Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

David Murphy

I know that footballers are too often mercenary types nowadays but liked reading this story. Murphy gave his signing on fee which was around £200k to Hibs to invest in the youth set-up there. He said:

"I want that money to go back to Edinburgh so it can be invested in the future of Hibs.
"I feel it's a fitting way to thank the club for everything they have done for me over the last three and a half years. I just felt it would be nice to put something back in and it is my way of saying thank you to the supporters who were so kind to me throughout my time up there.
"By putting this money into the youth set-up hopefully they will get the benefit in the long run.
"The fans know that I am an English boy and for me the Premiership is the greatest league in the world.
"When I got the chance to join a club like Birmingham and work for a manager like Alex McLeish it was simply too good an opportunity for me to turn down.
"But I leave Hibs with no bad feelings and I hope that by putting something back in it will help them to have a lot of good years to come.
"I wanted to get back to England and I felt this was the right time to move.
"I'm just grateful that Hibs and Birmingham were able to reach an agreement on the size of my fee and grant me the opportunity I was after.
"I feel like I owe Hibs a great deal for helping me to fulfil my ambitions and that's why I have left them with a parting gift."

Nice.

Comments