Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The FA's "Respect" Pilot

Something I've been asking to see for a long time. Built around the rugby style of respect to referee's I think this can only be a good thing...

Any opinions?

http://www.soccer365.com/english_premiership/story_29108170602.php

Comments

• Options
    Saw some bits and pieces on it on SSN when I got in last night.

I think he could and should work but a lot (if not all) is going to rely on the referees actually enforcing the rule.

Remember when "chatting back" was meant to be punished by moving the ball 10 yards forward. It happened on a handful of occasions when it goes on non stop in a game.

Show almost zero tolerance and it might work, if not it will get dumped.
  • Options
    IMO, it's all down to the first weekend that it's implemented. The first time several players surround the ref, they MUST all be cautioned. The next time they do it, they're off. As soon as a team lose 4 or 5 players, no other teams will surround the ref....
  • Options
    Can you imagine a ref sending off 5 players and the game being abandoned though? No chance.
  • Options
    Nice idea but it won't happen.

Not only does the whole culture of football undermine it before it's started but the culture within the governing bodies does too. They all talk a good game but when it comes down to it they're all hot air. If they really came down hard on the perpetrators then referees and the like might feel more inclined to bother too. I speak from experience.

Also, absolutely typically, they're approaching it from a totally arse-about-face angle - how do they expect the grass roots to do something when the stars of the game, who everyone looks at week in week out set the worst example possible? If someone - adult or child - sees the like of Rooney etc giving offiicals the hairdryer treatment and going unpunished then they're pretty likely to do just the same. Again, I speak from experience.

Like I said, nice idea, anything that helps improve this great game of ours can only be a good thing and i don't want to be too negative, but in the hands of those who run the game I do not trust.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Can you imagine a ref sending off 5 players and the game being abandoned though? No chance.

No sadly, but that's what needs to happen. The FA should then protect and back those officials 100% and be unstinting in their aims until the message has been gotten across. And that is where it falls down. The FA are weak in this area and I'm convinced the referees at top level are given an agenda based on entertainment rather than the laws and the good of the game.
  • Options
    A way round that .......... Players would be first warned that they will be individually reported to the FA when cautioned - before being cautioned again and sent off for second offence, in the normal way.

The FA could then charge each player (and the club) for bringing the game into disrepute.
    Any player cautioned & charged would receive automatic 3 match ban + pro rata fine according to players contract.
    And 6 game ban for sending off + treble fine.

Any player found guilty of a second charge would at least receive double punishment.

Onus is then on the club to sort out their own player indiscipline - as well as punishing players individually.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    Shame we don't run the FA eh?

Referees are controlled by the Premiership, who also control the FA.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Shame we don't run the FA eh?

Referees are controlled by the Premiership, who also control the FA.

So you'd think then that below the Premiership all such problems disappear. No, because everyone looks at the Premiership - players and officials - as being 'the benchmark'.

So roll it out from the top down and stick to it.
  • Options
    Totally agree C_f_W
  • Options
    small print at bottom excluding Man Utd.