Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

home area nearly sold out for watford

does that mean that if watford haven't sold all theirs pards may get his wish of having charlton fans in the jimmy seed ?

Comments

• Options
    Cant imagine Watford wont sell out.

27k in the CCC blimey.

Makes you wonder why we couldnt sell out for Palace, especially when certain elements of our support come out for Palace.
  • Options
    just singles left yesterday....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Cant imagine Watford wont sell out.

27k in the CCC blimey.

Makes you wonder why we couldnt sell out for Palace, especially when certain elements of our support come out for Palace.

cos of the restrictions on the tickets? red cards etc? I don't know, i'm just speculating!
  • Options
    I would have thought the shortfall against palace was due to restrictions on sales, Watford game on general sale (I think).
  • Options
    I reckon a few people would have decided to leave the kids at home rather than risk the trouble as well too
  • Options
    There is a big difference between 'seats sold' and 'seats available', as i know freebies have been offered round to schools etc.

The extent of which i don't know though.
  • Options
    It's doubtful that Watford will sell out their end - they have sold about 2,400 to date and will probably get up towards 3,000. Of course if home areas are sold out there may be some "neutrals" behind that goal.

We do have about 1,000 paying schools and football clubs on Saturday, mostly coming by coach. Otherwise Valley Express is doing as well as it did for Palace off a lower individual sales base, which suggests as you'd expect that people living further away are less able to come to evening kick-offs. Although we will have had more local fans for Palace, it was probably the travelling contingent who caused the shortfall in the gate and if the game had been played on a Saturday or Sunday it would probably have sold out.
  • Options
    interesting, thanks.
  • Options
    absolutely no chance of home fans getting into the jimmy seed stand as this season i think they sell the bottom blocks of the jimmy seed to the away fans first then if they take more than they give them the blocks at the back of the stand as well as an extra allocation!Should be great atmosphere though!
  • Options
    How far have we come in ten years! We get gates on par or bigger than Wolves, Ipswich, Norwich, WBA , Shef U and Leicester and bigger than Southampton, Coventry, Bristol City, Stoke, Sheff Wed and the little diddy Croydon FC, for your youngsters tutting to yourselves look at the same clubs gates ten years ago. I believe we are on average the 3rd Best supported club in the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]How far have we come in ten years! We get gates on par or bigger than Wolves, Ipswich, Norwich, WBA , Shef U and Leicester and bigger than Southampton, Coventry, Bristol City, Stoke, Sheff Wed and the little diddy Croydon FC, for your youngsters tutting to yourselves look at the same clubs gates ten years ago. I believe we are on average the 3rd Best supported club in the league.

it's amazing how much home support has improved over the years.....now any chance the away support can increase (new grounds excepted) :-)
  • Options
    maybe this one's almost sold out as they are a bigger draw than the nigels
  • Options
    Only seems like yesterday Curbs said that the goal was to have attendances such as QPR and then Norwich maybe we have taken a few things for granted in recent years
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited February 2008
    Just been looking at a Valley Revue from 1992 and it has the average attendances for that season.......

Newcastle 28835
    Charlton 5420 Still at Trumpton at this point
    Wolves 15282
    Birmingham8552
    Swindon9745
    Leicester 15728
    West Ham 14488
    Bristol City 12964
    Tranmere 5345
    Millwall 7806...!!!!
    Pompey 11813
    Notts County 7654!!!!!!!!!!
    Watford 8877
    Sunderland 17311
    Brentford 7769!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Southend 4885
    Peterborough 9094!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Grmimsby 4659 with a certain Clive Mendonca as top scorer
    Luton 7364!!
    Barnsley 6726
    Oxford 6976 Yes they were a league club then....for the youngsters....
    Birstol Rovers 6472
    Cambridge Utd 5056 yep they were a league club too....
    Derby County 15927

How things change eh? Yep we have taken things for granted....I can remember being thrilled when we got into the 10,000 mark......
  • Options
    That's really interesting Tel.

So in 92, we were averaging less than clubs like Bristol Rovers, Oxfors, Barnsley, Luton, Peterborough, Brentford, Notts County and Millwall, and marginally above Cambridge United.

Yet 16 years on and tomorrow will be our 145th consecutive 20k plus crowd.....

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Thats why Im so proud of what we have achieved mate.....I grew up on crowds of less than 6-7000 average, I think its harder for the younger generation to get their head around what it used to be like as a Charlton fan pre 1998....thats why it galls me when you read people moaning so much on the OS.

A few other clubs have done well since then...notably Brum and the Spammers
  • Options
    It really puts things in perspective.
  • Options
    Just got back from The Valley , less than 80 tickets left in home areas.
  • Options
    class
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]It's doubtful that Watford will sell out their end - they have sold about 2,400 to date and will probably get up towards 3,000. Of course if home areas are sold out there may be some "neutrals" behind that goal.

We do have about 1,000 paying schools and football clubs on Saturday, mostly coming by coach. Otherwise Valley Express is doing as well as it did for Palace off a lower individual sales base, which suggests as you'd expect that people living further away are less able to come to evening kick-offs. Although we will have had more local fans for Palace, it was probably the travelling contingent who caused the shortfall in the gate and if the game had been played on a Saturday or Sunday it would probably have sold out.

Or started at 8.00?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]

Because the Palace rivalry thing is exaggerated. People seem to have to have a club to hate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]It's doubtful that Watford will sell out their end - they have sold about 2,400 to date and will probably get up towards 3,000. Of course if home areas are sold out there may be some "neutrals" behind that goal.

Interested in this point who's payin.I know of 5 different schools in Orpington who aint paid for them, my daughters school had 30 tickets (not paid for) another 2 schools 100 between them (not paid for).Surely there are smaller games to do this offer when seats wont be paid for,but airman if these seats have truthfully been paid for please tell me by whom.It isn't the individual schools.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You're talking about two different things. The 1,000 paid tickets have gone to schools and junior football teams in East Sussex, Kent and Essex. They pay the same as any other U18s attending the match plus the £5 coach fare and they usually commit to come months in advance.

It is true that we have targeted a sample of Bromley primary schools with free tickets for Watford (as Greenwich, Bexley and NWK have also had for other games). We do this occasionally to encourage new support from the local area and also to avoid big blocks of empty seats, which looked likely for Watford before the Palace match, based on sales at that point and all the evidence from the season to date. With hindsight we overdid it this time, but it is still the case that the home areas haven't actually sold out in advance of the matchday.

The real concern tomorrow will be if there are empty seats in the Jimmy Seed Stand and that is being addressed for West Brom.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The Bromley Schools tickets were sanpped up in 4 hours.

There was a waiting list at my son's school in case anyone dropped out and they are keen to do it again even if we charge next time.