Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dwain Chambers

WSSWSS
edited February 2008 in Other Football and Sports
Should be allowed to race or not?

Hypocritical treatment from authorities and fellow athletes?

Seems he is getting very harshly treated in my opinion. In no way am I advocating the use of PED (performance enhancing drugs) but in the rules, Chambers has served his time and deserves to have the chance to run. I think there is a shot putter (with less of a profile) who is in a similar situation and it has not got mentioned about.

Another thing, Linford who was embroiled in a drugs scandal i think, is now an ambassador for the sport I believe.

I thought Chambers was a dick after watching that Inside Sport documentary but the way he is being treated by the press and fellow pros is way over the top. Maybe Chambers can do a bit more regarding getting drugs out of the sport from now on as it may seem he is only involved in personal gain at the moment.

Let the guy race without this abuse and show kids that he made a mistake but come back and proved that you don;t need PED's to be successful.

Comments

• Options
    The thing with Chambers is that he claimed he retired, so he fell outside the UK sport testing programme, then all of a sudden announced he would run again.

He should have got a life ban, and it sends out a terrible signal, that to cheat is ok.
  • Options
    Should never where the GB shirt again, too many loop holes in sport, the message we are sending t young kids in sport is that its ok to take baned substances in sport as you can come back again after a few years, typical
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    Not sure of all the specific facts Sach to be fair but I thought that he never officially retired and was always on the list for testing but they never did. Maybe it was sly on Chambers behalf but there is still a certain incompetence of the authorities who seem to be blaming this on Chambers.

Thinking about sports, what about Ferdinand - i know it wasnt found if he had actually taken drugs but he was allowed back in, Bosnich? Mutu? Shaun Newton? Lee Bowyer?

Don't you think though, it says in the rules you can come back after two years - this is what Chambers has done.

What annoys me is I think this bloke was good enough anyway.
  • Options
    he has every right to compete. the media had their chance to pillory the guy a few years back when he first got back from his ban, but didn't. UK Athletics are kicking up this shit-storm to divert attention from their inability to confirm whether or not he had retired. They cocked up pure and simple and are trying to cover themselves.

As for the use of performance enhacing stuff. I have no problem with it. I would let the athletes take whatever the hell they like so long as they declare it. At least then it would allow some decent studies on the actual effects of the stuff on elite level athletes (both from performance enhancing and a safety point of view).
  • Options
    The thing is after he was banned he came out and said athletes couldn't win Olympic gold or major races unless they were on drugs. So what is he doing now?
    Is he clean or has he found the latest drug that will go undetected for a while?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Not sure of all the specific facts Sach to be fair but I thought that he never officially retired and was always on the list for testing but they never did. Maybe it was sly on Chambers behalf but there is still a certain incompetence of the authorities who seem to be blaming this on Chambers.

Thinking about sports, what about Ferdinand - i know it wasnt found if he had actually taken drugs but he was allowed back in, Bosnich? Mutu? Shaun Newton? Lee Bowyer?

Don't you think though, it says in the rules you can come back after two years - this is what Chambers has done.

What annoys me is I think this bloke was good enough anyway.

I think we should keep the question of Performance enhancing drugs and recreational drugs separate.

I have never had any problem with sportsmen,models,politicians taking recreational drugs if they want to. If the clubs want to have rules regarding discipline and performance thats one thing. But if they want to take drugs or drink in their private time whats wrong with that. You dont ban a player because he gets 3 points on his driving licence.

Our drink and drug laws are ridiculous.
  • Options
    what about the shot putter who is in the same valencia athletics squad who has also just come back from a two year drugs ban for taking steroids - not a bloody peep about him.

Just think chambers is being hung out to dry - the UK AA have their rules 2 year ban and if good enough you can go back. Why the massive furore over chambers when there is fuck all about the shot putter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]what about the shot putter who is in the same valencia athletics squad who has also just come back from a two year drugs ban for taking steroids - not a bloody peep about him.

Just think chambers is being hung out to dry - the UK AA have their rules 2 year ban and if good enough you can go back. Why the massive furore over chambers when there is fuck all about the shot putter.
    Ledge - just to be accurate here, Myerscough was banned nine years ago for two years - his ban was lifted in 2001. The press are making it seem like he has only just come back from a ban, so I can understand where the confusion may arise.
  • Options
    the mans scum.
  • Options
    Drugs laws in sport/life are a joke. Let the athletes take what they like and live with (and pay for!!!) the consequences. This whole issue is like the 70's/80's amateur rugby debate, everyone knows that the drugs laws are being routinely broken but as long as it's not in the public domain nobody cares.

S.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agree totally Nolly, anyone that saw the Inside Sport interview would realise the sort of person we are talking about here.

Abide by the laws or be banned (and it should be for life). Whether there are double standard's or not within UK Athletics, he should not be representing Great Britain under any circumstance.

He is taking the place of someone who could gain vital experience from such an event.

Prawn Sandwicher's, save your half time/full time boo's at The Valley for this man's next appearance in a GB shirt, he deserves nothing better.
  • Options
    the guys scum,why that comment was taken off before i dont no.
  • Options
    really leroy - didn't realise. all the same good for one good for all in my book.

Should allow these atheltes to take what they want - then when they all stat having heart attacks at 21 /22 years old they might realise why everyone was against it
  • Options
    Whether you agree with the laws or not is beside the point, he was given a ban, served his time and now wants to run again. I got no problem with that. I might not agree that he should and I feel a lifetime ban should be applied to all performance enhancing drug cheats. But the point is it isn't so he's done the crime, served the time, he should be free to run if he wants to.
  • Options
    not just a cheat chambers,but a cheat who still feels pissed that he got caught.no respect
  • Options
    redarmy the laws an ass then,he cheated and then said you had to cheat to win,then because he was playing american football in europe earning a buck he mouthed off,then when that went tits up hes back cap in hand,odius little runt.
  • Options
    Nolly i didn't say i liked him, I just said the law itself is shit, which I think we agree on. If anything good comes out of it, its that hopefully the law will be changed and this never happens again.
  • Options
    What was a wonderful sport is now about who employs the best chemist
  • Options
    who rembers that muscle bound czech runner,she could break walnuts with her thighs! scary.
  • Options
    Kratoch-something or other. Scary big fooker - with a massive big hormone induced piece no doubt!