Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Newcastle

Comments

• Options
    I see Amanda Stavelys grinning chops all over the papers,where does she fit into this and how much has she invested,or is she just hanging on to some coat tails.
  • Options
    I think people are getting very carried away with this deal.

The Saudis have a lot of money, that’s true, but that doesn’t mean they are going to spend it at Newcastle.

They are competing with some other massive clubs for players and money is not the only thing that players think about.

Secondly, we have to see how the Saudi’s run the show, the Saudi culture is very much based on “He that has the gold makes the rules” and I think they will be very hands on and as we have seen at our place that’s not a good idea.
    There's no way they're here just to take part, they'll be spending a fortune.

Success won't come quickly because they're currently shit and obviously have to gradually build a squad and the really big players won't go there yet. Initially i think they'll look at solid players from clubs like Wolves (Coady, Neves, Traore), Watford (Sarr), Brentford (Toney, Mbeumo), Palace (Zaha) and then try to pay over the odds to get players not really wanted by the big clubs, the likes of Loftus-Cheek, Conor Gallagher, Lingard, van de Beek, Oxlade-Chamberlain. They could probably get a couple of Barcelona players on the cheap as well. They'll also be able to go for decent players from clubs like Ajax, Lyon etc who can't turn down the money.

A side like Villa have progressed quite well with some good signings over the past couple of years, and you'd expect Newcastle will spend a lot more than them. I'd hazard a guess that by around 2024-25 they'll be serious top 4 contenders.
  • Options
    I might be wrong but I am sure I saw one of those celebrating Geordies wearing an MBS face mask. 
  • Options
    People celebrating a man that has ordered assassinations and committed several war crimes over the past 20 years. 

But they'll be able to buy Coutinho so who cares right? 
  • Options
    Can someone remind me what Amanda Stavely has to do with us please? I know she's been mentioned a few times in past
  • Options
    The best thing about this is that it will sound  really cool when I tell people that I saw Charlton come back from 3-0 down to win 4-3 at Newcastle.

I loved that game. Was up there with a Geordie mate for a weekend and got the rammed bus back out of town with them all after the game. They were absolutely steaming, in every sense of the word and hadn't calmed down by the time we hit the Bigg Market later on. Happy days. 

As for this takeover, it's Newcastle after all so I can't help but have a sneaky suspicion it'll still all end tears.
  • Options
    The very best players (until their final payday) will want to play for the best clubs where they can win the big trophies NOW, but below them there are players who'll move just for the money, even if it means an initial step down on the pitch, and you imagine Newcastle will sign a couple of those types initially
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Can someone remind me what Amanda Stavely has to do with us please? I know she's been mentioned a few times in past
    Isnt she the broker who introduced the Saudis to Newcastle and I presume us?
  • Options
    The very best players (until their final payday) will want to play for the best clubs where they can win the big trophies NOW, but below them there are players who'll move just for the money, even if it means an initial step down on the pitch, and you imagine Newcastle will sign a couple of those types initially
    PWR. People seem to be overlooking one major factor. This is Newcastle. It was already a big club. If it couldn’t win anything before it isn’t going to win anything going forward just by having extremely rich owners. All that’s going to happen is it’s going to end up with a squad of player’s that cost a fortune to sign and another fortune to pay their wages and they will continue to fuck things up the Newcastle way. It’s not the club, it’s the location and the catchment area of its fans. 
  • Options
    PWR. People seem to be overlooking one major factor. This is Newcastle. It was already a big club. If it couldn’t win anything before it isn’t going to win anything going forward just by having extremely rich owners. All that’s going to happen is it’s going to end up with a squad of player’s that cost a fortune to sign and another fortune to pay their wages and they will continue to fuck things up the Newcastle way. It’s not the club, it’s the location and the catchment area of its fans. 
    I suppose the difference is that the Saudis should be able to sell a better dream

After all they'll be the richest club in the world so can pretty much promise the player or manager that top targets can be brought in if the targets are interested - Imagine under Ashley, they maybe could have signed someone like Haaland (what with his release fee), but they'd probably be saying: "Well mate, we're signing you, so we can improve. Unfortunately we cant afford any other superstars so we'll need you to carry us for a few years, if you succeed, we'll be able to sign others like you"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Which is why I said they wouldn't be able to sign the best players, and would instead sign the next level down who are attracted by the money
  • Options
    People wrote the same things about Chelsea and Manchester City. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Isnt she the broker who introduced the Saudis to Newcastle and I presume us?
    I've got a novel idea that could save these billionaires a bit of money, that should stand them in good stead for the future -

- Look around for a Club that you fancy.

- Google said Club and find out who the owner is.

- Get one of your entourage, who you already pay a lot of money to, to look into making contact with potential vendor.

- Make offer. 

These f'ckin brokers are as bad as the agents. Get a proper job ffs

• Options
    edited October 2021
    PWR. I seem to remember around December 2019 saying to my mates "I think that Charlton just became one of the richest clubs in the world". It all seems like a bad dream now.
  • Options
    Which is why I said they wouldn't be able to sign the best players, and would instead sign the next level down who are attracted by the money
    The Robinho's of the world

If they're lucky they'll also find a Vincent Kompany type signing who'll be good enough to keep up
  • Options
    PWR. I seem to remember around December 2019 saying to my mates "I think that Charlton just became one of the richest clubs in the world". It all seems like a bad dream now.
    If it weren't for the scarf taker from down under, who knows what would've been......
  • Options
    There will be plenty of quality world wide with inflated egos, magnetically attracted to inflated salaries. An absolute opportunity to insert squillions of dirty luker into the wash, wack it on a boil wash, and have it come out the other side all clean but smelling of hypocrisy.
  • Options
    People wrote the same things about Chelsea and Manchester City. 
    They probably did. However, the difference is Chelsea was located in city that could attract the best players on its own right, even more so after what Wenger did and achieved at Arsenal. Chelsea had actually been doing quite well on the pitch already before Abramovic’s money came along to bail the business out. ManCity had two big things going for it, what Man Utd had done for Manchester to put that town on the world  football map and a core fan base that had followed it to league one and back and whose expectations incorporated that experience. Newcastle’s catchment area also serves Sunderland so enough said if you are a Charlton fan. It’s an area that likes to celebrate big time before they’ve actually won anything.
  • Options
    Didn't speak when we were getting pilfered, and always thought he was Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    I always thought he was a West Ham fan that played for us, we then sold because we rather have the money to get back to the Valley than go for promotion, then had a good spell at Newcastle. Nothing wrong with a player building an affinity for another club.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    I always thought he was a West Ham fan that played for us, we then sold because we rather have the money to get back to the Valley than go for promotion, then had a good spell at Newcastle. Nothing wrong with a player building an affinity for another club.
    Thought the story was that he went Charlton with his dad?

But either way, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having an affinity with whatever club they like, but still think there have been plenty of ex-players and high profile people with links to Charlton who could've shown a bit more support when the Club was so obviously being taken to the cleaners
  • Options
    Chunes said:

the mercenary type players (so few with a true affiliation to their club), the owners using teams as investments and changing the culture of the club, knowingly or not, the stagnation of the high press brand of football every team is churning out. 

I don’t think it’s just in the Prem , I’d say those words fit wanky Charlton of the last few years, just at a shittier level .
    It’s been true ever since players have been paid.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Ashley now has money to invest in another club, I’m just saying 😂

Charlton fans would never accept being 15th in the Premier most seasons  :#
  • Options
    I see Amanda Stavelys grinning chops all over the papers,where does she fit into this and how much has she invested,or is she just hanging on to some coat tails.
    Think I read somewhere that she will have a 10% stake in the club 
  • Options
    I disagree. They are exactly like Man City were when they got their obscene cash injection, and it wasn't long before that that I was watching them at the League One play-off final.
  • Options
    Worth revisiting that game. 

I like to think we were instrumental in propelling Newcastle to great heights.   After all they sacked Ossie Ardiles within weeks and then employed Kevin Keegan to drive them on to success in the Premier league. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCBkdIyKPP8
    Thanks for posting.

2 immediate thoughts.

1)How empty those terraces were. Guess the myth of 50000 geordies turning up every week is nonsense.

2) As Curbs always says, what a wonderful team of great professionals we had at that time. We owe that team a lot for keeping the club alive during difficult times.