Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photos of Thamesmead in the 1970s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/thamesmead_1970_gallery.shtml?1

Comments

• Options
    Photos of Thamesmead in 2008:
    en23gunb.jpg
  • Options
    The three studs in picture 16 must have broken a few hearts in their time!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]The three studs in picture 16 must have broken a few hearts in their time!

They most likely did A level physics and liked Queen and Deep Purple.
  • Options
    The bloke that took the photos used to be my boss 25 years ago, (sunderland fan). Some how can't see him be able to take photos like that, these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]The bloke that took the photos used to be my boss 25 years ago, (sunderland fan). Some how can't see him be able to take photos like that, these days.

he was on the radio yesterday. One of his pupils rang in to say that they had gone to Charlton v Sunderland in the 70s and he (the teacher) had rescued the boy when he celebrated a Charlton goal when standing with the away fans.
  • Options
    No.5, the teachers' footie team...they look like a right load of b*stards!!!
  • Options
    Some of those shots make Thamesmead look almost nice....well sort of...

Never forgiven the planners for making us move from Abbey Road to make way for the the monstrosity...Like the simple little Abbey Wood signs on the station platform....brings back a lot of memories.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]No.5, the teachers' footie team...they look like a right load of b*stards!!!

Love the non-matching kit
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Some of those shots make Thamesmead look almost nice....well sort of...

Never forgiven the planners for making us move from Abbey Road to make way for the the monstrosity...Like the simple little Abbey Wood signs on the station platform....brings back a lot of memories.

Me too. Spent many hours waiting for trains on that platform. Anything to get out of Abbey Wood.
  • Options
    Back in 1964 Abbey Wood seemed like a really nice little village after spending my first few years on the Milne Estate.....all seemed a bit quaint back then with the guys in the signal box operating the the gates at the level crossing....they even used to have a futuristic looking double decker train on the Woolwich line...ok, Anorak off and back to reality....
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Some of those shots make Thamesmead look almost nice....well sort of...
    Know what you mean...maybe more about it being fresh and new. Looking at it again it's incredible to think that anyone in their right mind (planners and developers) could ever think that carbunkle of a concrete sprawl was anything other than ghastly.
    Like the simple little Abbey Wood signs on the station platform....brings back a lot of memories.
    Snap, funny what you notice that makes you all nostalgic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Photos of Thamesmead in 2008:
    [img][url]http://images.scotsman.com/2007/10/23/en23gunb.jpg[/url][/img][/quote]

So true
  • Options
    Very evocative. All the hair cuts, clothes and scenes are very familiar. I would have been 12/14 when they were taken.

My Dad and I used to sail on that lake around 77/8 in our Mirror mini-sail that he bought on a whim at the Boat Show, my Mum went mad!! We were hardly affluent in those days.

The teachers look like proper teachers who you wouldn't mess with, unlike todays! Obviously Bullet Baxter was well researched by Mr Redmond........
  • Options
    they bring back some memories. Thamesmead is the whole reason I support CAFC I guess. We moved to the area in the lates 60's as my dad got a job helping to build Thamesmead - a labourer working on shuttering initially, but as a paddy who doesnt drink they found him quite useful as a labour officer rounding up the workforce from the local pubs when needed. Would of been stuck in Slough if he hadnt, probably supporting Chelsea like most of the other people in that area, or possibly Brentford.

Spent a lot of time in and around Thamesmead then and it wasnt a bad place at first.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Back in 1964 Abbey Wood seemed like a really nice little village after spending my first few years on the Milne Estate.....all seemed a bit quaint back then with the guys in the signal box operating the the gates at the level crossing....they even used to have a futuristic looking double decker train on the Woolwich line...ok, Anorak off and back to reality....

Hey Tel, I remember the double decker train in the late 60's. I lived at Welling then, on the Bexleyheath line. and as little kids we were wildly excited to be able to sit upstairs right under the ceiling.
  • Options
    lol.....strange that it never really took off....would do the transport system wonders by todays standards.....my partner often says she cant understand why we dont have double decker trains like they do in Sydney and Melbourne.....they even double up as Underground trains.....the Aussies do like to dig an odd tunnel or two. Mate of mine's Mum used to clean the trains at Slade Green back end of the sixties, and we used to go and sod about on the double decker in the sheds. Ironically I moved to Welling in 71 due to bloody Thamesmead.
  • Options
    maybe the fact that all the tunnels etc would have to be demolished, rebuilt and/or new tracks sorted out and it would cause even more disruption than there already is!!

And give them another excuse to raise the blinking fares
  • Options
    Well thats true, but like I said the Aussies dont need any excuse to dig a tunnel.....lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Well thats true, but like I said the Aussies dont need any excuse to dig a tunnel.....lol

It's the convict genes. : - )

*Breaking rocks in the hot sun,
    they fought the law and the law won*
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Would of been stuck in Slough if he hadnt, probably supporting Chelsea like most of the other people in that area, or possibly Brentford.
    Put like that, living in Thamesmead seems a small price to pay!!
  • Options
    Sad thing is...they are proud of their convict heritage these days....lol. Good natured bunch though, whatever we say.