought irregular heartbeats could be controlled with tablets. I reckon the move will be resurrected albeit on a reduced fee or staged payments or maybe to another Club. Also could be a possible insurance thing with Southend's insurers whereas another insurer may be more ameneable.

I think beta blockers are supposed to control the heartbeat.

Beta blockers also slow the metabolism ...... so it would be Sleepy James Walker, while he was playing.
    Do you think that's what Ambrose is on?

;o)
  • Options
    shite and there ive been being nasty to the poor bstd he was just mangled on beta blockers or stoned lets start that one

Darren ambrose is shite because he is?
    playing with his phone all night
  • Options
    From OS - first with the news again.

Charlton striker James Walker finally joined Southend United when he completed a loan move on Friday.

The youngster failed a medical with the Shrimpers in the January transfer window after agreeing terms on a permanent £200,000 switch.

But both Charlton and Southend have been in negotiations since, and a loan deal until May 17th has now been finalised.

The 20-year-old is now set to feature for the injury-hit Essex side when they face Bournemouth in a League One clash at Roots Hall on Saturday.

Southend are currently ninth in League One - just four points off a place in the play-off positions.

Charlton's 2006/07 Young Player of the Year, Walker enjoyed a loan spell at Yeovil Town earlier this season, netting three times in 15 games for the Somerset club.

And he was due to play for the Glovers against Southend when he was pulled out of the squad as the Addicks were on the verge of agreeing a £200,000 permanent deal with United for the forward.

Unfortunately, the move fell though at the last minute, but following a series of tests on the player, a loan switch has been given the green light.

Walker has previously played on loan at Hartlepool United, Bristol Rovers, Leyton Orient and Notts County.

The England youth international was released under Alan Curbishley's regime in the summer of 2006 but came back on board at Charlton under Iain Dowie.

He made the first-team bench for Charlton's Carling Cup clash against Carlisle United on September 19th 2006, but was an unused substitute.

Walker has not made a senior start for the Addicks but has 48 first-team appearances under his belt away from The Valley.

In reserve terms, Walker netted twice for the second string this season, his double coming in the 8-4 win against Southampton.
  • Options
    "The good old OS, I never go anywhere else for the quickest transfer news"
    Said Pinoccio

;-)
  • Options
    Come on Bing,

If you are going to give them stick when they "slow" then you should give them credit when they are the first with the news : - )

Mind you they still have caught up with there being a quiz next Thursday at Bromley in the e-mail bulletin. Anyone got Matt Wright's phone number? : - )
  • Options
    Southend 2-1 Bournemouth
    Goals from debutant James Walker and Lee Barnard helped Southend beat League One rivals Bournemouth.

Barnard latched onto a Simon Francis long ball and proceeded to nip behind a static Cherries defence to neatly finish for the home side's first goal.

Bournemouth equalised through Jason Pearce, who jumped highest to head Warren Cummings' cross into goal.

But then Walker scored 14 minutes into his debut with a vicious 18-yard shot into the bottom left-hand corner.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Mind you they still have caught up with there being a quiz next Thursday at Bromley in the e-mail bulletin. Anyone got Matt Wright's phone number? : - )

Real fans will be on the way to blackpool ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    real fans went to scunny;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Southend 2-1 Bournemouth
    Goals from debutant James Walker and Lee Barnard helped Southend beat League One rivals Bournemouth.

But then Walker scored 14 minutes into his debut with a vicious 18-yard shot into the bottom left-hand corner.

Nice one, Henry.

I'm so pleased for James Walker.

After all he has been through, he finally makes his debut and scores!
    Good on you, son.

Now show Charlton that they need to keep you.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote]

After all he has been through, he finally makes his debut and scores!
    Good on you, son.

Now show Charlton that they need to keep you.[/quote]

agree totally about being pleased he's overcome what must have been a huge shock and now scored for Southend but given that he was on the brink of being sold when his condition was discoverd I doubt we'll see him stay. Then again stranger things have happened.