Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chinese Take (some players) Away

WSSWSS
edited February 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32002&newstype=n

Charlton have announced a partnership with Chinese Super League side Shandong Luneng - the club that sold Zheng Zhi to the Addicks.

The deal was officially signed before the Watford game on Saturday and will provide commercial and playing benefits for both sides.

Charlton will tour China again in the next three years but the return to the Far East is just one aspect of the overseas agreement between the two clubs.

Charlton chief executive Peter Varney explained: "Starting next month, and for the next three years, we intend to work closely with Shandong Luneng for the benefit of both clubs.

"We have developed a close relationship ever since ZiZi first came to the club on loan in December 2006, and that was strengthened when we negotiated his transfer last summer."

Shandong's academy is regarded as the best in their country, while the first team won the Chinese Super League and cup competition in 2006, and also reached the quarter-finals of the 2007 Asian Champions League.

"There are a number of elements to the deal," said Peter. "At youth level, we'll be looking to co-operate wherever possible, and there will be a series of playing and coaching exchanges.

"We have been invited to enter a team in the China Weifang International Tournament, and although Shandong feel they have a good academy, they are open to other ideas and are keen for us to devise a management model to potentially improve how it is structured.

"We will explain how we do things, invite representatives across to look for themselves and also send club officials to China to provide demonstrations."

Shandong play in Jinan, which is the capital of the Shandong province of China, and their 43,700-capacity stadium could host a friendly against the Addicks. Charlton last played in China in 2004.

"A number of commercial spin-offs, including a first-team tour, will take place, and we will pass on our experience regarding sponsorship and increasing commercial revenues," continued Varney. "We are also currently talking to them about the possibility of Charlton matches being shown in China, because there is huge interest in ZiZi.

"This is extremely complicated in The Football League, however, due to existing broadcast arrangements, and we are trying to work our way through the problems."

Having first arrived at the club under former head coach Les Reed, midfield star Zheng has blossomed under current boss Alan Pardew, and has already netted nine times this term.

Indeed, the collaboration includes a formula for other potential transfers between the clubs, and Varney said: "Not only will we have first call on Shandong's players, we will also have access to their scouting department.

"They will keep us in touch with the scouting situation in China, plus Asia, thanks to their regular involvement with the continent's best sides in the Asian Champions League."

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Here are two of their youth team showing their delight on hearing the news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2rZxCrb7iU
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's amazing. Only last week Pete Tong was asking why we hadn't investigated the Chinese market. : - )

So last week we had some Chinese reps over as well as the Ivorian boys. Typical week down at the Valley!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Great work Pete, your club owes you one. Any more suggestions?
  • Options
    "We are also currently talking to them about the possibility of Charlton matches being shown in China, because there is huge interest in Zizi (Zheng).

Hey, overseas exiles and others.

Back to the good old days of watching Chinese satellite live matches on the net. :o)
  • Options
    I wonder if it will be as successful as our link up with Inter Milan a few years back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I wonder if it will be as successful as our link up with Inter Milan a few years back?

re: Inter.

Did we get anything at all? I remember two youth players going over there (can´t remember who), and I was sure we would get first offer on Robbie Keane when he wanted off. But, they screwed us. Bstards. i even got fooled into buying of of those blue and red intercharlton scarfs.
  • Options
    This news has confirmed on Chinese website

http://sports.sina.com.cn/g/2008-02-19/08223480688.shtml
  • Options
    And wasn't there a tie up with Valencia via Llanera. Now presumably less of a tie up more of a tits up?!!
  • Options
    great news! hope more and more chinese players come to england.
    There are a lot of good young players in Shandong team.
    especially one named Haibin Zhou, who is quit like ZZ. He is almost the most excellent one in Chinese Olympic Football team, also in Chinese National team. His position is defending midfielder. I think his long pass is better than ZZ, also his long shot, although on the whole, maybe he is not as good as ZZ. He just finished a nice long shot again two days ago against South Korea. Here is the video http://teamchina.sports.sohu.com/20080217/n255199790.shtml .He is also good at dribbling too.The crucial is he is still young though not very young. Born in 1985. Any way, at least in China, he is very outstanding. I believe he will go abroad to play sooner or later. I really hope he can come to Charlton too one day since Charlton and Shandong established new cooperation relationship just now.
    I think it's a win-win cooperation. Chinese football players can have more chances to enter the advanced football environment to improve themself. What's more, hope this can help to improve the holistic level of chinese football.
    While Charlton will benefit a lot too.As football is becoming increasingly popular in china, I believe there will be more and more good players because of the increasing huge football population base.And Luneng is one of the best team in china. So Charlton has more opportunities to choose whom he likes from the top players of china. Second, Charlton will benefit a lot financially. Take Houston for example, they are not a rich club before Yao Ming's entry. But now their income increased sharply. Now they have more money to buy players they like. Frankly, Charlton is not very rich at present. (I appologize if this sentence hurts anybody). But I believe, years later, you will have more money to buy more better players, not only from china.
    So let's cheer for this cooperation.
  • Options
    he just copied and pasted that from addickted.net
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]"We are also currently talking to them about the possibility of Charlton matches being shown in China, because there is huge interest in Zizi (Zheng).

Should be sorted just in time for his transfer! Cynic me?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: matt896[/cite]he just copied and pasted that from addickted.net

Or just maybe it's the same person posting the same thing on two different sites.
  • Options
    i was looking more to getting dosh off Chinese companies more than a tie in with a club. Though as a character on the fast show said 'thats nice'.

Any more ideas I still think putting the 2nd tier on the east stand bringing it up to 31k get the yids in for two season Charlton 1. Would have the extension payed for by the yids 1st year rent money and a profit on the 2nd year money.
  • Options
    With Inter their whole management team changed and then we got promoted meaning that the new coach and director of football didn't know much about it and that as a Premier side they had fewer players that would suit us.

In hindsight it was a good thing as it meant that the club took a different approach as you can see with ASEC and now SLFC.

As far as I know the relationship with Valencia continues despite llanera going under but they have just changed manager and President as well. Peter Varney and Alan Pardew were due to meet them early in the new year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]i was looking more to getting dosh off Chinese companies more than a tie in with a club. Though as a character on the fast show said 'thats nice'.

Any more ideas I still think putting the 2nd tier on the east stand bringing it up to 31k get the yids in for two season Charlton 1. Would have the extension payed for by the yids 1st year rent money and a profit on the 2nd year money.

Spurs sell out 36k every home league game. Why would they want to share a 27k staduim on the other side of London when Upton park, Arsenal and Wembley are all bigger and easier to reach?
  • Options
    Putting the extention on would bring it upto 31k. Upton Park the fans dont want to share there, Arsenal no goer spurs fans dont want to go there and i guess arsenal fans dont want to go there. Wembley no other club is going to use it i understand.

I dont think Spurs has more than 25 season ticket holders ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]I dont think Spurs has more than 25 season ticket holders ?
    Blimey.

Your support is f*cking sh*t
  • Options
    White Hart Lane is to be turned around and will result in a 60k stadium.

When they have to share, it will be at Wembley, Stamford Bridge or Upton Park.
  • Options
    I doubt it'll be Wembley, more likely Upton Park or potentially the Olympic Stadium if Spurs don't get the work started soon.
  • Options
    Pete,

So do Spurs have to wait until we've built our extension before they move in? If so what's going to pay for the build as we can't charge them rent until they do move in.

And that is assuming that the rent we could charge for two seasons would cover the costs. If the proposed rent for Selhurst is £1.2m then let's say £2m a year for a much better Valley. So £4m over two years. Nice money but only a fraction of what it would cost to build the east.

West Ham or Arsenal fans may not want Spurs but since when have the views of fans counted for anything when ££££££££ are being discussed (other than at Charlton of course)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    West Ham fans reckon the rent is going to be between 5 - 10 million per season.
  • Options
    Well that is a hell of a big "between" for a bigger stadium with more boxes etc, etc. Sounds to me like some West Ham fans have a wild guess on a message board.

But assuming that £5m a year is correct please tell me why Spurs would choose the Valley over Upton Park.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving
    But assuming that £5m a year is correct please tell me why Spurs would choose the Valley over Upton Park.

They usually win at The Valley.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving
    But assuming that £5m a year is correct please tell me why Spurs would choose the Valley over Upton Park.[/cite]
    [cite]

They usually win at The Valley.[/cite]

Well we've won the last three at Selhurst Park so are you suggesting...... : -)
  • Options
    It's like the 'seven degrees of separation'. Whatever you start off talking about sooner or later you end up at the fact that Palace are sh!t!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]It's like the 'seven degrees of separation'. Whatever you start off talking about sooner or later you end up at the fact that Palace are sh!t!

It is a universal truth.