Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Halford's plight sums it all up for me

The most destructive atmosphere in a workplace is when you have a 'blame culture'. I fear that is what we now have at Charlton.

Halford arrived on loan with no confidence and two big transfer fees hanging round his neck - we knew that and Mr P. knew it. He played really well re Palace and looked a class act - remember some of those cross-field passes? That proved he can do a lot more than hoof it. Then we have Blackpool , he commits a howler, and gets publically slated by Mr P. Oh, that's OK, then think the fans, it's fine for us to boo him every time he tries to pass the ball forward then. Cue the disaster of Saturday. Was I the only one to notice that it was Halford who kept the ball in play which led directly to our goal? But we just have to have a scapegoat, don't we, and unfortunately I think that is also Mr P's preferred man management style.

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately Weegie he also made too many errors of judgement and too many mistakes on saturday.
  • Options
    That's exactly the point I'm making, Addickted - if you know someone's confidence is low then heaping more pressure on them is going to make their performance worse not better.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Absolute bollox. Just look at our other full back. His performances have dropped and he's made too many mistakes but nobody has gotten on Yougas back because he still asks for the ball and tries to make things happen. Halford gets some stick and suddenly refuses to make runs, backs off tackles, gets turned by pensioners like Adebola and his distribution consists of lazy hoofs up the line. I can suddenly see why he's been thrown out of so many clubs and the quicker he's moved on from us (f*ck it he's a loaner) the better. The man is a cancer and sums up all thats gone wrong recently.

S.
  • Options
    Halford was crap this week and you can blame Pards for loaning him and for selecting him but I don't think you can blame him for Halford's abject performance. Reading passed him on. Sunderland passed him on. There is a pattern.
  • Options
    I'm not going to stoop to reply to that, SC - well out of order.
  • Options
    Pardew said he singled out Halford after Blackpool to get a reaction from him in the next game. He must have done that based on his judgement of the type of person he saw Halford to be. Halford then had a good game against Sheff Utd so Pardew praised him after the match. That's not making Halford a scapegoat, that's just good man management and realising what will work best for a specific player.

The problem is Halford's performances have dropped again, so Pards either has to drop him or find another way to get his confidence back - personally I'd drop him.
  • Options
    OK Weegie just understand that everyone else has had a chance to vent their spleen since saturday apart from me as my connection has been down. Haven't read much of the post match threads but i'm guessing i'm not the only one to have a monumental problem with the guys performance/workrate/attitude.....he seems a wrongun.

S.
  • Options
    How anybody can single out a player for the crap that was served up on saturday and at Blackpool is beyond me and a bit out of order in my opinion.

They were all terrible.
  • Options
    SC - you'll actually find very few have done much venting - just the usual slanging matches. I had a look last night, but stayed away. Now just trying to get some decent debate/ discussion going. You may be right about Halford, who knows? I read his charcter differently, seeing him as someone who is not very confident, which leads to a downward spiral in his performance if the manager and fans get on his back, but I've no idea what the guy's like really.
  • Options
    I thought Halford was shocking on Saturday but then you could say that about 8 or 9 other players on the pitch. He kept coming infield onto his left foot and then suddenly realising that he doesn't actually have a left foot. Not sure if Pards will give him chance to redeam himself though?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well after Moo2 made the mistake that cost us the goal and the game at Scunthorpe, he was dropped immediately....it wasnt as if he had a really bad game overall. Halford on the other hand is a loanee.....his only really impressive game was against Palace. He had a shocker along with the rest of the team against Blackpool and he wasnt brilliant against City....Saturday was the icing on the cake. What sort of message does that give Moo2 who is our long term right back?

Pards has got it all wrong in my opinion with trying to get loanees in on the crucial run in. The fact that he has played 35 players now this season says it all. Clutching at ever shortening straws...which wont build confidence within the squad
  • Options
    having only seen Halford play twice, these last two games, I thought he was truely shocking. Give me Moo2 any day. Likewise Sinclair. Cook couldn't even make the 16. Three loanees who we didn't really need imo. Pards has brought players in who are no better than the players we actually had for those positions so destroying our own players confidence in the process. Loanees are all well and good but at least make sure they are better than what we have got !!
    I fear that Pards now doesn't even know his favoured 11 and we could miss out of the play-offs as a result.
  • Options
    Weegie you seem a very reasonable bloke and to be fair (something i'm short of today) your points are well made. The main reason Halford got on my goat is that he aimlessly punted it forward more than any other player and in this league with the players we've got that's criminal. It annoyed me even more because in his first game against Palace he showed he had so much to his game. Anyway let's just hope that we've hit rock bottom and that game gives the squad the kick up the ass they need.

S.
  • Options
    I'm not a reasonable bloke, Santa ;-)
  • Options
    Halford used the longball too much but how often was he given any other options? Where was the midfield?
  • Options
    I wish my sons were six foot four and can throw the ball a long way. i could do with the income of a pro footballer!
  • Options
    i think halford is truly frightening. he worries me more than paddy's first couple of games - i almost had to look away on saturday when halford got the ball. i have a nasty feeling there's a reason he's a journeyman.
  • Options
    it's unbelievable how different he is to the player who started against palace, i coudn't believe it was him who turned the palace defence inside out and dragged his shot wide he looked the business that night but omg since then it's been downhill for the lad.... i hope he can pull himself together cos underneath there i'm sure there's a decent player... he needs a pep talk from oggy to get him in the right mindset;-)
  • Options
    After we put the flag away, me and Crispy went into the ground and watched the warm down, and Halford looked like someone who's family had been killed.
  • Options
    didn't realise we could go back in. BUGGER better not tell ledge jr
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]They were all terrible.[/quote]
    Varney was good. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Weegie you seem a very reasonable bloke and to be fair (something i'm short of today) your points are well made. The main reason Halford got on my goat is that he aimlessly punted it forward more than any other player and in this league with the players we've got that's criminal. It annoyed me even more because in his first game against Palace he showed he had so much to his game. Anyway let's just hope that we've hit rock bottom and that game gives the squad the kick up the ass they need.

S.

HaHa

Have a close look at my little picture, Weegie's the one with the long hair
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Weegie you seem a very reasonable bloke and to be fair .

LOL She'll love that
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    weegies a reasonable bloke but an unreasonable woman, she has opinions ffs ;-)
  • Options
    Like it, oohaah!