Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Thatcher .. milk snatcher ...

edited August 2006 in General Charlton
Listening to Fat Boy Brazil this morning (I'm not sute why I do it) but he said it was a run of the mill challenge, he wasn't sure why all the Furore about it.

Comments

• Options
    The only time that would have been acceptable would have been if Luke had done it to Ronaldo...

(thats a joke, it was a disgraceful challenge)

But how funny would it have been....;-)
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRaS7ffyWg

not run of the mill to me.
  • Options
    It was a cowards challenge, hope the nasty piece of work gets a huge fine and a lengthy ban cos that is about the worst they can do to him I'm afraid.
  • Options
    FA to look at Thatcher challenge

The Football Association has confirmed it is investigating Manchester City defender Ben Thatcher's challenge on Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes.
    Thatcher received a yellow card for his challenge which left Mendes needing oxygen at the pitchside.

Mendes later suffered a seizure en route to hospital.

An FA spokesman told BBC Sport: "Our compliance unit is looking at it, but Fifa rules make it difficult to upgrade a yellow card to red."

Thatcher appeared to catch Mendes with his forearm, sending the Portuguese midfielder into advertising hoardings.

The FA will wait to see the contents of referee Dermot Gallagher's match report before deciding its next course of action.

Had Gallagher dismissed Thatcher for violent conduct, FA rules allow it to impose further punishment on top of the three-match ban the offence carries.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp called for the FA to take action against Thatcher.

The incident was captured by television cameras but video evidence cannot be used to retrospectively upgrade a yellow card.

A Fifa spokesman confirmed to BBC sport: "It is one of the fundamental rules of the game that the referee's decision is final.

"Therefore, if his decision that an offence warrants a yellow card, that cannot be changed later by somebody else."

Mendes was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary where his conditions was described as "comfortable."
  • Options
    we played for the same Sunday club as youngsters.

not my favourite person in the world.
  • Options
    Listening to Fat Boy Brazil this morning (I'm not sute why I do it) but he said it was a run of the mill challenge

Lol, and tell me Alan what opinion does your guide dog have of the challenge?

Thatchers "assault" was exactly that, an assault. It wasn't an accidental collision, he went out of his way to strike Mendes with his elbow and forearm. Personally I hope Mendes or his club make a complaint to the police and press charges.
  • Options
    saw it on the news last night.

Unbelievable. If it was done in the stands you'd be looking at a nice little spell inside.

I can see him getting away with it due to that stupid booking rule as well.
  • Options
    Thatcher now been charged with serious foul play, and suspended from Man City.

Fair play to Pearce, i expected him to be an apologist, but stay close with his player. But he has come out and said it was indefensible. Couldn't see Fergie, Wenger and co doing that.
  • Options
    it's not the first time thatcher has done that with his elbow. i can't remember which match it was but it proves that this is not a one-off.
    it seems you can take the thug out of millwall, yet not millwall out of the thug.
  • Options
    it was for Wimbledon, against Sheffield United.

It was even worse than this one, yet i think he only got a 2 game ban.

They're going for him big time on this one though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last one....for now!