Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Varney to be more selfish

edited January 2008 in General Charlton
Charlton striker Luke Varney insists he can score the goals needed to seal the Addicks' return to the Premier League.

Varney - a £2million summer signing from Crewe - is first to admit he took his time to settle in at SE7. But with five goals now under his belt he is ready to fire Charlton to promotion glory.

"My game has improved since I've been at the club," he said. "The gaffer wants me to get my shots away more and be a bit more selfish. When I first arrived I just wanted to fit in but now I feel I'm the man to score the goals to get us promoted.

"I feel more selfish now and that's what I felt last year too. When I was at Crewe, every time I got the ball I wanted to do something special.

"That's how I'm starting to feel in training here now. I'm gaining in confidence all the time."

Varney has formed an impressive partnership with Izale McLeod over the last few weeks, finally allowing Addicks fans to see the best of him.

"My partnership with Izale is similar to the one I had last year with Nicky Maynard at Crewe," Varney said.

"I tend to play really well with a quicker lad who has a similar style to me.

"I know what he is doing when I have the ball and vice versa. If he gets the ball to feet I know I have to get in behind the defence instead of latching onto flick-ons like with Chris Iwelumo.

"But I enjoy the partnership with Chris as well - it's great to have those sort of options up front."

The pacy frontman's start to life in the capital was blighted by an ankle injury,ruling him out of the first few weeks of the campaign, and Varney admits that until recently his displays have been below par.

"It has taken me a while to settle down at Charlton," he said.

"The injury I picked up at the start of the season was a bit upsetting because I wanted to show the fans what I could do. It took me a while to get over that and it knocked my confidence a little bit.

"I found it tough at first moving down south. Dario Gradi said it would be hard for me because he spent some time down here with Chelsea.

"He told me: 'You'll be surprised how difficult it is' but I thought I'd take it in my stride and I'd be okay.

"It was a bit of a shock at the start I must admit but I'm loving it now and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/0300charlton/0100news/tm_headline=varney-settled-at-valley&method=full&objectid=20390539&siteid=50100-name_page.html

Comments

• Options
    Found it tough moving down South ... on thousands a week .. ah shucks
  • Options
    bet he found it hard buying that Range Rover too......probably found it hard choosing exactly which dealer to go and buy it from...so many to choose from down here in the Sarf!

However.....good to see him getting his sh*t together on the pitch.
  • Options
    Money makes everything ok doesn't it!
  • Options
    It works the other way, too ......imagine you having to leave the leafy streets of SE7 - and move to Crewe?
    Not quite the North proper but they all talk funny and follow Man U.

Our very own Chris Dicko couldn't cope with the culture shock, and quickly returned South.

Now if you had to swap with Andy Gray and live in Burn-leh, now that would be a culture shock.
    If you like a Coronation Street you might have a fighting chance of interpretating the lingo, but you'd have to learn to like black pudding , tripe & onions and mushy peas.

There's nowt t'do but at least the beer seems like half price.

Housing is cheap because it's an industrial wasteland and nobody in their right mind wants to live there.
    And it rains all day, every fricken day.

Even the ground is painted in West Scam colours.
    Andy Gray couldn't get out of Burn-leh fast enough ....... ;o)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Found it tough moving down South ... on thousands a week .. ah shucks[/quote]

i know its a hard life poor lad
  • Options
    I hope he gets his arse into gear soon - I had a tenner on him to be top scorer in the division at the start of the season so am not exactly happy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I hope he gets his arse into gear soon - I had a tenner on him to be top scorer in the division at the start of the season so am not exactly happy!

Should have put your tenner on Andy Gray....?