Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ten and a half things you never knew about Preston

13»

Comments

• 35d. In Preston market, you can still buy Butter Pies, Tripe. Cowheel and Parched Peas.
  • 35e. Preston North End are likely to lose on Saturday.
  • ...was the surname of my late friend,Nigel,who drummed for The Cult.
  • I note that this thread is '"fun".

Some of the remarks here are puerile, childish and are not worthy of Charlton.

Yes I do have a sense of humour but some of these remarks make me ashamed to be a Lifer.
  • The average chocolate bar bought in Preston has 8 insects' legs in it.

Yes I do have a sense of humour but some of these remarks make me ashamed to be a Lifer.
    Oh dear...

This one in particular.
  • 41. Lancashire Lad lives there
  • Preston used to be called Presstown. There was some confusion over whether it was called Presstown because of the high number of journalists living in the town or whether it was due to the fact that there were a large number of women offering ironing services. The journalists lived in the south of the town and the ironing women lived in the north. The local council of Presstown decided that a football match should take place between the 11 best journalists and the 11 best ironing ladies. In a remarkable match, the ironing ladies won by 2-1. The journalists claimed that the winner was offside and tried to use video evidence to prove their case, but the result stood. The local council decided that it would grant 3 guineas towards the formation of a football team that would be known as Presstown North End. The journalists were furious and went ahead and formed Presstown South End with their own money. However, they were an ill-tempered undiscplined bunch and were known for their foul play. They were nicknamed 'The Hackers' and the term 'hack' is still used to this day. In 1885, the journalists upped sticks and left for London and congregated in Fleet Street. Preston South End was disbanded.