Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards hails players

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
""We strengthened up the side today with all the physical attributes this division sometimes needs and I thought that worked well for us.

"Sodje and Chris were very, very strong at both ends of the pitch and I thought we got the mixture just about right for an away performance today."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/nationwide1/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/03/01/SOCCER_Sheff_Utd_2nd_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1

Comments

• Options
    4-5-1 is a must away from home, as is the inclusion of Iwelumo and Varney together (as it offers the necessary flexibility to change to 4-4-2 without a sub when it suits)

where this leaves the likes of Gray, Sam and Moo2 for now i don't know

Weaver
    Halford Sodje McCarthy Youga
    Varney Holland ZZ Ambrose Cook
    Iwelumo

and i'd say we won't get beat on the road again for the rest of the season
  • Options
    just 4-4-2 at home though
  • Options
    I was at Scunny and Blackpool but not Sheff Utd. Yeh I know stay away.

But the point I would like to make is do you think that the formation is more important than the performance.

Big Chris in the second half at Blackpool looked to add nothing. Yesterday was different.

So based on the above do we go 442 against Bristol and realign Varney and Ambrose?
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]But the point I would like to make is do you think that the formation is more important than the performance.
    The result is more important than both of those. So whatever decides us getting 3 points should be considered the most important, whether it's performance (like Ipswich at home) or formation/tactics (like yesterday) Pards needs to decide which is going to be most effective against Brizzle City and the rest of the teams this year. If he and the players get it right we'll get promoted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Imissthepeanutman[/cite]But the point I would like to make is do you think that the formation is more important than the performance.
    The result is more important than both of those. So whatever decides us getting 3 points should be considered the most important, whether it's performance (like Ipswich at home) or formation/tactics (like yesterday) Pards needs to decide which is going to be most effective against Brizzle City and the rest of the teams this year. If he and the players get it right we'll get promoted.

So what in your opinion was the main reason we got the result? (Other than we got the goals!!)
  • Options
    I really havent got a clue peanuts (i wasnt at the game) but looking at the goals i think it was probably the formation. I think it frees up ZZ and the two wingers to help out Iwelumo and support him a lot more. I feel with that formqation we are much more likley to have 4/5 players in the box rather than 2/3 with 4-4-2.
  • Options
    I havent got a clue either and I wasnt at the game.

My son was and he said McCarthy had a good game. Pardew was pleased with Sodje and Halford and I presume Youga put in a good shift. So already you have a different performance from a different back four (as opposed to that against Blackpool).

Ambrose has made it clear he likes playing in that role behind Iwelumo. The downside is that it doesnt suit Varney so much.

I am not a tactician but I do think it helps to have a settled side and a formation that the players understand and know what they are doing. From that perspective I dont really like the idea of changing too much from week to week except that you need to adapt to the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.

Cant wait for Tuesday night. I have faith that Pardew will get the strategy right and that the players and fans put in the performance.
  • Options
    Surely we should play the best tactical formation we can to win the game? That may mean 4-4-2 at home and 4-5-1 away but it should be about setting the team up to win. The ability for tactical switching during a game is just as important and a lesson which hopefully has been learnt after the the Sheff Wed and Watford games. What looks good to me is the Ambrose is coming into some form. I was surprised that he played Thomas yesterday but maybe he's got the message at last with Cook and Sinclair breathing down his neck.

Roll on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Thomas!!!

Bit much that you have to take on 3 peoples wages to get the effort out of 1.

Whats the position on Sam? Is he injured/ill/ or out of favour?

Also is Gray simply dropped? I understood there may have been personal reasons behind his withdrawal at Blackpool but this may have been gossip. Anyone know whats going on with these 2.
  • Options
    Not gossip about Gray. Pards was quoted in last Sunday's Express that he had personal problems the week before Blackppol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What kind of personal problems,sometimes I have personal problems but I still have to go to work.
  • Options
    not being rude and i hope his problems aren't bad but why are we signing players with 'issues' that are gonna affect them playing or not so soon after signing..... personally i think he'll come good for us , eventually
  • Options
    Issue
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]not being rude and i hope his problems aren't bad but why are we signing players with 'issues' that are gonna affect them playing or not so soon after signing..... personally i think he'll come good for us , eventually

What a crass comment. You dont know what the 'issues' are so how do you know he had them when he signed???????
  • Options
    the words wrong, bed and side spring to mind this morning Brunello ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]the words wrong, bed and side spring to mind this morning Brunello ;-)

Not at all, in fact really up after Saturday and really looking forward to Tuesday. I happen to know what the 'issue' is and that comment is out of order.
  • Options
    obviously his personal problems are more important than a game of foootball and are not up for open discussion but i meant to infer when i said 'not being rude' that i hope they aren't long term issues , that makes no sense but i'm sure you know where i'm coming from even if my wording was poor...sorry;-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]obviously his personal problems are more important than a game of foootball and are not up for open discussion but i meant to infer when i said 'not being rude' that i hope they aren't long term issues , that makes no sense but i'm sure you know where i'm coming from even if my wording was poor...sorry;-(

Nice one. You just seemed to infer that any problem had been around for a while and Charlton signed a player with baggage when neither are true. Lets all start again and look forward to tomorrow and another three points.