Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

For those that still play football.......

have only come across this in the past couple of weeks, Not sure if you have come across this or not....

When tossing the coin at the start of the match, what happens when you win the toss ?

i have always been under the impression that you either pick ends or kick off. Last week i was told that when you win you can ONLY pick ends. Was told this again yesterday by the blind old goat of a Ref and that this has been the rule for the past 5 seasons ??? can only find info that backs up my thoughts on the net

Att Hillsy-or is this just the retards refs in our league?????

Comments

• ive always been under the impression that you get the choice. the same thing with if you go to penalties in a cup game. first pen or choose ends. im not sure what the ACTUAL rule is but on sat we had a game and we won the toss n chose what way to kick. i play in west sussex but that shouldnt make a difference.
  • Kent County you only get to pick ends.
  • edited March 2008
    GHE, your 'blind old goat of a Ref ' as you so eloquently put it, is spot on...

Law 8 - The Start and Restart of Play, states:

"A coin is tossed and the team that wins the toss decides which goal
    it will attack in the fi rst half of the match.

The other team takes the kick-off to start the match.

The team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half
    of the match.

In the second half of the match, the teams change ends and attack
    the opposite goals."

The laws of the game are universal, it doesn't matter where you play your football are at what age.

I won't get on the sopabox about how this proves that referees deserve more respect than they usually get, that's for another day :-)
  • it is pick ends only

http://www.thefa.com/NR/rdonlyres/095F9568-466D-4D71-ABF5-C1253A1C28FD/97756/LOTG2006_e.pdf

Under preliminaries
  • According to the FA.com

''A coin is tossed and the team that wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match. The other team takes the kick-off to start the match.

The team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half of the match. In the second half of the match, the teams change ends and attack the opposite goals.''

I always thought you had the choice?
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]I won't get on the sopabox about how this proves that referees deserve more respect than they usually get, that's for another day :-)

couldn't agree more
  • I always thought you had the choice, but would anyone seriously choose to ko / not ko ahead of choosing ends ?

As an aside, The CAT aka Dave Storry pulled off a save yesterday that a Prem pro would of been proud of, and at 52yrs old as well !!
  • he's a fine keeper is ole Dave Storry
  • does Hillsy still play football? Surprised he can move judging by his dancefloor moves on Friday night in Bexleyheath.....
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]does Hillsy still play football?

i think he just stands in the centre circle... covers a lot of ground but he does that standing still ;-)