Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What can be said on Charlton Life?

When Gray signed last week one of their message boards was talking about the deal but the messages kept disappearing. Later on someone who had been at the training ground posted an injury update about a few of their players but admitted later on that he couldn't speak about the Gray situation until the club had confirmed it. This poster admitted that Steve Cotterill didn't like messageboards but Owen Coyle was more relaxed, only for this message to appear a little later.

'The club management are not happy at training ground information being posted on any messageboard, no matter who the manager is.

I would respectfully ask that fans refrain from posting any such information in future.

Darren Bentley
PR & Communications Manager
Burnley FC '

I was just wondering what powers any club has over messageboards as long as what they were saying isn't in the region of defammation of character, which is what happened up in Sunderland?

Comments

• Options
    I was just wondering what powers any club has over messageboards as long as what they were saying isn't in the region of defammation of character, which is what happened up in Sunderland?

I would say none, or hopefully they have no power to ask for anything to be pulled unless it is libellous, or downright unnecessary. Other than that I don't think they'd be happy to see stuff that goes on behind closed doors being leaked publically, but that is more down to the leaker, than the messenger.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I dont know but i cannot see clubs having any power over messageboards per se but they do, like any employer, have a say over what information staff can openly put onto a message board. It is quite feasible in Burnleys case that info was being put up by staff. I seem to recall a couple of years ago that Charlton had a problem with an insider from the training ground posting info but perhaps I'm dreaming.
  • Options
    No it's true, Richard Murray was livid when it was reported that the doors fell off of his clown car after he'd 'parp parped' on the horn!
  • Options
    he was great, charlton heights. I think he broke the kiely/todd story amongst just a few.

used to love reading his posts. always got the team sheets correct the night before a match etc.

Him and mick collins had a public disagreement on netaddicks and i think he disappeared.

i still claim it was mervyn day!
  • Options
    You can say what you want but...........

JUST MAKE BLOODY SURE YOU PUT IT IN THE RIGHT CATEGORY!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Personally I think clubs are missing a trick in not using these sorts of message boards more often and in a smarter way to get messages over and influence thinking as well as finding out what people are thinking. Where else could an industry just log on to find out what its "customers" are thinking?

On the other hand I don't believe that many of the bloggers/message board holders want the club to have any say or influence over what is said or done and quite rightly unless it goes into the realm of libel in which case there is already the law of the land.
  • Options
    That was it, Charlton Heights. Great to know I'm not dreaming anyway. It couldnt have been Merv with that monicker it would have to be someone from the area.
  • Options
    The_Spy was the only true insider on Netaddicks. FACT!
  • Options
    There was that guy that knew all about the price of gold and the housing price collapse. He was always spot on.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Personally I think clubs are missing a trick in not using these sorts of message boards more often and in a smarter way to get messages over and influence thinking as well as finding out what people are thinking. Where else could an industry just log on to find out what its "customers" are thinking?

Do you mean they dont use them then, Henry?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think "keeper" was Mervin Day. We had words on Netaddicks and i asked him if he was Big Merv dont think he ever posted again.

As for what clubs can do re message boards well there is all that sh*t with Shef Wednesday.

I got slagged off by telling an incident that happened in the dressing room. I knew it was true but at time couldnt say who told me. Can know though it was Darren Bents old man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]The_Spy was the only true insider on Netaddicks. FACT!

Yeah he was brilliant. According to him Curbs went to Spurs in 2002. LOCKED ON FACT.
  • Options
    It's an interesting question. Obviously, from our point of view, we want to be the place Charlton fans first come for news and insight amongst other things, but there is a fine line between sharing information and respecting the Club and its right to keep information private for the sake of its operational success in closing deals, dealing with players etc.

I suppose the Members Only Category goes some way to shielding any sensitive info from being left around for journalists and others to troll. I suppose that line has to be drawn in a case by case basis. I'm quite liberal when it comes to worrying about libel and defamation claims, as I think these would be very hard to press (in our case, being a website, based outside UK etc) and are mostly a case of powerful people looking to intimidate.

Luckily, we have a good relationship with those at the Club (the site and fans in general) and there is little chance of this kind of thing being an issue. But if it were, I would weigh up the issues on a case by case basis and deal accordingly.
  • Options
    I have heard from a very reliable source that our new shirt sponsers are in financial trouble.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]The_Spy was the only true insider on Netaddicks. FACT!

Yeah he was great, if you enjoyed listening to absolute drivel. I preferred that Lucy bird on there....
  • Options
    DA_8 was my fav.......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Personally I think clubs are missing a trick in not using these sorts of message boards more often and in a smarter way to get messages over and influence thinking as well as finding out what people are thinking. Where else could an industry just log on to find out what its "customers" are thinking?

Do you mean they dont use them then, Henry?

No, no directors or employees ever read this site. Never. Not even once.
  • Options
    not real ones anyway...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]not real ones anyway...
    Suzi's gonna have you for that one! ;o)
  • Options
    The comment was more about directors Suze - honestly!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The comment was more about directors Suze - honestly!

A real employee's things to do list

1. Search ST List

2. Find WSS's name

3. Delete
  • Options
    well, if I were passing the training ground today and saw two players having a right old set to or if I saw another player out with anothers wife then I'd definately repeat it on here and why not. On the other hand if someone I knew who was connected to the Club told me something in confidence then that defiantely isn't for general consumption.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]well, if I were passing the training ground today and saw two players having a right old set to or if I saw another player out with anothers wife then I'd definately repeat it on here and why not. On the other hand if someone I knew who was connected to the Club told me something in confidence then that defiantely isn't for general consumption.

So yyou saw a player out with anothers wife. Who was it?
  • Options
    you'd repeat that you saw another player out with anothers wife on a public message board?

which could lead to the wrecking of two marriages, breaking perhaps a couple of kids hearts etc etc? when only two of them had acted in the wrong? what a man!
  • Options
    I know of at least Three Club officials (Not Enry) who now regularly trawl through this Board, thing is I had to tip them the wink about this board about a year ago as they were all still reading Netaddicks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I know of at least Three Club officials (Not Enry) who now regularly trawl through this Board, thing is I had to tip them the wink about this board about a year ago as they were all still reading Netaddicks.

A certain Bulgarian told me that quite a few players look at the boards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I know of at least Three Club officials (Not Enry) who now regularly trawl through this Board, thing is I had to tip them the wink about this board about a year ago as they were all still reading Netaddicks.
    Like your dad Rick Everett?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]

Well Hopefully Izale ain't one of them or McCarthy :-)
  • Options
    West Side you are getting as bad as Friend or Defoe fella sort it out !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]

Is that why Jerome Thomas wants to leave?
    And Izzy's too scared in front of goal.

They know what we REALLY think...!!!