Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shock Result in Bromley Pairs Quiz

edited February 2008 in General Charlton
The years of Hayes brothers domination finally came to an when new pair Stuart and Dan from Welling beat Alex and Ben by 81 to 77 points (out of 100) in the 4th Bromley Addicks Pairs quiz. Well done to them.

The pair will be presented with their engraved trophy at the Bromley Addicks members only meeting at the end of the season.

A third Hayes brother, Danny, was pushed into 4th place alongside Mastermind Alex Wright by the famous pairing of Ollie and Seb.

Thanks to Ian Wallis for a good set of questions which included how to spell Magic's full name, Who was Charlton's heaviest Manager, which Director was caretaker manager for a week in 1956, which players were booked in the 98 Play off final and which Black 80s midfield player had a brother who performed in west end musicals.

Comments

• Options
    Was Mickey Bennett's brother Lennie ???
  • Options
    No and it wasn't micky Bennett : - )
  • Options
    hahaha that must have hurt Hayes. Being beaten at home as well - sack the manager , useless
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]hahaha that must have hurt Hayes. Being beaten at home as well - sack the manager , useless[/quote]

It's a blip. Of course we're disappointed but we'll come back stronger than ever. We've got a good spirit in the changing room, the players are totally behind the boss and we know we can do better.

: - )
  • Options
    I think the Hayes Group will now need to adjust to failure and sell their best player. I start the bidding at £1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]I think the Hayes Group will now need to adjust to failure and sell their best player. I start the bidding at £1.

We're not selling anyone. We want to keep the squad together and make a real challenge next year.

PS £5 and he's yours
  • Options
    Mmmmmm £5. I need to speak to some of my Middle East Consortium colleagues before I can commit to that level of capital. I think the medical could be the problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Good set of questions ranging from the simple; 'Who was top scorer last season' to the almost impossible ' who was the leading scorer in the 1938-39 season.

Liked the spelling round. Not many got Mootoo's name correct and Magic's name was a also challenge.

Good stuff from Stuart and Dan
  • Options
    Any chance of seeing the full 100 questions - would appreciate the chance to see if I am a fan ....or just a plastic
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Any chance of seeing the full 100 questions - would appreciate the chance to see if I am a fan ....or just a plastic

I'll try to get a copy but they were all hand written so would have to type them up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had to pull a sickie last night otherwise you would have dropped into third place Henry.

George Tadman was the top goalscorer

Did Stanley Gliksten take over as manager before they installed Jimmy Trotter?

Kinsella, Mendonca and Rufus were all booked in the first half
  • Options
    Was the midfielder Phil Walker? No idea who his brother was though.
  • Options
    Very good Addickted but it's easy in front of a keyboard. It's can you cope when the pressure is on at the Bickley and Widmore Crucible : - )

All correct apart from the Director. It was David Clark which we got right.

We had no idea who'd been booked. Don't remember there being any.

Phil's brother - I have no idea. We guessed it was him but I'm not a fan of musicals.
  • Options
    Or Millwall. I remember when we signed Phil Walker from the Spanners.
  • Options
    And don't forget, Leroy Ambrose .....wasn't he our first black player?
  • Options
    Im sure Walker was before Leroy and there was a chap in the early 70z who came through the yoofs played for england school boys etc im sure he made his debut. There was also a centre back who we got on loan, Stan something which would have been in the early Theo years or very late Firmani years
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited February 2008
    I don't mean to start a argument or row or anything, but what was the reaction of Charlton fans to our own first black players. I know times and views were very different back in the day but i'd still be interested.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I don't mean to start a argument or row or anything, but what was the reaction of Charlton fans to our own first black players. I know times and views were very different back in the day but i'd still be interested.

I don't go as far back as Leroy Ambrose, but I remember being in the Clock End at Highbury when Garth Crooks was warming up to come on as sub and hearing people around me refer to him as the "nigger".
  • Options
    From what I remember they were generally well received

I seem to remember SOME people chanting "Seig Heil, Seig Heil, sorry Phil" which at least meant that that realised that nazi salutes might just be found offensive by our own Black players such as Phil Walker.
  • Options
    I'm sure I remember a game at Leicester in the 70s, when Phil Walker scored & was booed by a sizeable minority of the Charlton support. Absolutely shocking behaviour.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    better than some worse than others. Its not that long ago that it was exceptable to have a programs like The Black and White Minstrals, Love My Neighbor, Till Death do us Part, and the childrens nursery thingy 10 little ********* boys.
  • Options
    Are Sooty and Sweep still on telly? ;-)
  • Options
    A special mention must go to the one man team called "Where's Vince ?" who came 7th by about 5 points.

Falling away in the second half after only being 4 or was that 6 points behind Alex Wright and the other Hayes brother at half time.

Help was provided by the young bar man who answered just one question which he got wrong.

But then as he admitted later he didn't really follow football let alone Charlton.

Thanks to Ian fo some great qusetions and well done to Stuart & Dan

Tone - Valiant in defeat !!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks to everyone who made myself and Danny welcome last night.

It was a very good night, with some very hard questions that had the old brain matter ticking over.

Looking forward to the end of the season to collect the trophy, and defending the title next year.

All the best and thanks to Ian for taking time out to do the questions.

Stuart
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Thanks to everyone who made myself and Danny welcome last night.

It was a very good night, with some very hard questions that had the old brain matter ticking over.

Looking forward to the end of the season to collect the trophy, and defending the title next year.

All the best and thanks to Ian for taking time out to do the questions.

Stuart

Was good to meet you both. You should have said you were a Charlton Lifer.

See you at the meeting.