Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official Site

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: NorthStandUltra[/cite]Right, the official site isn't working - something is being announced then.

A dozen people are looking at it, so the server can't hack it.
  • Options
    its taking a hammering now believe me..
  • Options
    is on its knees....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]If Reid goes I think thats the end of Charlton's association with PL football for a long time to come. To stand any chance of staying up, should we get there, we need players of Reid's calibre to be part of the squad, and then we need to build around them with the PL cash. Getting promoted in the summer, and then looking around for virtually a whole new squad to keep us there is a very dangerous gamble IMHO.[/quote]
    How can you say that when he singularly failed to make any difference last season? Ah, injuries you might say. But he is clearly injury-prone and so it makes good sense for the benefit of the Club to accept a fully-valued offer for him.
    Losing Reid will not only NOT prevent us from challenging for promotion, it will rid the club of a major distraction of a player, whose absence by injury has not adversely affected our performances one jot but whose return would once again have de-stabilised the shape of the team.
    Looking at the comments on this board I can honestly say that he must be the most over-rated player in the 35 years that I've been following CAFC.[/quote]

You see a lot more of him than me Peanuts, so would be a far better judge of his influence on the team. But from the few matches I have seen this season and last, he looks like a PL quality player. Pele wouldn't have saved the team last season, and I don't suggest we wont get promoted without him, but we will have to spend more in the summer to replace him. How many of the current squad do you think would cut it in the PL?
  • Options
    Bingaddick Wrote :

"Right so lets blame Reid now shall we? An injury prone footballer who has a very short career ahead of him where he can earn decent money. Would you stay for more money/kudos elsewhere?"

The one thing we all tend to forget is just how much they are earning. Even at "little" Charlton, Reid will be earning more in a month than most of us earn in a year. It would probably take most people 15 years to earn what he earns in one year. Three years and thats him with as much dosh as the rest of us would have earned by the time we retired!

Assuming hes on a (conservative estimate) 10k a week salary, as things stand, it would take me 100 years to earn what he does in one!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Assuming hes on a (conservative estimate) 10k a week salary
    Lower...

(i don't know anything but i don't think there are many players on over £10k p/w at The Valley anymore)
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited January 2008
    Nobody in the current playing squad is on more than 10K a week....exception was Bent and Wigan are paying all his wages.....still think its good business selling Reid....just want the confirmation, otherwise this has all been a bit pointless
  • Options
    wouldn't it be funny if he failed medical
  • Options
    Pretty sure Reid was on more than that and was our biggest earner, apart from Marcus Bent and Amadamamady Faye
  • Options
    you would be surprised (apparently)...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Assuming hes on a (conservative estimate) 10k a week salary[/quote]
    Lower...

(i don't know anything but i don't think there are many players on over £10k p/w at The Valley anymore)[/quote]

Really? I am shocked, he came to us as a PL player, and he earns less than 500k a year?

Okay, so lets say he earns 5k a week, still a damn sight more than you or I EVER will...
  • Options
    I think you will find that any club worth its salt (unlike Leeds/Derby etc) would have a clause in the contract stating that all bets are off as regards to EPL wages if relegated. Anyway as I said nobody is on over 10k :-)....thats not to say they wont get a handsome bonus for promotion though is it.
  • Options
    He was earning 400k a year with us, he's now earning £1.2m a year in Sunderland, no brainer innit
  • Options
    not many senior prem players would sign such a contract, mind you technically he wasnt that senior..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]not many senior prem players would sign such a contract, mind you technically he wasnt that senior..
    Why do you think Herman jumped ship every time one of his teams got relegated?
  • Options
    erm cos he had a clause saying he could?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    And maybe a clause saying that wages will be be cut by 70%...
  • Options
    recent signings have not all had such clauses - hence the necessity in loaning out Marcus Bent and Amadamady Faye - despite the fact that we could well have been in pole position if we had MB this season.
  • Options
    marcus bent your having a laugh
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]If we offload both Reid and Thomas then I feel certain we will see another winger come in. Wagstaff et al are probably a bit too young and that would leave us short on the flanks.

I get the impression that we are offloading him for a decent wedge, there has been no suggestion that he has asked for the move or subsequently done a Murphy or Parker. has anyone considered that we've fxxked him and said sod off we've been offered wads of money. Have yet to hear Pards moaning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited January 2008
    Kap, take a look at the "Pards on Reid" thread

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=13848&page=1

"That's football sometimes. I didn't really want it to happen, but these things happen."