Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just a Thought

edited March 2008 in General Charlton
Listening to 5Live earlier tonight they were talking to a Plymouth player and he was going on about 7 cup finals left and the biggest prize, promised land, best league in the world etc. He really meant it.
I just wonder if we suffer from having too many players who have experienced the Prem and just don't have the extra bit of hunger to get there.
Now I am not saying any of our players don't want to go up, unlike some of our fans-like me- but to a lot of Plymouth, Stoke and Bristol City players maybe not having played there before gives them an extra edge.
This could be true for the clubs as a whole, the fans, Directors and staff. Maybe the lure of their first Prem season will help them through the business end of the season.
You may think I am talking rubbish but when you hear people talking so passionately. and wanting something so much, you begin to wonder.
Just let me reitterate I am NOT accusing any of our players of not being up for it, hungry etc.

Comments

• Options
    To be honest mate, I think that was a big deciding factor in how long we stayed up for one and for two what kicked us on when we first up (to the premier, not just top tier).
  • Options
    Good post DJ Dave but I think we know the answer to that based on recent results.

Preston, Scunthorpe, Sheffield Weds had something to play for at one end of the table, whilst Bristol City, Burnley and Ipswich had something to play for at the other end.

They all wanted it more.....end of
  • Options
    Add Hull to that list..... Showed some hunger tonight.
  • Options
    i totally agree,some managers just know how to get that little bit extra from very average players.
  • Options
    we are tenth.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]i totally agree,some managers just know how to get that little bit extra from very average players.

We can't even seem to get just a little from above average players :-(
  • Options
    Bryan Hughes, Michael Turner urghhhhhhh !!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]Good post DJ Dave but I think we know the answer to that based on recent results.

Preston, Scunthorpe, Sheffield Weds had something to play for at one end of the table, whilst Bristol City, Burnley and Ipswich had something to play for at the other end.

They all wanted it more.....end of

Did you attend any of those games to know how much they wanted it?
  • Options
    are you saying that they are just not good enough?
  • Options
    think he gets to a fair few,lives in wrexham as well so pretty good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The answer to that is no stu but I listen to reports and read the papers like many others do and most came to the same conclusion.

I don't believe that we can be unlucky every time we lose.
    If we were up for it the only answer can be that we were not good enough to beat these sides.
  • Options
    You can read 129050938572057802347503427543 reports, you can't know how things really went unless you actually see the game, nuff said really.
  • Options
    Threadkiller yes I suppose I am saying that yes, in the second half of the season anyway.

You are only as good as your last result and the results since Christmas has been shocking.

Old boring subject but it has co-incided with selling Reid. Good deal off the pitch bad one on it and im sorry but with 4 loan deals still available to Pardew when Reid went, not using one of them to bring in acentral midfielder has contributed to our downfall.

Ambrose has scored 9 as has ZZ. Reid when he left was on 7 and would have scored maybe 12 to 15 during the season. We have missed those goals especially with the strikers not scoring.
  • Options
    if you read 129050938572057802347503427544 you can know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Reamsofverse[/cite]Old boring subject but it has co-incided with selling Reid. Good deal off the pitch bad one on it and im sorry but with 4 loan deals still available to Pardew when Reid went, not using one of them to bring in acentral midfielder has contributed to our downfall.

Who would you have got in then Mr Reams?

[cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]if you read 129050938572057802347503427544 you can know.

This is what I've been doing wrong, thanks for clearing it up for me ;-)
  • Options
    So give me your take on those games then stu
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Not my job to decide who comes in but Sodje and Cook apart the loans have been poor, and I would not have overstocked on wingers put it that way.

We have got that many employees who can operate on the wing, Airbus are thinking of building a new factory next door to the Valley!!

One midfielder I have had an eye on all season though is Kieth Andrews at MK Dons, a taller version of Kinsella.
  • Options
    Andrews is a decent energetic midfielder but he is no spring chick anymore, I think he may of just found his level
  • Options
    dress it up how you want but at the moment we're tenth and you don't have to go to a squillion games or read a squillion reports to see that the table doesn't lie
    and when we were 5th the performaces had been abysmal but the 'we're still 5th' excuse come out well the bad performances and non results continued and we're now 10th............6 points and 7goals behind 5th but only 2 points and 5 goals behind 6th( with 2 teams above with a game in hand tho)
  • Options
    gotta say in ream's defence stu PRESTON wanted it more,SCUNTHORPE wanted it more,BRISTOL CITY wanted it more some would say so did BURNLEY.I would say that is half our problem this season we are seen as a big scalp and we haven't been prepared to win the battle.