Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew said 'we lacked a little quality',,,

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
...we sold him last week Al!

Comments

• Options
    weird, no one said this on Friday night, or Saturday, or sunday, or Monday, or to about 9.45 this evening.

I get the feeling some people enjoy us not winning
  • Options
    there's nothing little about reid and his quality;-)
  • Options
    I disagree - I think I havn't stopped mentioning the fact that we let or best player go......never mind, we didn't want to go up this season anyway.

I said it would come back to haunt us.
  • Options
    Thats the FREE SEASON TICKET out of the window then!!!!
  • Options
    A lot of people said that last week....we lost our most skilful player....why we let him go in Jan is beyond me especially when 40 mil is at stake which makes the 4 mil we got for him seem trivial....we ain't going anywhere if we can't beat the Scunthorpes or Sheff Weds.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]I disagree - I think I havn't stopped mentioning the fact that we let or best player go

Haven't you? Can't say I noticed.

But Golfie, for the third time, DID YOU ENJOY FRIDAY???
    (Why are you ignoring me?)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]A lot of people said that last week....we lost our most skilful player....why we let him go in Jan is beyond me especially when 40 mil is at stake which makes the 4 mil we got for him seem trivial....we ain't going anywhere if we can't beat the Scunthorpes or Sheff Weds.....

I think a number of muppets on the board want to make a fast buck and use the spin "it's good business"
  • Options
    FAO Off it - Yes, of course I enjoyed Friday, but beating Palarse means nothing we can't beat Scunny of Sheff Wed.

Too many posters on here were bigging it up last week - it still only meant 3 points. I'd rather we lost and won the other 2 games than win that one and only pick up 1 point from the other two.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ct_addick[/cite]A lot of people said that last week....we lost our most skilful player....why we let him go in Jan is beyond me especially when 40 mil is at stake which makes the 4 mil we got for him seem trivial....we ain't going anywhere if we can't beat the Scunthorpes or Sheff Weds.....

I think a number of muppets on the board want to make a fast buck and use the spin "it's good business"

Define "fast buck". Are you suggesting that someone is on the take at the club?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

But Golfie, for the third time, DID YOU ENJOY FRIDAY???

I also did enjoy Friday (as day return travel from Sheffield to The Valley is definitely possible even when games have had an 8.00pm kick off).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i personally thought it was good business to get rid of him for the cash when we had performing players that could do the business whilst he was out for those games...

but thats just me.

if the reality when we went down was that we might not make it up straight away, then the cash will help us out in the long run.... but I don't sit in on board meetings to know the true reasoning.

I must add, that i did think he was out best player when on the pitch, fit and not marked ( or charged down after 5 seconds on the ball).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]FAO Off it - Yes, of course I enjoyed Friday, but beating Palarse means nothing we can't beat Scunny of Sheff Wed.

There you go again mate, every silver lining has a cloud with you, doesn't it? Why is there always a "but"? Why do you never post anything after we've won a game but always seem to post whenever a result has not gone our way?

I worry about you Golfie old son, honestly I do. You're part of our big Charlton "family" but you never seem to be having any fun. There's no point always looking at the negative and worrying about stuff that might never happen mate. Otherwise you'll wake up one day - or rather you wont - and you will wonder where it all went and how it was that everyone else seemed to be having a laugh but you never did. I'm gonna seek you out next home game and buy you a pint mate - and I don't offer that lightly.

Chin up.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Define "fast buck". Are you suggesting that someone is on the take at the club?

fast buck –noun Slang.
    money made easily or quickly and sometimes unscrupulously.

It was probably not made unscrupulously - but nevertheless money made quickly for a short term gain which could prove to be more costly. Like costing us promotion and therefore the 40 million or whatever.
  • Options
    its funny, ''cause my philosphy on life is just that - best enjoy yourself now as you don't know how long you have left !

its just with CAFC there are so many little things that should be straight forward but aren't. Footy is an easy game and we make it so much harder - get the ball in your opponents goal more times than they get it in yours. Simple.

tonights done my head in - i'm off to bed. perhaps in the morning it wont look so bad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]its funny, ''cause my philosphy on life is just that - best enjoy yourself now as you don't know how long you have left !

That settles it then Golfie. Saturday, Watford at home - me and you out on the lash and we'll put the world to rights. Name your venue.
  • Options
    This board does my swede in sometimes.

Did anyone see the size of Reid on Saturday? Really think he would make the difference for us in the promotion run-in when the bloke clearly is not cut out for a full season of football? Jesus H Christ he's been out for a month but from the looks of him in his 'cameo' role on Saturday he's put on on about two ****ing stone!! 4 million quid is very, very good money for a player who, though clearly talented, would equally clearly have been as much use to us as a chocolate teapot whilst he ran off his weight gain over the next three-four weeks. In addition, he would be prone to aggravating existing or picking up new injuries because, as anyone who has ever played football at any level will know, if you play at full pelt whilst overweight you are guarandamnteed to get injured.

Am I happy that we sold a good player, who may have been a useful addition to our squad in the run-in? Not particularly. Do I think selling Reid was the 'right' thing for the club to do at the time? Absolutely - I maintain that the money we got for him was excellent business. We've arguably looked a better side when he hasn't been playing anyway - the odd debacle aside - we're much more balanced, Holland and ZZ play better together without Reid drifting around, we have more purpose going forward and are definitely stronger in the middle without him.

Much as I rate Reid as a player, he clearly will never fulfil his potential because he just doesn't have the right body shape to be a professional footballer in the modern game - anyone else on here remember Fatty Garland? he had similar problems - I saw him playing for Whyteleafe a few seasons ago and, despite being only about 33 he must have weighed - no exaggeration here - 16 stone.

Reid is gone - get over it.
  • Options
    fazza and Leroy have nailed it in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    I dont think we are giving due credit to Stoke and Bristol City here. Watford and WBA were expected to be challengers but not the other two. I quite like to see clubs that havent had much success get a dose of it for the sake of their fans. God we went for years in the doldrums and it was painful.

Of the top 7 teams playing last night only 1 goal (or none) defined the result. So as has been said its a tight league. If we can continue with the home wins like the Stoke and Palace and draw away we are in with a chance. Every game now seems to be massive. I just hope we keep in with a shout.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]Of the top 7 teams playing last night only 1 goal (or none) defined the result. So as has been said its a tight league. If we can continue with the home wins like the Stoke and Palace and draw away we are in with a chance. Every game now seems to be massive. I just hope we keep in with a shout.

Not sure. That will give us 79 points. That will get us in the playoffs but i doubt we'll get automatic promotion.

We need to win some away games, no doubt about that!

(Also that means we go the rest of the season unbeaten!)
  • Options
    Spot on Leroy.

We were the width of the post from sneaking an away win at a tough fixture, bloody moaners (Well just Golf really) do my head in.

We'll win on Saturday and at Blackpool and lets see where that leaves us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Stoke has 'power' in their locker that can be teams like Sucnthorpe, Sheff Wed i dont think we have enough 'power'.

They are big and strong and phyical we dont have that even though we have the worst disaplinary record in the division. I heard the official were clowns last night ho hum.

And a big plus is that we are not conceding shed loads of goals due to Weaver, Paddy, Magic, Youga and now Halford.

I would of taken a play off spot at the start of the season but we must get back in the premiership for the wonga.
  • Options
    i noticed some people said last night was a decent point, by all accounts we were crap again and the only difference between last night and scunthorpe was that we didn't make a cock up at the back that cost us a point.
    In all fairness if you want to be promoted then we need to be beating these kind of teams, and there are two ways of doing this, the stoke way, and the Bristol City way (the way we used to play, with two wingers and a powerful striker) we seem to do neither.
    I thing i am really bored of is Pardew's excuses, he seems to have two main ones, something to do with our quality players (eg Ambrose etc) and the other being that we were out muscled.
    Well Mr Pardew we all hailed you on Friday but to be honest its down to you to get the best out of these players, and lets start this on Sat in a game that is now even bigger after failing to take 3 points yest.
    One positive, we still haven't had a long run of good results that the others have had, lets hope thats its on its way soon
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    Watford went an obscene amount of games without winning at home, WBA are slipping up at the moment, Stoke have only won twice in their last 6 away games, as have Bristol City - swings and roundabouts.

Notably, we have not won in our last 6 and it is obvious we need to pick up a couple of results on the road but at least now our home form has been turned around it seems (we totally outplayed Stoke by the way...). I will still remain positive, especially as the proverbial "6 pointers" are still to come at The Valley but understand that we need to pick up maybe 3 or 4 wins from our last 7 away games to get into the automatic promotion places.

As you say, we havent had that run yet, hopefully it is to come - all it would take is 5/6 game winning run!
  • Options
    You will have those who will blindly see it as a good point away from home, and those who will blindly see it as a wasted opportunity.

Result aside, the one thing that disappointed me was that it appeared to be a flat performance. I've read 50 reviews from Sheff W fans, and about 48 said the Charlton were dire. Pards speaks greatly of the consistency needed to achieve promotion, and he is fully correct, but we are failing to adhere to these words.

I think those who would see it as a good point away from home are still perhaps in the mentality of the past 10 seasons, when by and large any point away from home is a good point. But we need to be looking at it as a different animal this season. If Chelsea drew away to say Fulham, it would rightly be seen as a wasted opportunity, as it would in any league where a top 5 club visits a bottom 3 side.

We're approaching the business end of the season, and if we want to be a serious player, we need to start getting more clinical when the opportunities arise.
  • Options
    Watford seem to have come through their bad patch and will be full of confidence for Saturday so I'm not sure it will be the easy 3 points a few on here seem to be anticipating
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Watford seem to have come through their bad patch and will be full of confidence for Saturday so I'm not sure it will be the easy 3 points a few on here seem to be anticipating
    Don't think it will be easy but i think we can take great confidence from the displays and results of our last 3 games against Blackpool, Stoke and Palace.

If we can get off to a pacy start and a early goal (that we never seem to get!!) then i think we'll do them. After playing 45mins with 10 men against a battling (and) Leceister team alst night hopefully that will have taken something out of them.

PMA.
  • Options
    Reid.... excellent player we signed from Celtic forgotten who the other Reid was
  • Options
    actually losing Reid rather took the shine off the palace game as I said at the time to those around me, but hey I'm trying to move on, honest.

:]
  • Options
    We had a spell after Xmas when Varney was up front with McLeod and although the latter was lamentable in front of goal (but at least has scored, in not many more playing minutes than Gray), they were carving open the opposition and creating hatfuls of chances, including in two matches against West Brom. Unfortunately we can't get to see what Dicko has to offer, but it seems that a decent centre half can cut off the supply from Gray then Pardew turns to the less potent threat of Iwelumo. It seems he has to pick Gray because he spent money on him, yet our best forward line is two with pace.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]This board does my swede in sometimes.

Did anyone see the size of Reid on Saturday? Really think he would make the difference for us in the promotion run-in when the bloke clearly is not cut out for a full season of football? Jesus H Christ he's been out for a month but from the looks of him in his 'cameo' role on Saturday he's put on on about two ****ing stone!! 4 million quid is very, very good money for a player who, though clearly talented, would equally clearly have been as much use to us as a chocolate teapot whilst he ran off his weight gain over the next three-four weeks. In addition, he would be prone to aggravating existing or picking up new injuries because, as anyone who has ever played football at any level will know, if you play at full pelt whilst overweight you are guarandamnteed to get injured.

Am I happy that we sold a good player, who may have been a useful addition to our squad in the run-in? Not particularly. Do I think selling Reid was the 'right' thing for the club to do at the time? Absolutely - I maintain that the money we got for him was excellent business. We've arguably looked a better side when he hasn't been playing anyway - the odd debacle aside - we're much more balanced, Holland and ZZ play better together without Reid drifting around, we have more purpose going forward and are definitely stronger in the middle without him.

Much as I rate Reid as a player, he clearly will never fulfil his potential because he just doesn't have the right body shape to be a professional footballer in the modern game - anyone else on here remember Fatty Garland? he had similar problems - I saw him playing for Whyteleafe a few seasons ago and, despite being only about 33 he must have weighed - no exaggeration here - 16 stone.

Reid is gone - get over it.

Take a bow mate....sums it up perfectly.