Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many points do we need to go up?

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
51 points now. 14 games to go. Not sure how many points we might actually need to finish in the top two, no one is running away with the title race. I though 80 points might be enough this season. Can we get there?

Our Run in

Sat Feb 16 Watford 15:00 H
Sat Feb 23 Blackpool 15:00 A
Sat Mar 01 Sheffield United 15:00 A
Tue Mar 04 Bristol City 19:45 H
Sat Mar 08 Preston North End 15:00 H
Tue Mar 11 Burnley 19:45 A
Sat Mar 15 Ipswich Town 15:00 A
Fri Mar 21 West Bromwich Albion 16:45 H
Sat Mar 29 Wolverhampton Wanderers 17:20 H
Sat Apr 05 Plymouth Argyle 15:00 A
Sat Apr 12 Southampton 15:00 H
Sat Apr 19 Queens Park Rangers 15:00 A
Sat Apr 26 Barnsley 15:00 A
Sun May 04 Coventry City 15:00 H

Comments

• Options
    29 points from 42,dont think so!
  • Options
    We have to beat the teams around us at The Valley and pick up points away where possible.

Bristol City and Stoke have to blow up soon like Palace did if they don't then they deserve it.
  • Options
    Think Stoke have been superb all season.
  • Options
    may sqeeze in 6th - just depends how the next 4 game sgo - at home against the top 2 and away against the lowewr league sides. If we don't win those 2 home games you may as well go on holiday on May 24th.
  • Options
    Already booked it....:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]may sqeeze in 6th - just depends how the next 4 game sgo - at home against the top 2 and away against the lowewr league sides. If we don't win those 2 home games you may as well go on holiday on May 24th.

Hurrah, the suicide squad are out
  • Options
    Winning all home games and drawing all away gives us 79 points and going on a 14 match unbeaten run. If Palace can do it so can we...

Not sure if 79 points would get us automotaically promoted though. Got a feeling we could be going to Bristol City midweek in the playoffs...
  • Options
    Have any of the other teams in the top 6 got to face each other?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]may sqeeze in 6th - just depends how the next 4 game sgo - at home against the top 2 and away against the lowewr league sides. If we don't win those 2 home games you may as well go on holiday on May 24th.

Hurrah, the suicide squad are out

They will be, and in big numbers if Burnley keep going the way they are!

Andy Cole's looking like an inspired loan signing
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't know why people are saying we need x amount of points to go up.
    Nobody knows how many points we need and none of the other clubs know how many they need either.

The top 5 have been the more or less the same clubs all season - and while each has had their good runs & bad runs, we've stayed hanging on to their shirt tails all season. It's an uninspiring dog eat dog league, but we are still there.

As Watford, who couldn't get a win for love nor money a month ago have proved, all it takes is a couple of back to back wins and suddenly you are top again.

We're still there, we haven't had our good run yet, but we've still got as good as chance as anybody.

Or would people only be happy if we were 10 points ahead already?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Or people would only be happy if we were 10 points ahead already?
    Don't be stupid Oggy, if we were 10 points clear and drew last night certain people would be saying:

"We can't afford to draw these games, other teams will go on a run and overtake us"

I'm getting rather peed off that people seem to see the positives in all of our rivals but not in the actual team they support. Baffling.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    When I get time I'll look up wthe number of points the second place team has gained in order to get promoted. I remember Sunderland getting 90 and finishing third the season we beat them at Wembley
  • Options
    loads of twists and turns yet, neither Bristol or Stoke have it dodgie such as ourselves, Watford and WBA. We need to just keep winning the home games and nick points away at the likes of Pymouth, Burnley, QPR and Ipswich, if we do that we will be fine, we are sitting just nicely, no one is talking about us, and we are under no preasure, come what April Stoke and Bristol may lose there bottle or pick up injuries to key players
  • Options
    Second place teams

06-07 Birmingham 86
    05-06 Sheff Utd 90
    04-05 Wigan 87
    03-04 WBA 86
    02-03 Leicester 92
    01-02 West Brom 89
    00-01 Blackburn 91
    99-00 Man City 89
    98-99 Bradford 87
    97-98 Boro 90
    96-97 Barnsley 80

I still think 80 could be enough this season. nine wins and two draws. it's do-able.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]When I get time I'll look up wthe number of points the second place team has gained in order to get promoted. I seem to remember Sunderland getting 88 or 90 and finishing third the season we beat them at Wembley
    Done it earlier mate:

Teams Finishing in 6th Place for the past 5 Seasons

06/07 - Saints - 75pts
    05/06 - Palace - 75pts
    04/05 - West Ham - 73pts
    03/04 - Palace - 73pts
    02/03 - Forest - 74pts

Teams Finishing in 2nd Place for the past 5 seasons

06/07 - Brum - 86pts
    05/06 - Sheff U - 90pts
    04/05 - Wigan - 87pts
    03/04 - WBA - 86pts
    02/03 - (and) Leceister - 92pts
  • Options
    I can't see the 2nd place team needing 86 points this season.

We know who we have to play.

But of our promotion rivals, who has still to play each other?That could easily be a key factor - as they can't all pick up maximum points.
  • Options
    There are seven games left involving the top 5 playing one another:

1. cafc v watford
    2.cafc v Bristol city
    3. Bristol city v watford
    4. watford v stoke
    5. cafc v WBA
    6. WBA v watford
    7. Stoke v bristol city
  • Options
    This time last season Sunderland were on 53 points and ended up winning the league on 88 points. I've got a feeling we'll need more than that though!
  • Options
    There are 14 games left this season. If we won them all (!!) we would have 93 points. If we win all our home games & draw all our away games we will get to 79 points. I reckon we will need around 80 points to secure automatic promotion, which means securing another 29 points from 14 games. Do-able but realistically pretty tough, given our major problem of inconsistency. One thing is for sure, we can't afford to lose too many more games this season if we aim to get automatic promotion.