Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RE Things you dont get (R&B)

edited January 2008 in Not Sports Related
I always thought this was Rhythm and Blues and was the music of the bluesmen/women and then Motown. Am I right in assuming it is now something different? Is it now an extension of Rap music where the rappers sell the song on the hook which is nicked from a famous hit of yesteryear.
Someone under 30 please explain.
Thanks

Comments

• In the eyes of someone very not-under-thirty, you're spot on Bibble - just another nauseating marketing ploy to give some of the tripe that's foisted on gullible punters its own cred, by lazily nicking a term which already defined another genre. R&B, my bottom!
  • As 27 year old only to willing to help.

By the 1970s, the term rhythm and blues was being used as a blanket term to describe soul and funk. So you would have had Curtis, Parliament and even Maze as RN'B.

In the 2000s, the acronym R&B is almost always used instead of the full rhythm and blues, and mainstream use of the term usually refers to contemporary R&B, which is a modern version of soul and funk-influenced pop music that originated as disco faded from popularity.

Hope that helps?
  • Riscardo, thanks for info, however who decided to nick (old) R+B (which is jolly good). Cant the yoof of today get their own names for music?
  • Old R&B = Good
    New R&B = Toilet
    UK Garage = Worse Than Toilet
    Drum & Bass = Oh Dear where do I start
  • [cite]Posted By: bibble[/cite]Riscardo, thanks for info, however who decided to nick (old) R+B (which is jolly good). Cant the yoof of today get their own names for music?

I didnt brand RnB ... RnB ... it is what it is. Somehow these old people think RnB is only old blues and jazz, but the old Soul Train stuff was always RnB ... and it's always ben RnB to me. One definition by Writer/producer Robert Palmer defines "rhythm & blues as a catchall term referring to any music that was made by and for black Americans.

So there we have it ... its a Black American thing, what do I know
  • "So you would have had Curtis, Parliament and even Maze as RN'B"

Maze, there's a blast from the past. Saw them at Wembley in the early 80's and they were awesome!
  • I thought it stood for 'Rag & Bone' in that it's rubbish.