Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

what pleases/ annoys me is

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
that im sure if we started the season with this team we would have easily won the champship. its taken pards a season or so with a ton of disruptions to build a side that plays his way. my only fear is that if we dont get promo'd we will lose some key figures - youga, halford, (possibly cook). our full backs have been the key to our play and a joy to watch.

Comments

• Options
    Take your point Balham but I guess that's the problem with such a big rebuilding job - it takes you a while to settle on what your best team is.

I think we were also unsettled by injuries and put undue focus on playing through Reid (don't get me wrong he was very very good but this tactic made us very one dimensional) early in the season.

I think Pards is close now, for me there's still 2 or 3 positions I'm not sure about but I'm confident that if we can keep the bulk of this squad together (the key thing being to keep the real quality players) then the consistency will come with it and we'll start to dig in and get those results away at Scunthorpe and Sheff Wed and the younger players will improve with prolonged runs in the team (such as we've seen with Youga and Bougherra).

Unfortunately I think we've left getting the right balance together a bit late to make automatic promotion this season (unless we have one hell of a run in!) but if we're in the play offs then we have as good a chance as anyone as on our day we're about the best team in this division (possibly WBA aside).
  • Options
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    After a few games I thought Sam and Moutouakil were gonna tear teams apart on the right.
    And that McCarthy and Boughera were gonna be sent on loan to Dartford.
  • Options
    If Cory Gibbs was fit we'd be 10 points clear!
  • Options
    If corey gibbs was fit we d all have fainted.:)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite ]

I think Pards is close now, for me there's still 2 or 3 positions I'm not sure about

What positions are they?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red Jnr[/cite]

I think Pards is close now, for me there's still 2 or 3 positions I'm not sure about[/cite]
    [cite]

What positions are they?[/cite]

Finding the right centre back combination out of McCarthy, Fortune, Sodje and Bougherra.

Also what to do with the right/left flanks Thomas and Sam have generally started, but Ambrose and latterly Cook have played also there and again no one combination looks perfect.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ok, I think we already have our two cente backs Paddy and Magic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red Jnr[/cite]

I think Pards is close now, for me there's still 2 or 3 positions I'm not sure about[/cite]
    [cite]

What positions are they?[/cite]

Principally the wingers - Sam I don't think is quite up to the job and Ambrose is too inconsistent.

I've also got a slight question marks over what our best forward and centre half pairings are - Paddy and Bougherra were really winning me over so that may settle that one. Varney and Gray I'm not so sure about, I like both players - Varney especially - but with Gray playing quite deep and Varney drifting wide I wonder if, as a combination, they give us enough goal threat....
  • Options
    Thing is about the fowards is that it doesn't seem that there will be another change because Pards only ever brings big Chris on with 10 minutes to go, so we may not know if Mcleod and Gray would work or not.