Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sam Sodje

Man of the Match by a million million miles today, not a foot put wrong all day, won every single header, scored a towering header from the corner and celebrated with us as if we'd won the cup. One of us... sign him on!

Well done the lad.

Shame Pards persisted with fortune for the last few games when the Sodj was fit... how many points was that thrown away?

Comments

• Options
    I doubt we'll be seeing Fortune again once Madjid gets fit. Agree about Sodje, he's a loveable player isn't he? So enthusiastic.
  • Options
    honestly ormiston, call me a mug but thomas could score a hat-trick and you wouldn't be too fussed about him (and nor would i)

there's nothing like the feeling a player is one of "yours" the way you get with Holland, McCarthy and Sodje to name a few
  • Options
    i take it u were there, does zizi need a rest or was it just a bad game???
  • Options
    indeed i was matt

to be honest zizi has had a shocker for a while now (scunthorpe, shef W, blackpool the worst and then today)

i think i'd give the boy a little break asap, he just can't pass water at the moment and it's a shame as he's got so much there
  • Options
    How did all the others do ISawSeeSawontheSeaShore ??

Was it comfortable and we always looked a class above, or a gritty solid away performance, doing what we had to do ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Shame Pards persisted with fortune for the last few games when the Sodj was fit... how many points was that thrown away?

Too many
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]How did all the others do ISawSeeSawontheSeaShore ??

Was it comfortable and we always looked a class above, or a gritty solid away performance, doing what we had to do ?

I would say leaning towards the gritty solid away performance until our second. Our class above then showed.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I like Sodje a lot, but saying we wouldn't have shipped 5 last week cause he was missing is a tad silly, would he have stop Halford doing what he did for example?
  • Options
    How was Paddy today? I felt that Magic and Paddy a week or two back really looked class together. What you get with Magic is excellent ball distribution. Sodje though is a header magnet and in certain games he really comes into his own. Personally I like Fortune but he plays better along side a big decisive partner .

When I think back to some of the donkeys we have had over the years, I think we have four centre backs that are pretty good.
  • Options
    paddy played well today, looks like he cares, unlike some, particularly good to see him waving quinn off as he was heading for the tunnel. Youga had a good game and looks better the more first team experience he gets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2008
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I like Sodje a lot, but saying we wouldn't have shipped 5 last week cause he was missing is a tad silly, would he have stop Halford doing what he did for example?

how would you know ? you weren't there!

now if you sorted thatt driving license out you inconsiderate git
  • Options
    Paddy was as committed and solid as ever, commanding at the back, not a lot wrong and had a nice clap at the away fans at the end

afka - i'd say it was a gritty, steely performance all through, we didn't have to do a lot in all honesty but what we did we did well

In response to rothko, sodje might not have made much of an influence on halford's individual error last week but if the back four get any of the turbulence that i feel seeing fortune out there and not a commanding and dominating centre half i can understand them going AWOL.

boy can sodje jump. and boy can halford throw a ball. Jesus H.
  • Options
    Sounds like we are back on track again. I take back all my criticsim of McCarthy from early season...the man is a colossus and has a huge heart. I really like Sodje, but still think Boogie and McCarthy would be first choice for me. Good on Halford for rising to Pards criticism, and Youga got a lot of mentions on the radio today...a hidden gem. Lets get on with it now....bugger what the others do, lets concentrate on getting as many points on the board as possible.

Sinclair sounded like he had a quiet debut....any comments from you guys who went?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]and Youga got a lot of mentions on the radio today...a hidden gem

C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T... N-O-W
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Sinclair sounded like he had a quiet debut....any comments from you guys who went?

Very quiet, had horrendously coloured boots on, and offered very little but only had a few minutes so no real comments other than he was a bit left out of the run of play
  • Options
    Thanks mate, its always helpful to get an "on the ground report"....sounded quiet from the radio commentary...trouble will be he has a big reputation for such a young lad...hopefully people will give him time to adjust to our style...they mentioned the boots on the radio...Thatch offered to buy him some new ones before kick off...
    :-)
  • Options
    could have a whole thread on sinclair's boots alone Tel

they weren't orange

they weren't yellow

they weren't red

they weren't pretty

what happened to black and white eh?! especially for a young'un!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tel-in-Oz[/cite]Sounds like we are back on track again. I take back all my criticsim of McCarthy from early season...the man is a colossus and has a huge heart. I really like Sodje, but still think Boogie and McCarthy would be first choice for me. Good on Halford for rising to Pards criticism, and Youga got a lot of mentions on the radio today...a hidden gem. Lets get on with it now....bugger what the others do, lets concentrate on getting as many points on the board as possible.

Sinclair sounded like he had a quiet debut....any comments from you guys who went?

What pleases me is that Pards did change things around and it worked. I am confident that we have a strong squad for this Division, we just have to hope that Pards can get the team selection/tactics right now for the run in. What is clear to me is that today was a big bounce back and that's really good. We've been here before with an away win and then looking at two home games to really kick things on and we've faltered. I have a feeling that Pards/the team may have learned from those blips.
  • Options
    you still wouldn't have got me to Sheffield, horrible place.
  • Options
    not wrong R!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]you still wouldn't have got me to Sheffield, horrible place.
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]not wrong R!

Sheffield ain't that bad given that I lived in Worksop for years. Worksop makes 1980's Trashford (I have lived there as well) look like a decent place. However I wouldn't recommend living on the manor, parson cross or pitsmoor estates.
  • Options
    Sodje & Paddy were excellent today. Sodje dominated Beattie in the air to such an extent that he barely won a header all game & was substituted 25 minutes before the end. Ambrose was involved in both goals (again) & Matty scrapped SO hard in central midfield; a typical captain's performance. ZZ struggled to have any impact at all & looks like he needs a rest. Thomas actually showed an appetite for helping out in defence today (well, there's got to be a first time I guess). Varney played wide right & did a decent job. Struggled a litle with the defensive requirement of a wide man. Big Chris was excellent & gave the Sheffield centre-backs a rough ride throughout. He really does excel up front in a 4-5-1 formation. The two full backs & Weaver all helped to make sure that Sheffield would never score.

Scott Sinclair looked a little "lightweight" during his short spell on the pitch. He gave the ball away horrendously in the right back position & could so easily have gifted Sheffield an equaliser. Not sure he has a lot of strength, but obviously has pace. Let's wait & see before delivering any verdict. MOTM has to be Sodje. Good to see his reaction to his goal & at the final whistle. He actually came over the hoardings to give the fans a hug at the end.

Decent turnout as well. Good day, but you have to say that Sheffield Utd were very, very poor. Let's see if we can repeat that performance against Bristol City on Tuesday.
  • Options
    good write up Red Pete, thanks for that.

Maybe with ZZ we are seeing the impact now of the run of games and flights he put in a month ago ?
  • Options
    Nice report Pete, thanks mate
  • Options
    I see that apart from the keeper the unused subs were Fortune & Cookie
  • Options
    I'm sure ZZ was man of the match in the report I read....? The Times?

I wasn't there so can't comment. not sure that sodje would have helped at blackpool. there were 11 players not doing their bit up there, can't single out 1 or 2 for individual mistakes, when we'd have needed to substitute the whole team to get a result. even if he'd have been on his game, everyone else would still have been shocking.
  • Options
    Sunday Times said ZZ was man of the match in the caption underneath a big picture!

maybe they just wanted to shift a few copies of the international edition in China..