Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

high balls

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
we hit high balls all night long, Brizzle City defenders were very good and ate them up all night.
Where was the midfield football?

Comments

• Options
    Pardew gave up passing football ages back. the problem is unlike Stoke etc he has brought in the wrong type of players to play that type of game. If he chose to go long with Halford (he can only be in the team for his long throws) then why buy light weight wingers, centre halves and forwards?
  • Options
    pardew def got it wrong last night. biggest mistake was not having a centre midfielder on the bench imo it needs to be shelvey he wont last 90 but would have been more effective than zz last night who was dead on his feet.

i wouldnt say he gave passing football up ages ago but it was definatly not used last night although on several occasions he was calling from the sides for pases to be spread wide early the problem being they never got played last night . on 3 occasions we were undone by city for playing it from the back into a midfield that was tired and very leggy and i am sure you have been watching us long enough to know that we play our football through those two players and if they dont have the tempo in their legs then the team can not flow how you wish
  • Options
    Charlton as a club and its fan base have traditionally passed trhrough midfield yes, but I am not so sure from the evidence this season that Pardew believes enough in it to use it in this division. If he did then Semedo would start each game. I just dont see where all the emphasis of bringing in wingers fits with his irritating long ball tactics.
  • Options
    should play

ambrose
    thomas holland sinclair

he looks sooo much better in the middle with semedo on the bench. zizi looked shattered last night.
  • Options
    why would semedo start each game he is a holding midfielder who imo gives the ball away more than any other midfielder we have semedo breaks up play and then gives it to zz or holland and then we play out wide semedo is very rarely in the offence side of our play. he stays whilst zz goes.

you need the wingers to run on to the flicks from gray or iwellumo much like ambrose for the goal the issue last night was not the long ball but the fact there was no option on the bench to change it around. gray and varney scrapping at the end was an issue to gray didnt win one flick when he came on to allow that system to work he was the wrong side of the defender for every throw free kick and corner he may as well have stayed off the pitch. sometimes the most direct route works other times passing works the problem last night was too many players not performing to their best and not the right choices on the bench
  • Options
    your first para (apart from his giving the ball away) is precisely why Semedo should play.

flick ons are no good for wingers, the wingers should be getting the ball on the floor from midfield or via the attackers, so that they can get in crosses that the forwards can meet facing the goal ie so they can head it not flick it from a long ball all the time. then gray would look good
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]pardew def got it wrong last night. biggest mistake was not having a centre midfielder on the bench imo it needs to be shelvey he wont last 90 but would have been more effective than zz last night who was dead on his feet.

with respect Shelvey is 15 and not ready for 1st team football by a long way-
  • Options
    We were clueless and I think we have been for the majority of the games recently. We need to use the ball to better effect, so were not the ones running around.
  • Options
    The midfield needs to make themselves available which they weren't last night.
  • Options
    I've got no problem playing high/long balls if the players actually look where they are kicking the bloody thing. Too many times last night it was booted upfield without even knowing where their team mates were.