Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Homebrew

Comments

• Carter's place on a Saturday night

wurzels.jpg
  • YES!!

You have just posted a picture of the pub Ketman DJ's in!!
  • When you bringing me up some to try ?
  • Soon mate
  • edited January 2009
    I wont forget ;-)
  • got a kit for xmas well basically got 2 tins of liquid and a sachet of yeast;

correct method ive worked out to be

6 litres boiling water with 17 litres cold to give me an overall 23 litres sprinkle yeast on top, leave to ferment for 7 days.

siphon product into either a pressure barrel or bottles.

leave for 48 hours in warm place and then store in cool area until ready to drink ( 2-3months?).

the kits is a wherry ale kit
  • got a kit for xmas well basically got 2 tins of liquid and a sachet of yeast;

6 litres boiling water with 17 litres cold to give me an overall 23 litres sprinkle yeast on top, leave to ferment for 7 days.

leave for 48 hours in warm place and then store in cool area until ready to drink ( 2-3months?).

You might want to consider adding some hops.
  • edited January 2018
    Impressive @palarsehater - finding and re-opening a thread started 10 years ago!
  • I love the taste of my own brew
  • Sponsored links:

• I have made the odd beer and cider with little success but I got into making wine and that can be very decent. It's not cheap if you buy the top of the range kits but the wine is very good - especially if you leave it long enough in the bottle before you drink it.
  • PopIcon said:

got a kit for xmas well basically got 2 tins of liquid and a sachet of yeast;

The tins of liquid I referred to are Hopped malt extract, (Malted barley, water, hops, hop extract)
  • PopIcon said:

The tins of liquid I referred to are Hopped malt extract, (Malted barley, water, hops, hop extract)
    Best advice I can give is to go well over the top disinfecting everything, if the year isn't fully disinfected it will ruin whatever you make. If you want it to come out mega clear then empty a sachet of finings into your barrell before you decant into bottles or tip it in your pressure barrell. Bottles are dangerous as they can explode. I always got best results from using a pressure barrel
  • Carter said:

PopIcon said:

Best advice I can give is to go well over the top disinfecting everything, if the year isn't fully disinfected it will ruin whatever you make. If you want it to come out mega clear then empty a sachet of finings into your barrell before you decant into bottles or tip it in your pressure barrell. Bottles are dangerous as they can explode. I always got best results from using a pressure barrel
    cheers for the tips, the kit I've been gifted doesn't say add any sugar watched a youtube vid of a review of the kit i have and it adds sugar.
  • PopIcon said:

Is this your first ever brew?
  • PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

Is this your first ever brew?
    yeah never really had any interest until i got it for xmas now thought i may aswell give it a go instead of leaving it to gather dust in the garage.
  • As a teenager I made my own cider. Took absolutely no care with regard to cleanliness etc and ended up making revolting cider which made me quite spectacularly sick. Haven't drunk cider since.
    Good luck.
  • I want to know what @palarsehater is going to call his brew?

• Carter said:

PopIcon said:

Yes, a friend of mine (who's worked in breweries all his life) always advises people about the importance of hygiene, and cleaning the vessels properly, i.e. with boiling water (and no the hot tap isn't hot enough).

Without clean vessels, you're likely to get infections in the beer, and off tastes which will adversely affect its flavour
  • edited January 2018

Carter said:

PopIcon said:

cheers for the tips, the kit I've been gifted doesn't say add any sugar watched a youtube vid of a review of the kit i have and it adds sugar.
    Most of the standard kits these days have enough sugar in the malt extract. I'd go with what it says on the tin rather than a youtube vid. If it's Woodford's Wherry, I've made that kid before and am pretty sure there was no need to add any sugar. Can't speak for any other brands of Wherry though.

What you might like to do is add just a small amount of sugar prior to bottling/barrelling. About a tenth of the initial amount should do, this just helps with the second fermentation. You can buy brewers sugar which is a little finer than standard or use ordinary caster sugar. Personally I prefer Muscovado for a deep rich flavour and colour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Carter said:

PopIcon said:

Most of the standard kits these days have enough sugar in the malt extract. I'd go with what it says on the tin rather than a youtube vid. If it's Woodford's Wherry, I've made that kid before and am pretty sure there was no need to add any sugar. Can't speak for any other brands of Wherry though.

What you might like to do is add just a small amount of sugar prior to bottling/barrelling. About a tenth of the initial amount should do, this just helps with the second fermentation. You can buy brewers sugar which is a little finer than standard or use ordinary caster sugar. Personally I prefer Muscovado for a deep rich flavour and colour.
    I started brewing about 40 years ago, don't do it often these days, due to circumstances ;-)

You shouldn't add sugar to a Woodfordes Wherry kit*, or hops. It doesn't need either and if brewed as per the instructions, will give you a decent pint of bitter. In fact, it's the best kit I've brewed, but, as I said, I don't brew much these days.

* except for a small amount for secondary fermentation, as Stig mentions above.

My best advice with brewing (and other pastimes) is to keep your equipment clean, but make sure you've rinsed away any residue of the steriliser as that will not improve the taste.

With regards to the idea of adding more sugar than is recommended, whilst this sounds like a good idea, the resultant brew will have a "thin" taste. If you want to raise the alcohol level it's better to reduce the amount of water you add to the kit. Even better would be to buy a kit designed to give you a higher alcohol content. Sugar increases the alcohol percentage but does not add any flavor.

Kits have come on leaps and bounds since I started. These days you can get kits which will produce a very drinkable beer, better than you will find in some pubs. You do get what you pay for and the better kits do not require you to add sugar.

Once you have a bit more experience you can experiment with adding things to kits and customising them. Or, if you get really into it, you can start brewing from the ingredients - the best homebrew is made this way and I've had some which beats anything you can buy in a pub.
  • My old man used to brew from scratch. Hops, yeast free from Fullers brewery, made in stainless steel kit he built himself. Most important was the cooler to bring the hot wort down to temperatute. Beer in one end and coils of cold water. Lucky we werent on a meter. Turned out pub quality stuff.
  • After it’s bottled how long should it last for? Once bottled am I correct in thinking it should be stored in a warmish place for 2 days then moved to a cool place like the garage. Once it’s in the garage how long should I wait before drinking/last for

Cheers for all the advice
  • After it’s bottled how long should it last for? Once bottled am I correct in thinking it should be stored in a warmish place for 2 days then moved to a cool place like the garage. Once it’s in the garage how long should I wait before drinking/last for

Cheers for all the advice

I'd leave it at least a fortnight after bottling before drinking it. Don't be putting teaspoons of sugar in as you bottle it, it shouldn't need it of you be followed the instructions and kept everything clean. I've used bottles with reusable plastic caps as well as a barrell and always found the barrel better.

When you are brewing you want to keep it warm, I've heard airing cupboards are ideal. I bought a couple of heat pads off eBay that you plug into the mains and put the bucket you use to brew on top of them and that works perfect, also means you can brew it out of the way of airing cupboards. Once you've siphoned into bottles leave them somewhere they won't be disturbed. the longer they sit they more they clear up. Sediment is normal but you shouldn't get a lot with lager and it won't hurt you. Thats one of the reasons I prefer to use barrels, drop a sachet of finings in and whatever you be brewed comes up pretty clear
  • I like to give mine a nice long rest: two maybe three hours before I start on it. Seriously though, I'd be guided by the manufacturers instructions. I have had plenty that have disappeared within a month and been absolutely fine. I wouldn't look to keep them very long to be honest, a year max.
  • While it's a good place to start, I've never had a remarkable kit beer. The sooner you get on to grain the better.
  • It's a slippery slope. Started some 15 years ago with a kit and now have 5 beer taps rotating regular favourites and some specialties you'd never find on tap outside of their areas. I have kegs sitting in the garage that won't go on tap for another 6 months while they mature.

A fascinating hobby but can take quite a bit of time, money and self-control if you want to keep a healthy liver.

Good luck!
  • Anyone know where to get milled malt, my three normal suppliers are closed or not shipping.
  • Wilkinson is worth a look online mate
  • Ebay is also your friend