Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 28th Feb 1975. Charlton 2 Gillingham 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    MIke Kelly stabbed by his girl friend I believe , I also remember him scoring the equaliser at the goldstone ground. The Pitch was under water , how it was played was amazing, but we got a well earned point , The Gills game was great , harry cripps scored a header to equalise and send the covered end berserk , one of a string of great friday night games.
  • Options

MIke Kelly stabbed by his girl friend I believe , I also remember him scoring the equaliser at the goldstone ground. The Pitch was under water , how it was played was amazing, but we got a well earned point , The Gills game was great , harry cripps scored a header to equalise and send the covered end berserk , one of a string of great friday night games.

Ah Brighton away, stood on the terrace on the side, got an absolute soaking, a really good turnout in the away end to our left.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Shipps wasn't noted for his finesse but he lurched around the pitch about twice the size of any other player.

My stand out moment of him was in a just before Easter 1972 Division 2 match home to Orient, where Big Dave hit a long backpass almost from the half way line. It caught in the wind and looped high and down into the back of our net.

One of the own goals of the century.

We were relatively comfortably esconced in lower mid-table - but after Shipps glorious og, we lost
    that Orient match 2-1 and never won another match all season, culminating in that
    dreadful spineless 5-0 collapse at Blackpool in the last match of the season.

You would never have predicted relegation for Charlton, in the middle of March that year.

I remember that OG by Shipperley from the half way line.

I remember Mick Kelly scoring the equaliser in the mud at Brighton away & him scoring v Port Vale, although can't really remember the goals as such.

I remember the Friday night game v Gillingham. Really exciting as a kid, to be in a 18,000 crowd, when you've been used to 4/5000.

Can't remember much about this season though :smiley:

• Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/11067416545

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Options
    I have a memory of Kelly picking up an opponent and throwing him to the ground. He wasn't sent off, but may have been booked.
  • Options
    Mike Kelly was a big unit in a midfield of short players like Peter Hunt and Keith Peacock - handy to have a player tall and strong in central midfield.

I seem to remember he patrolled the centre circle, without much pace but could win the ball in the air and on the floor - and find a team mate with a pass.

Kept it simple - and did the simple stuff really well.

• Options
    I'm told this was my debut at the valley, on the east.