Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

99/00 compared to 07/08

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
Juat wondering how our best current eleven compare to the team that arguably got us promoted in 2000 (based on who played the most)

Then it was:

Kiely
Weaver
Shields
Halford
Powell
Youga
Rufus
Bougherra
Brown
McCarthy
Newton
Sam
Kinsella
ZZ
Stuart
Holland
Robinson
Ambrose
Hunt
Gray
Mendonca (crocked version) -
Varney

subs:

Ilic
Randolph(?)
Barness
Moo2
Youds
Fortune
K Jones
Semedo
Svennson
Iwelumo

If you had to pick one team from that lot - what would it be?

Comments

• Options
    the 2000 team for me , there's a bit more experience and passion in there, although i think this seasons team has a bit more ability/flair about it, i really don't think we've played to our full ability consistently enough this season
  • Options
    The 2000 team would wipe the floor with the current team but that's not to say that we aren't good enough to go up, even automatically. It's a reflection of what a poor league the CCC has become.
  • Options
    Where's Pringle?..
  • Options
    'Where is Pringle ?'

He is now a cricket correspondent for one of the broadsheets.

On the subject of Cricket how bad is our team. Cook, Broad and at a touch Pieterson are the only decent players in that side.
  • Options
    Kiely
    Youga
    Rufus
    Halford
    Bougherra
    Ambrose
    ZZ
    Kinsella
    Robinson
    Hunt
    Varney
  • Options
    You forgot Todd !!!
  • Options
    Its a great post to see the 2 squads lined up side by side like that.

But its almost impossible to compare.

The 99/00 Team are so much in our hearts that you naturally are inclined to them and we know how it played out for Rufus/Mendoca and Hunt in terms of injury and illness.

But some of the current team could become legends too. We are about to see it all unfold before our very eyes.

Many people are criticising the standard of the CCC. I find it difficult to do that. In the the match ups in the FA Cup v the Championship sides they have done ok. Not a sound benchmark I know.

There were some pretty weak sides against us in 99/00 and some of the football wasnt that attractive either.
  • Options
    That side immissthepeanutman was the best ive every seen watching us over 29 years. We should of won the cup that year aswell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]That side immissthepeanutman was the best ive every seen watching us over 29 years. We should of won the cup that year aswell.

Well each to there own. IMHO in terms of quality the Parker/Di Canio brief era may have been better.

Steve Brown/Robbo and Newton wore their hearts on their sleeve but I dont think they would get into this current team. Pringle could be a nightmare in front of goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]That side immissthepeanutman was the best ive every seen watching us over 29 years. We should of won the cup that year aswell.

Pringle could be a nightmare in front of goal.

No room for McLeod, then ......... ? ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]

Pringle could be a nightmare in front of goal.

No room for McLeod, then ......... ? ;o)

Naughty? Have we seen enough of him to make a judgement? Maybe. I dont know his previous record but he did score plenty of goals. I am not sure of the quality of them and that of the opposition but the management must have seen something to fork out as much as they did. I just feel if he got a couple of decent goals behind him then he may get that confidence back and take off. Against that in the position we are in we cant afford to miss anymore decent chances in front of goal. Its a difficult one. Hate to see Charlton waste money.