Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol City - To be fair...Pretty good

Reading through the comments after the draw with Bristol City I see the usual bunch of negative Pardew has lost it. comments we usually see on here after every game we dont trounce the opposition. City are pretty good and in case you hadn`t noticed with only 11 or so games left they are top of the division. It seems to me that having seen most of the teams now that they are as good as any in the division and we have managed to get four points off them. We don`t have a right to automatic promotion and I expect that most of us would have taken a playoff place at the start of the season. Accept the fact that some teams are going to be better than us on any given day and we can do the same to any other side on our day. Thats football. Thats why we go to watch it. Pardew hasn`t lost it. Hes doing pretty well to be in the playoff spots with a completely new team that is still evolving and in fact has only played 35 games at best together.At best. The team didn`t IMHO deserve the boos at the end of the game. If they hadn`t tried it would be different. We can beat Preston on saturday and the same whinging people on here will be full of it again. To me its so daft.

Comments

• Options
    maybe not the players but Pardew did for his negative tatics after we went 1-0 up.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    I agree SHG - we do not have any right to win every game in this league, we don't have a right to be in the playoffs and we don't have a right to be promoted and as fans i think we have to be realistic about our expectations.

Yes, i do expect us to get promoted this year and yes i have been thoroughly pissed off with a number of performances this year but we are still fifth in the league, the only difference from last night is that WBA increased their lead by two points and we have one less game to catch up (for automatic promotion that is) so cheer up everyone!!

30 points up for grabs - don't think we'll get 30 points but you never know. ;-)
  • Options
    well said

they were the best team we've played at home all season and consistantly caused us problems with their passing, the little fella in the middle with the orange boots was having a field day.

we did o.k in the first half but then god knows what was in their tea at half time.....by the look of Youga in the second half, half a bottle of Scotch ! (both full backs had shockers)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]maybe not the players but Pardew did for his negative tatics after we went 1-0 up.
    Negative tactics Steve or BC just being very good at attacking us and not giving us time on the ball? Maybe they are just better than us?
  • Options
    City were 'pretty good' but you can't hide how poor the quality of signings Pardew has made, especially defensively.

The standard of defending alone is the worst I've seen down there for many a long time.

Even on their corner we have 4 defenders around the guy whose nodded it in.

Normally I'd agree with you and say its people just having a moan but the lack of ability on the ball is shocking. McCarthy can't even bend a ball around a forward to switch play, really basic stuff for a Centre Half.

For the money Pardew has had you can't say he's doing well.
  • Options
    thought they were very good, johnson made a change at ha;lf time and motivated his side for the second half, where as we stuck with the same side for to long, i thought a change should of been made earlier as the right hand side was lacking width.

I thought they were a good side and good luck to them, we need to get a few results together to keep in the play off race, starting sat, we have massive games coming up and the players need to be motivated
  • Options
    I just can`t see why people are slagging Paddy ! He was solid last night as he has been for weeks really.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]City were 'pretty good' but you can't hide how poor the quality of signings Pardew has made, especially defensively.

The standard of defending alone is the worst I've seen down there for many a long time.
    What a load of crap. Out of the top 5 teams we have the best defence with WBA and BC.

Preston, Leceister, Sheff Utd and Sheff Weds have conceded less goals than us - would you prefer to be in their position?

Goals get you out of this league - thats been proven over many years.
  • Options
    From what you saw last night, defensively, you think that was acceptable?
  • Options
    Bristol City were easily the best team we have seen at the Valley this season. Give them credit, they were excellent after the first 10 minutes & passed the ball around quickly & effectively all night. THe scoreline did not do them justice.

Pards changed to 4-4-2 with 30 minutes left & it made absolutely no difference. City's two giant centre halves won virtually everything all night but we just kept lumping it up into the middle. I am not impressed with our lightweight selection of wingers at all. Surely nobody can call Scott Sinclair the next big thing, can they?? Thomas was the best of the bunch but was closely marked all night.

As has been said elsewhere, our two key central midfielders - ZZ & Holland - looked very tired & leggy, and this is where we really need some quality replacements to give these two a break.

We got a very lucky point last night & we are still in the mix for a play-off place, so let's look forward to the game against Preston on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]well said

they were the best team we've played at home all season and consistantly caused us problems with their passing, the little fella in the middle with the orange boots was having a field day.

we did o.k in the first half but then god knows what was in their tea at half time.....by the look of Youga in the second half, half a bottle of Scotch ! (both full backs had shockers)

Can't disagree. City were a good team and you can see why they are, deservedly, top. What is frustrating is that we showed that we had enough to beat them but we can't seem to do it over 90 mins.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH Really feeling P****** off today. We are not playing to anything like our potential IMHO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]From what you saw last night, defensively, you think that was acceptable?
    You didnt answer my question...

The defending at the corner was terrible I agree. What about Paddy's last ditch tackle on Byfield when he was 6 yards out though?
  • Options
    The one that missed our post by 6 inches.

World Class.

The fella cannot make a pass ALONG THE FLOOR over 15 yards for gods sake (add a few others to that as well).

Pardew paid 650K for Paddy.

Brilliant business.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The one that missed our post by 6 inches.

World Class
    No the last ditch lunge that took the ball off of Byfield's toes and went well wide. World Class? No and i don;t expect him or any of our players to be. We're in the Championship not the Champions League.

Was it every pass that he failed to make or just a couple that you conviniently remember? I reckon if you watched Arsenal last night, Senderos or Gallas may have misplaced a couple of passes. I saw Andrea Pirlo even pass it straight to a Arsenal player - imagine that!

We need to stop digging players out who have played well for a lot of this season and have had an off par performance.

Jesus.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Pardew paid 650K for Paddy.

Brilliant business.
    I think Paddy has been one of our better defenders all season. Give the guy a break FFS. £650k is small beer for a decent centre half. We would be really struggling without him.
  • Options
    As much as I am dis-appointed with the result, last night Bristol City 2nd Half performance was the best 45 minutes of football produced by a visiting team at the Valley this season. The fact that we managed to even get a draw out of last night is quite a relief.
  • Options
    Well said WSS. If we wanted to see world class footballers in every position we could go to the emirates !
  • Options
    HE IS NOT DECENT AND WE ARE STRUGGLING!!

Hahaha I'm off to carry Leroy Lita shoulder high from Reading as he is our saviour.

I agree with Ketman too.

"if it moves, sign it"
  • Options
    Thats my whole point Falconwood.........WE ARE FIFTH !!!!!!!!!!!! FFS Stop whinging cos we aint 10 points clear at the top.
  • Options
    We cannot win games 4-0 every week and as i said earlier (you still havent answered my question by the way) there are teams like Preston/Sheff Weds who have conceded less goals than us.

I know where i'd rather be in the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And that my friend *is* a genuine 'kin miracle.

If you think the players we have in our defence (and I include Fortune and Bougherra) are acceptable for the money he's had and for us to get promotion (either automatically / play offs) you are off your trolley.
  • Options
    Yeah off my trolley sounds ok but at least I am happy with being FIFTH in the league. As for teams like Preston / Sheff Wed conceding less goals...thats because they stick more men behind the ball than we do and dont have an attacking outlook but a defensive one. Just look what the league table says...would you swap ?
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I thought BCFC were one of the better sides Id seen at The Valley for a while (hence why theyre top perhaps?!). Full of movement and comfortable playing football as it should be played. Unlike Watford, Stoke et al.

This IMO is the benefit of having a team that by and large and played together for 3/4 seasons, know each others games and importantly each others limitations. GJ (someone I've always rated) has got them well drilled and playing with tactics that they are comfortable with and know inside out.

We have not had the luxury of doing that! We have seen huge numbers of players coming in and going out and I'm sure that AP is still looking to try and work out what his best team is as the players themselves seem to be so inconsistent! Someone comes in, does well for a few games and then either goes utterly off the boil or gets injured!!

You cannot blame AP for this!

All the other teams around us have benefited from having teams that have played together for a long time. To get us to where we are with new and young players is a high achievement in my eyes. Perhaps peoples expectations of what a "new" team could achieve is the reason for their dissatisfaction of only being 5th and 6 points of the automatic places........